Ideas anyone?

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Ideas anyone?

Postby davecuds » Fri May 02, 2014 1:33 am

Howdy howdy,
thought i would share a few pics and try get some feedback/ideas.
My parents own a small hobby vineyard and have (did have) around 3000L of wine that was undrinkable. So i made myself up a still and began churning through it, making some nice brandy. Now i have a neighbour with potentially another 6000-9000L of wine to process....thats a lot of brandy, but also a lot of work running it through a 50L still hahaha.

Anyway, around the place there are some nice SS tanks, i think some are from on old brewery so i was thininking of making something a little bigger....would be criminal not to right?

What do you reckon?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davecuds

equipment: 50L boiler, 4 plate bubbler. 3600w element, SSR controlled

Re: Ideas anyone?

Postby sp0rk » Fri May 02, 2014 8:34 am

davecuds wrote:Howdy howdy,
thought i would share a few pics and try get some feedback/ideas.
My parents own a small hobby vineyard and have (did have) around 3000L of wine that was undrinkable. So i made myself up a still and began churning through it, making some nice brandy. Now i have a neighbour with potentially another 6000-9000L of wine to process....thats a lot of brandy, but also a lot of work running it through a 50L still hahaha.

Anyway, around the place there are some nice SS tanks, i think some are from on old brewery so i was thininking of making something a little bigger....would be criminal not to right?

What do you reckon?

Those tanks look like they'd go great in my little brewery ;)
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby gad » Fri May 02, 2014 9:07 am

So that's what heaven looks like !
gad

equipment: pre 2005 - 25L Reflux / Pot Still,
Mar 2019 - 1.5" Reflux Still.
Aug 2019 - 2" self built Reflux / Pot still.
50L Keg boiler.

Postby Yummyrum » Fri May 02, 2014 9:23 am

Dave ,none of my business but that sounds way more than personal consumption .

With that much wine seeming to be available,perhaps it might be time to look into going commercial .....people talk and the word is obviously out if your neighbors know .From a few comments others with present license to manufacture wine have said, it is not too much more difficulty to upgrade to a distillery.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby davecuds » Fri May 02, 2014 9:56 am

Well i have thought about it...who hasn't right? I talked with another neighbour about it and he had already looked into it and said it wasn't too difficult. But im only a novice...anyone out there interested in starting a distillery?! :laughing-rolling:
davecuds

Postby Clickeral » Fri May 02, 2014 10:02 am

Hey just to put it out there, if you can decant it into a 220L barrel I'd happily take some off your hands :p (potentially a few loads)

Not sure where you are located but im sure freight wouldn't be to bad haha
Clickeral

equipment: 5 Hectoliters of Fermenting space (120L temp controlled)
12 Plate modular procap bubbler with 1020mm stainless packed sections and super reflux condenser
50L Milk can boiler 2x 2400w or 70L kettle (2x 2200w)
3v nanobrewery mashing

Postby MacStill » Fri May 02, 2014 10:19 am

You're talking about a potential of around 1000 litres of alcohol at 95% which is far more than any hobby stiller could use, and I'm guessing the winery isnt a licensed distillery.

I do not like where this topic is heading, and do not for one minute believe we are talking about distilling for personal use with those quantities.

:roll:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby davecuds » Fri May 02, 2014 10:47 am

Just to clear it up. I know thats a lot of alcohol but the wine is just sitting there and will go to waste. Im sure im like most people on here who just like making alcohol...i dont even drink that much. However i do hate seeing things go to waste. Ideally i will process most of it and just stick it back in one of the oak barrels and have brandy for life! Also make good presents and bartering :) I got most of my SS work and advice on copper working for a few litres of neutrals. It's more valuable than gold sometimes :)

I also like to be as efficient as i can, hence the upgrade to a bigger boiler but you are probably right, more hassle than what its worth. Those tanks are so nice and shiny and have just been sitting there for years
davecuds

Postby MacStill » Fri May 02, 2014 10:54 am

You're talking about a potential $80,000 dollars in unpaid excise, are you sure you want to keep the discussion going on a public forum ?

You also just admitted payment for services with illegally made alcohol.

If you're trying to attract the attention of excise officers you're doing a pretty good job, I'm pretty sure they monitor these types of sites ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Kimbo » Fri May 02, 2014 11:02 am

I agree with Mac on this one and there for I am locking the thread...... I dont like where this may end up x_x
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Return to Boilers & burners.