T500 Boiler Modification

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

T500 Boiler Modification

Postby Woodsy71 » Fri May 16, 2014 6:22 pm

Good evening All,

Im toying with the idea of drilling a hole and throwing a 900 watt element in the side of my T500 boiler.

The plan is to use the inbuilt 2000watt element to bring the wash to the boil then switch to the 900 for the spirit run.

Id only be using this method for spirit runs, as an alternative to a voltage controller.

Discuss :-B

Edit: I forgot to mention that this theory is for when im in potstill mode.
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Re: T500 Boiler Modification

Postby APR » Fri May 16, 2014 7:11 pm

Woodsy71 wrote:Good evening All,

Im toying with the idea of drilling a hole and throwing a 900 watt element in the side of my T500 boiler.

I have the Keg King 2,000 watt boiler which looks pretty much identical to the T500 boiler, and I have modified mine so I have around 1,000 watt of heating capacity when I don't need full power. Assuming your boiler is the same as mine.....

You can see there is a stainless steel bridge from the end of one element to the end of the other (the two elements are in the one casting). It was the same on the other end of the elements. Remove either bridge and replace it with a length of 1.5mm sq electrical wire with an on/off switch in the middle of the wire. I have used the 5 amp rated switch out of an old computer power supply. Mount the new switch beside the boiler power switch and you are done.

I should also point out that the existing wires are insulated to suit the boiler temperature. I used a silicone insulated wire designed for remote control car battery wiring that I have at home.

http://hobbyking.com.au/hobbyking/store ... ouse_.html
APR

equipment: A couple of 2" boka stills with a few different concepts implemented in them.

Postby SBB » Fri May 16, 2014 7:24 pm

Woodsy71 wrote: as an alternative to a voltage controller.

Probably not what you want to hear , but a voltage controller would give you a lot more flexibility. The sides of those boilers are pretty flimsy, I wouldn't like to be trying to mount anything into one, the potential for problems seems to be more than its worth to me.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Woodsy71 » Sat May 17, 2014 7:52 am

Thanks APR,

Yours looks to be a simple avenue to explore :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I will give the boiler to a sparky mate for the mods.

Thanks again
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Return to Boilers & burners.