Removing the spear on a Swan Keg

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Removing the spear on a Swan Keg

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat May 17, 2014 9:33 am

G'day Guy's,
With that Swan Keg I didn't find any threads on removing the spear so as I worked out how to remove it I took a few pic's and there is a trap or two to be aware of.

The Swan Keg, First use a pipe wrench etc to unscrew the cap and it will rise about 10mm at the most.

next there is a rubber keeper that needs to be removed and I found a couple of screwdrivers did the job nicley

Once the rubber keeper is removed one will find a SS retaining washer and a spring

Carefully remove that SS retaining washer using a couple of screw drivers AND BE AWARE once that said retaining washer is free it head for the moon taking your nose with it if it is in the way....

Now simply remove the spring and the spear and the job is done.

Now the flange measures 69mm OD so I do think a 3" tri clamp should fit so no other mod's should be needed to use a Swan Keg for a boiler

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Re: Removing the spear on a Swan Keg

Postby punchy21 » Sat May 17, 2014 10:50 am

3" tri clamp??? Should be a 2"... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby bt1 » Sat May 17, 2014 11:17 am

Seems like the hard way to do it for mine... knock the seal ring backward to release...a socket over centre pressed down and rotated avoids the need to be pulling the rubber seal out and will drop the spear.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby res » Sat May 17, 2014 3:49 pm

bt1 wrote:Seems like the hard way to do it for mine... knock the seal ring backward to release...a socket over centre pressed down and rotated avoids the need to be pulling the rubber seal out and will drop the spear.

bt1

That was the way I tried it but couldn't get sufficient grip on the center part to turn it, ended up going the hack much like Bryan. I think I used a screwdriver/pliers combination from memory, worked pretty well. It's probably a good idea to mention the whole push down the rubber seal to release any pressure before starting (safety first :teasing-neener: ). Also the only tool I had to unscrew the top cap was a bench vice 8-} worked though.
Also if you can manage the bt1 style it's easy to remove the little catch that prevents you from just unscrewing the spear and top cap all at once should you want to reuse the keg for something similar to it's original purpose. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby crow » Sat May 17, 2014 4:32 pm

These are the same as the SA beer kegs yes I couldn't turn it and did it the same as you pretty much, tthe tabs can be just bent in if you wanted to use the bung as a lid at any stage. Yes a 2" triclover will fit on the keg perfectly
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Return to Boilers & burners.