Boiler build

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Boiler build

Postby ticknaylor » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:41 pm

So I picked up a skinny keg I think its coopers style anyway I was wondering if anyone had fit a 4 inch ferrule and 4 inch fill port on one of these. My issue is due to the skinniness of the keg and the curvature near the edge I'm a bit stumped on what to do I don't think Im gunna have an issue stick welding it but if I have to build the weld up on the side with the gap im not that confident. The other issue is getting electrode in near where both ferrules meet which I don't think will be as big of an issue. I have cut the first hole so the ferrule fits on top of the keg im just wondering if anyone has cut the hole so the ferrule fits inside the hole and welded it? Cheers if anyone got any advice :handgestures-thumbupleft:

ticknaylor

Re: Boiler build

Postby JayD » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:59 am

ticknaylor wrote:So I picked up a skinny keg I think its coopers style anyway I was wondering if anyone had fit a 4 inch ferrule and 4 inch fill port on one of these.A...I have not but can guide you through this My issue is due to the skinniness of the keg and the curvature near the edge I'm a bit stumped on what to do I don't think Im gunna have an issue stick welding it but if I have to build the weld up on the side with the gap im not that confident. A...I just done like this and you grind the ferrule to match the curve of the keg. The other issue is getting electrode in near where both ferrules meet which I don't think will be as big of an issue.A...not really an issue,just do dummy runs first and dont forget to leave enough room to fit your clamps. I have cut the first hole so the ferrule fits on top of the keg im just wondering if anyone has cut the hole so the ferrule fits inside the hole and welded it? A...yes you could fit the ferrule into the hole but it would need to be a good fit as gaps increase the chance of blowthrough.Pasivation would be an issue. Cheers if anyone got any advice :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hope this helps.
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby ticknaylor » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:33 am

Thank JayD dunno what I was thinking grinding the ferrule seems obvious now thanks mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ticknaylor

Postby JayD » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:50 am

alls good...just tack it all in and check everything has it clearances and are plumb...clamps fit on etc..etc... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Kimbo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:25 pm

Just a thought, is there any reason why you cant cut the holes in the keg a couple of mm smaller and weld on the inside of the ferrule?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby dogbreath vodka » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:18 pm

Hey Kimbo
I was talking to a bloke about welding up a stainless boiler for me.
He said that if you leave a lip on the inside you can melt it back into the flange.

Not sure if he is going to tig it or what.
So your idea is on the right track from what I've heard.
:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Kimbo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:54 pm

dogbreathe vodka wrote:Hey Kimbo
He said that if you leave a lip on the inside you can melt it back into the flange.

Not sure if he is going to tig it or what.
So your idea is on the right track from what I've heard.
:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

DBV

Yeah, I just thought it might give the boiler a neat " weldless" look ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Fatherjack » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:57 pm

dogbreathe vodka wrote:Hey Kimbo
He said that if you leave a lip on the inside you can melt it back into the flange.DBV

Would it also remove the need to purge the weld as the backside of the weld would be on the outside of the keg ?? away from the product, as I understand it is only the other side of the weld that is purged?

I know SFA bout welding :laughing-rolling:
Fatherjack

equipment: 50l keg boiler
Mac pot still

Postby ticknaylor » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:05 pm

Kimbo wrote:Just a thought, is there any reason why you cant cut the holes in the keg a couple of mm smaller and weld on the inside of the ferrule?

Its funny you say this kimbo coz my old boys mate who's coded welder had a look at my keg today and he reckons the ferrule should be inside aswell. Anyway he dialled the welder in and left me to do it told me when ya f#$k it up ill fix it with my tig ya silly c&$% :laughing-rolling: no photo yet but the first ferrule went on okay I already had a hole in the keg from grinding I wouldnt recommend trying to fix these with an arc its a job for a tig I made the hole bigger trying to put a little piece of stainless on anyway im gunna weld some plate over it to fix it wont be pretty but it should do the trick. Used 60 amps and 2mm 316L rods as per JAYDs ebay deal. Its not as impossible as one might think just short welds and keep the arc moving. I should of done more practice on the offcuts I did three welds and dived into it which in hindsight was a bit silly but who cares its good practice and Macs ferrules are cheap :laughing-rolling:
ticknaylor

Postby 1 2many » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:14 pm

Good on ya for having a crack at it mate , just found this post looking forward to some pics, thanks for the welding tip.
Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Return to Boilers & burners.