Adjustable Regulator overkill?

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Adjustable Regulator overkill?

Postby spit'n'shine » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:58 am

Just got a question for those using adjustable regs.. I bought a 0 - 4 Bar reg from UK and called a plumber about getting a hose made for it. He started asking what it was for and I told him it was for a 3 ring burner. He basically scared the shit out of me saying it was not suitable and that I was going to blow myself up!

I did a quick search but couldn't find it but I thought I saw a while ago that a few of you were using similar setups.. But I could be wrong. Can anybody see a problem using this setup? :?
spit'n'shine

equipment: 2" Boka , 2" Pot still , 4" 4 plate column blockhead "Angry Bob", 50l keg boiler (gas)

Re: Adjustable Regulator overkill?

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:30 pm

I had a two ring burner on a standard reg.It was bloody hopeless...It was not much different to a 1400 W element .
I got an adjustable HP reg and the burner roars now.I estimate it has an equivalent power to a 3600 W element.

I had a bitch of a time getting mine to work and was convinced the burner was faulty
...but the trick is to slowly warm up the burner for a few minuates ....then crank the gas up :-D

Incidently , I bought mine at a home brew shop.I doubt they would sell them if there was a risk of vlowing up their customer
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby kelbygreen » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:58 pm

I got one from BOC and run on a 3 ring burner prob used it every 2-3 weeks for the last 3 years and have not blown myself up yet. But as said let it warm up before cranking or it just blows gas out and not all jets will light up.

I would also hard plumb it with cooper or have a length of pipe on before you attach a soft flexible gas hose. So its not near the flame or heat.
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby spit'n'shine » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:09 pm

Cheers guys, so how higher pressure do your regs adjust to?
spit'n'shine

equipment: 2" Boka , 2" Pot still , 4" 4 plate column blockhead "Angry Bob", 50l keg boiler (gas)

Postby kelbygreen » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:04 pm

umm 400kpa I think but I have mine set to about 15kpa when the burner is off registers 0 when its on obviously. So its a bit of a overkill but I run 2 burners off it at once when I am mashing grains

Edit: put PSI but its in KPA :oops:

here is what I use:
http://www.boc.com.au/shop/en/au-boc-in ... -regulator
kelbygreen

Postby Andy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:12 pm

kelbygreen wrote:umm 400kpa I think but I have mine set to about 15kpa when the burner is off registers 0 when its on obviously. So its a bit of a overkill but I run 2 burners off it at once when I am mashing grains

Edit: put PSI but its in KPA :oops:

here is what I use:
http://www.boc.com.au/shop/en/au-boc-in ... -regulator

even though KPA was written when i read it, i thought shit, 400psi is huge! haha
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby kelbygreen » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:52 pm

well it says this: Max. Flow (L/min): 250 :scared-eek: so dont turn it full on and turn the burner on the 9kg bottle wont last long :laughing-rolling:
kelbygreen

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:08 pm

I got mine from Country brewer Here

They sell the Reg separately Code Number MG011 ( propane gas reg) for $33.00 :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Not sure on specs
Yummyrum

Postby kelbygreen » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:18 pm

Yeah I got one like that, is it a spiral burner? Use the 3 ring for mash water heat up and stilling and spiral for the 80lt boiler
kelbygreen

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:22 pm

Dunno Kelby ,I only got the reg ...was hopping santa might have bought the burner.....but :crying-blue:
Yummyrum

Postby kelbygreen » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:29 pm

THIS! is what I have but they have changed the base and put a grill and shroud on it since I bought it.
kelbygreen

Postby spit'n'shine » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:48 pm

kelbygreen wrote:well it says this: Max. Flow (L/min): 250 :scared-eek: so dont turn it full on and turn the burner on the 9kg bottle wont last long :laughing-rolling:

Yeah, mine is equivalent to 400 kpa but I guess thats fully open.. I suppose I'll just have to find a gas fitter that won't ask any questions :shhh:

Thanks Guys, it's great to be able to ask people who have "been there and done that".. Saves a lot of dicking around! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
spit'n'shine

Postby kelbygreen » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:38 pm

I run stock flexible lines on mine but I would not recommend it, Also there is no use having flames all the way up the side of the boiler. Your better off turning it back till its just contained to the bottom of the boiler otherwise you will waste gas. Sure it boils faster and what not but its more efficient to let it take a little longer and get a extra run out of the bottle to me.

Another thing that will majorly affect the efficiency and time is adjusting the fuel/air mixture. Some have a big screw where you turn the gas to the burners and some have a clamp which you have to loosen and move and test to see how it goes, But you want a nice blue flame not a orange and yellow one. Though it can be harder with higher pressure but adjust pressure and air mix till you dial it in.

Edit: Forgot to add adjust it with the boiler in place as it will act different to being open with nothing ontop. Put some water in there let it warm up for 10mins or so then adjust as said it will burn different from cold then when its heated
kelbygreen

Postby Smbjk » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:33 pm

Just gomto a camping store and just say you need a bit more juice for your burner so you can boil your prawns faster :D picked up a hi pressure reg for $50 with gas line already done so no gas fitter needed :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby kelbygreen » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:32 pm

them gas lines fit onto mine as well but I suggest having it hard plumbed away from the flames, I know you can get hard plumbed lines to screw in any way from BCF like This!
kelbygreen

Return to Boilers & burners.