110L boiler

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Re: 110L boiler

Postby whiskeyshiner » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:34 pm

Got a question for the boilys out there. So ive passivated the outside of the welds as per the instructions on this sight stainless brush and acetone. What i found is on the inside of the weld is slag from where the weld has heated through and a wire brush wont remove it. Should i try to sand the inside then passivate or will it be okay im thinking i might just buy some pickling paste and hit it with the harder stuff?
whiskeyshiner

equipment: 4” bubbler on 100l boiler

Postby bayshine » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:48 pm

well mate
you need to chip of all that slag,which will be impossible if the weld has not fully penetrated.
also will be hard if you cannot reach inside but if you hit the outside with a hammer around the weld it will knock off all the loose slag :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby whiskeyshiner » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:49 pm

bayshine wrote:well mate
you need to chip of all that slag,which will be impossible if the weld has not fully penetrated.
also will be hard if you cannot reach inside but if you hit the outside with a hammer around the weld it will knock off all the loose slag :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks bayshine i should clarify its not slag its more like a carbon like material thats formed when it got hot its fully penetrated just must of form on the under side think ill give the dremel and some nasty chemicals a go :twisted:
whiskeyshiner

Postby whiskeyshiner » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:35 pm

okay so i found a joing that sells hydrfluoric, phosphuric and suphuric acid solution sweet i thought just check the MSDS on it and i buy it :roll: ermmmmm stuff that for a joke :laughing-rolling: hydroflouric acid destroys blood chemistry once on the skin searches out calcium and eats it away basically eats it from the inside hmmmm think i just grind and go with the acetone as already suggested on this site. Excuse my comments about using nasty chemicals guys i wouldnt recomend any home brewer touch this shit unless you have a full body suit and licensed to use it :naughty:
whiskeyshiner

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:28 pm

Hey W/Shiner

Hydrofluoric is the shit they use to dissolve quartz when they have a nugget they want to clean up......
Wouldn't touch the stuff with someone else's .....
:scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek:

Can't store it in glass... it eats it.

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby evant » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:28 am

whiskeyshiner wrote:Got a question for the boilys out there. So ive passivated the outside of the welds as per the instructions on this sight stainless brush and acetone. What i found is on the inside of the weld is slag from where the weld has heated through and a wire brush wont remove it. Should i try to sand the inside then passivate or will it be okay im thinking i might just buy some pickling paste and hit it with the harder stuff?

Nothing really to worry about, it can be referred to as sugaring and it almost looks like the weld is blowing out the back of the weld and also looks burnt and jagged, can't be avoided without fully purging your tank with argon when welding. All it means is your welds aren't food grade but will be fine for a boiler.
evant

equipment: Hybrid bubbler

Postby whiskeyshiner » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:26 pm

evant wrote:
whiskeyshiner wrote:Got a question for the boilys out there. So ive passivated the outside of the welds as per the instructions on this sight stainless brush and acetone. What i found is on the inside of the weld is slag from where the weld has heated through and a wire brush wont remove it. Should i try to sand the inside then passivate or will it be okay im thinking i might just buy some pickling paste and hit it with the harder stuff?

Nothing really to worry about, it can be referred to as sugaring and it almost looks like the weld is blowing out the back of the weld and also looks burnt and jagged, can't be avoided without fully purging your tank with argon when welding. All it means is your welds aren't food grade but will be fine for a boiler.

Thanks mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
whiskeyshiner

Previous

Return to Boilers & burners.