Keg Boiler build Tutorial?

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Keg Boiler build Tutorial?

Postby George.bryant.nz » Fri May 16, 2014 4:35 pm

Hello!

I got a keg a few weeks ago after my copper head boiler was stolen.

Wanting to use my copper head reflux head on a keg boiler.

Question is: Are there any keg boiler build tutorials?
George.bryant.nz

equipment: Copperhead combo boiler, copperhead reflux head, copperhead pot head, air still, 2 x cooper fermenters, 1 x imake fermenter. Hydrometers, alchometers and various other bits and bobs.

Re: Keg Boiler build Tutorial?

Postby Andy » Fri May 16, 2014 4:41 pm

http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2083
Link to remove clips

then its just a matter of drilling into keg to put in element. drill with oil or water
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby George.bryant.nz » Fri May 16, 2014 4:46 pm

Cheers,

Just want ideas of how to:

-Make filler port and cover
-Drill and weld element sockets
-Work out drainage system
-Attached copperhead reflux head (Mac is helping me with this)

:-)
George.bryant.nz

equipment: Copperhead combo boiler, copperhead reflux head, copperhead pot head, air still, 2 x cooper fermenters, 1 x imake fermenter. Hydrometers, alchometers and various other bits and bobs.

Postby George.bryant.nz » Fri May 16, 2014 5:53 pm

Andy wrote:http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2083
Link to remove clips

then its just a matter of drilling into keg to put in element. drill with oil or water

Clip was out in about 15 seconds after getting it back to workshop and cleaned the bastard out with the steam cleaner.
George.bryant.nz

Postby limitedsky » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:56 pm

George.bryant.nz wrote:Cheers,

I would love a good 'how to' on this also. Just some simple instructions for a tried and true build with a parts list.

You ever find a good one George? Anyone else got a link?
limitedsky

equipment: 2" Boka
2" Pot

Postby Sam. » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:29 pm

limitedsky wrote:
George.bryant.nz wrote:Cheers,

I would love a good 'how to' on this also. Just some simple instructions for a tried and true build with a parts list.

You ever find a good one George? Anyone else got a link?

The search function works pretty good :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Or if you don't want the hassle you can buy a rig ready to run from 5 Star ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby limitedsky » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:26 am

Yeah, the google search does work pretty well, and there a bunch of posts with people looking for help with their keg build and similar posts on homedistiller.org.
But nothing I found was just a simple, straight forward, proven method, guide or tutorial.
limitedsky

2" Pot

Postby rumdidlydum » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:51 am

If you read each post on all 7 pages in the boiler section you will know what you want and what you need. Every one has diferent needs and ideas. You will also find out what doesn't work. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby limitedsky » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:00 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:If you read each post on all 7 pages in the boiler section you will know what you want and what you need. Every one has diferent needs and ideas. You will also find out what doesn't work. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'm sure you're right and I KNOW I'm lazy. But reading every post on every page of every thread on each one of the seven pages of the keg build topic is exactly what I was hoping to avoid! I imagined there would just be a nice step-step sure-fire build tutorial out there some place.
limitedsky

2" Pot

Postby Geeps » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:58 pm

limitedsky wrote:
rumdidlydum wrote:If you read each post on all 7 pages in the boiler section you will know what you want and what you need. Every one has diferent needs and ideas. You will also find out what doesn't work. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'm sure you're right and I KNOW I'm lazy. But reading every post on every page of every thread on each one of the seven pages of the keg build topic is exactly what I was hoping to avoid! I imagined there would just be a nice step-step sure-fire build tutorial out there some place.

G'day limited
Just take ya time and look around as suggested all the info there,
and you will get ideas to make one that will be your own.

Then if your in a bit of a bind on something just ask nicely and i'm sure you will
get the help you want. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

This hobby's main ingredient is patience.
Geeps

equipment: Rose oil extractor

Postby woodduck » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:39 pm

Hi limited

As said above patience is the key to this hobby, nothing worth doing is done over night.

I came to this forum exactly like you, wanting a quick fix for the things i wanted to do but soon found out that was not going to be the case. all the people on this forum that have built something have put alot of time and effort into not only the practical side but the theory aswell. (I know i read uncountable pages of threads before i started to build). They are all willing to share their knowledge but not by just wacking up one post with plans on it but showing people their thoughts on why they did it the way they did. Surely you wouldn't just hand over your knowledge to just anyone, I've found the currency for someone's knowledge on this forum is the time to do research, if your willing to do that then you will find the info will be far more freely given.

I can tell you now if i made my bubbler straight of a plan I'd have no idea what it was or how to run it or why it is the way it is. While your looking for the how to build stuff here you are learning so much more about the art of distilling.

Good luck on your journey mate and remember you will get out what you put in :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Return to Boilers & burners.