Air/fuel mix

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Air/fuel mix

Postby kickarum » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:47 am

Hi all
Have a 50L keg/boiler mounted on a car rim with a 3 ring burner still on the standard regulator. thought before I grab a hp reg I should see what can be achieved with this setup. Firstly the rim needed to be lifted to let air flow so I placed 3 pavers narrow edge in under it seemed to improve the flame colour and form, then placed 3x4mm between the keg and rim to allow exhausting but not too much trying to keep heat in, again Improved flame. Removed the brass air restricting discs altogether again improved, finally we built a small manifold from 1/2" with 3x4mm pipes brazed in to match the jet pitch of the burner and with a small regulator mounted to my air compressor started to play around with air injection of the burner ports. The end result was 40L of WATER brought to full boil in 55mins with the standard reg and no insulation. This is only a rough setup and room for way more improvement. Has anyone else added air or even premixed air/fuel ?
Cheers Mick the fuel miser.

image (1).jpg

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sam. on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed picture orientation for the ones with sore necks :)
kickarum

equipment: Penny Copper pot still, 50L Keg/Boiler

Re: Air/fuel mix

Postby bt1 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:51 am

Really does warrant a fair consideration. A good workable soln Kick WD :handgestures-thumbupleft:

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Geeps » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:59 pm

Bet it works even better if ya 50L keg/boiler wasen't upside down :whistle:

yer i know back in me box.
Geeps

equipment: Rose oil extractor

Postby kickarum » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:45 pm

Hey Geeps :teasing-blah:
Thanks for that very informative feedback :violence-stickwhack:
Cheers mate :laughing-rolling:
kickarum

Postby Sam. » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:16 pm

What you two talking about? :?

:laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby pulsetech » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:17 pm

the Photo is Right side up now.
pulsetech

equipment: 4"

Postby pulsetech » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:19 pm

kickarum wrote:Hi all
Have a 50L keg/boiler mounted on a car rim with a 3 ring burner still on the standard regulator. thought before I grab a hp reg I should see what can be achieved with this setup. Firstly the rim needed to be lifted to let air flow so I placed 3 pavers narrow edge in under it seemed to improve the flame colour and form, then placed 3x4mm between the keg and rim to allow exhausting but not too much trying to keep heat in, again Improved flame. Removed the brass air restricting discs altogether again improved, finally we built a small manifold from 1/2" with 3x4mm pipes brazed in to match the jet pitch of the burner and with a small regulator mounted to my air compressor started to play around with air injection of the burner ports. The end result was 40L of WATER brought to full boil in 55mins with the standard reg and no insulation. This is only a rough setup and room for way more improvement. Has anyone else added air or even premixed air/fuel ?
Cheers Mick the fuel miser.

image (1).jpg

image.jpg

Air Injection I like the idea :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
It works for furnaces. Makes sense that it would work on your boiler
pulsetech

Postby SBB » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:22 pm

All good ideas but Im still not still not sure that all is as it should be there. Those three ringers can go pretty hard without the turbo charging and removal of the brass rings.
:think:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Sam. » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:23 pm

I reckon it will only work up to the point where that fuel air mix is optimum for the pressure you are delivering.

A cheap high pressure adjustable reg will make a shit load of difference ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby pulsetech » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:29 pm

But use more gas

If you can get a more complete burn with less gas its going to lower your operating cost.
pulsetech

Postby Sam. » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:36 pm

pulsetech wrote:But use more gas

If you can get a more complete burn with less gas its going to lower your operating cost.

Depends what you want I guess, I want my run up to temp NOW!!! :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby pulsetech » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:41 pm

kickarum wrote:
Cheers Mick the fuel miser.]

I think part of his goal is to save on gas without giving up performance
pulsetech

Postby Sam. » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:03 pm

pulsetech wrote:
kickarum wrote:
Cheers Mick the fuel miser.]

I think part of his goal is to save on gas without giving up performance

A higher pressure reg will deliver more gas but if the mix is right it should be just as efficient, it will use more gas but will heat up quicker ;-)

If efficiency is the key I would be looking at insulating the boiler :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby kickarum » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:02 pm

Thanks all
This is the type of feedback I wanted, and to get my pic inverted :-D . Everyone has made strong valid points which I agree with, especially insulation. The point I'm trying to make is Efficiency doesn't just equal more gas. I'm just trying to make gas burn as efficiently a possible, trap the heat as much as is practical and direct the Hot air flow in the most advantageous direction all under the shroud of insulated ducting, then if necessary or wanted use more gas. All feedback greatly appreciated.
Cheers Mick.
9kg refill here = $27
kickarum

Postby SBB » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:31 pm

Check ya bloody PMs Kicka i think they could be stacking up there.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Return to Boilers & burners.