Righto, Ive got the keg. Where to Now?

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Righto, Ive got the keg. Where to Now?

Postby Woodsy71 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:04 am

Ok,

Im kegged up.

The only other thing ive purchased is a kegking 2400w weldless element (and then read the plethora of bum reviews on said element :angry-banghead: )

What im unsure about is exactly what i need to purchase in order to create a basic electric setup for a 50l keg that encompasses.

1. A drain port.

2. A fill port

And from what ive read, i will need a better setup for the element.

Luckily, my neighbour is handy on the tools, so cuts, welding etc are covered and a sparky mate on the bench if required.

Ive read through the info in this section and there are so many ways to go about keg conversion.

Im not tech savvy, so basically want to write up a shopping list and get it done :handgestures-thumbupleft:

All advice appreciated

Thanks

Woodsy
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Re: Righto, ive got the keg. Where to Now?

Postby BackInBlack » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:48 am

Try the site store, they have all the s/s fittings and elements you need.
BackInBlack

equipment: 4 inch 6 plate FSD still
50ltr keg, cooking on gas

Re: Righto, ive got the keg. Where to know?

Postby backyard brewdog » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:57 am

Hey mate,

Keeping it simple sometimes is best. Everyone keeps talking about these fill ports and drain ports. Jeez we all started somewhere and added these things along the way :laughing-rolling:

If your mate is able to do the welding all well and good get the stuff done. I'm quite content with my drain only and no fill port. I pull my still down after every run anyway and don't do any back to back. My water temp is to high after a run to do another one :laughing-rolling: and after being with my beauty for about 4 hours i've had enough anyway.

With your element i'd suggest to save you some money in the mean time as i believe FSD weldless elements fit right in anyway. Drill your hole and fit the current element and as soon as it starts giving you grief, start looking at getting one of FSD ones. "Apparently" they reakon the've fixed them up again but then again you always hear all about the bad stories but never about the ones that are running fine.

Anyway good luck with it all and remember keep it simple, everyone has to start somewhere :handgestures-thumbupleft:
backyard brewdog

Postby Woodsy71 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:51 pm

Cheers BB,

Maybe it is best to start simple :think:

Problem with that is i think my kids attitude has rubbed off on me and now i require everything to be schmick, shiney, plugged in and above all........its all gotta f#*kin happen now :teasing-tease:

However, i will try to be a grown up and give the simplistic option some thought

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby Smbjk » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:58 pm

Woodsy71 wrote:Cheers BB,

Maybe it is best to start simple :think:

Problem with that is i think my kids attitude has rubbed off on me and now i require everything to be schmick, shiney, plugged in and above all........its all gotta f#*kin happen now :teasing-tease:

However, i will try to be a grown up and give the simplistic option some thought

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Fuck it build the best damm thing you can. Its going to be with you for a while :laughing-rolling: whats the saying measure twice cut once............research twice build once :D

Plenty of keg builds in the boilers section
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Return to Boilers & burners.