Burner Advice

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Burner Advice

Postby Sinerjee » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:05 pm

Hi All,

http://www.bunnings.com.au/gatemate-3-r ... r_p3180208
I'm looking at buying either one of these or the 2 ring variant, to use as a burner for my 50L keg until I can afford to get everything welded in and turned to electric.
My only issue is that it only seems comes with the regular BBQ regulator. I haven't had much luck finding an adjustable regulator on the Bunnings website so would somebody be able to help me in the right direction?
I'd prefer ready made rather than having to knock something up myself.

Cheers
Sinerjee

equipment: FSD 4" Modular Pot
FSD 4" Packed Section, RC and Gin Caddy added.
30L Keg running on Gas.

Re: Burner Advice

Postby Redux » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:14 pm

this burner takes my 50lt from 5c to 76c in 1h20m.... thats using the standard reg..... any more pull and my bottle freezes up.
Redux

equipment: 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on a 50lt gasser keg ...
set up in a wee shed....

Postby Sinerjee » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:16 pm

I'm not too fussed how long it's going to take me to get upto temp. It's being able to dial it back to control output that I'm after. Would I need an adjustable reg for that, or will the standard one be fine for a pot still?
Sinerjee

30L Keg running on Gas.

Postby Redux » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:20 pm

theres no dial... but you can run any combination of the rings.... the small one on its own would be a very low power i think...
Redux

set up in a wee shed....

Postby Sinerjee » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Ah yep hadn't noticed those little taps haha. Looks like that will be the go then. Hopefully when I move I have gas still so I can just use a house bottle haha.

Thanks for your help :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sinerjee

30L Keg running on Gas.

Postby Whiskyaugogo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:03 pm

G'day mate, I started with a 20mgj burner and while it finally heated the keg (90 minutes+ later) the heat adjustments just weren't good enough. So I upgrade to this;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260604708400

This heats 45 litres in about 45 mins and I can turn it down nicely once hitting reflux. I also got a stainless gas cable instead of the plastic as while I love the gas, it scares the shit out if me. :scared-eek:
Whiskyaugogo
Site Donor

equipment: To be updated

Postby Sinerjee » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:32 pm

Wow that's an intense bit of kit. I'll definitely look into that if I decide to stay with gas. At this stage the plan is to upgrade to 2 2400W elements once I've upgraded to a bubbler. That way I won't need to control temperature at all.
Sinerjee

30L Keg running on Gas.

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:56 pm

That way I won't need to control temperature at all.

What do you mean here, Sinerjee?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby kickarum » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:37 pm

Hi Sinerjee
I run that 3 ring burner on the standard reg 40L to boil and the 1st liter off in 1 hr cheap on gas. Stripping run all 3 rings all the way 7liters an hour slows to about 5-6 litres in tails sit you keg on a car rim, elevate the rim 20-30mm to allow air flow I also run a tiny bench fan. For a spirit run 40 Litre boil 45min approx then shut down small a large ring just run medium ring flat out and turn off the fan runs at 2litres an hour. I suspect not all the standard regs run at the same pressure
Cheers Kicka
kickarum

equipment: Penny Copper pot still, 50L Keg/Boiler

Postby SBB » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:51 pm

SinerJ That 3 ring will work fine for you with a 50 L keg, I wouldn't bother with a two ringer...too slow on heat up.
Once up to temp you shouldn't need much more than just the smallest ring going for a spirit run with a pot still, you might have to crack the second ring open just a bit, that parts gunna be trial and error.

kickarum wrote: Stripping run all 3 rings all the way 7liters an hour slows to about 5-6 litres in tails sit you keg on a car rim, elevate the rim 20-30mm to allow air flow I also run a tiny bench fan.

Sounds like y got that burner worked out in the end Kicka :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Sinerjee » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:43 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:
That way I won't need to control temperature at all.

What do you mean here, Sinerjee?

Zak, from what I've been able to understand from reading, 2400W seems to be about perfect for a full bubbler system. Doesn't overpower the reflux condenser so it's good to heat up with two elements then drop back down to one once I reach operating temp. I might have read that wrong though.

kickarum wrote:Hi Sinerjee
I run that 3 ring burner on the standard reg 40L to boil and the 1st liter off in 1 hr cheap on gas. Stripping run all 3 rings all the way 7liters an hour slows to about 5-6 litres in tails sit you keg on a car rim, elevate the rim 20-30mm to allow air flow I also run a tiny bench fan. For a spirit run 40 Litre boil 45min approx then shut down small a large ring just run medium ring flat out and turn off the fan runs at 2litres an hour. I suspect not all the standard regs run at the same pressure
Cheers Kicka

Awesome info there Kicka, How did you elevate the rim for the air flow? Just some planks or similar?

SBB wrote:SinerJ That 3 ring will work fine for you with a 50 L keg, I wouldn't bother with a two ringer...too slow on heat up.
Once up to temp you shouldn't need much more than just the smallest ring going for a spirit run with a pot still, you might have to crack the second ring open just a bit, that parts gunna be trial and error.

Definitely looks the way to go then. Thanks SBB :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sinerjee

30L Keg running on Gas.

Postby Redux » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:24 am

Sinerjee wrote:
Awesome info there Kicka, How did you elevate the rim for the air flow? Just some planks or similar?

i used 4 bricks to sit the keg on...., they dont burn and leave gaps between for air flow...

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Redux

set up in a wee shed....

Postby kickarum » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:54 am

Redux wrote:
Sinerjee wrote:

i used 4 bricks to sit the keg on...., they dont burn and leave gaps between for air flow...

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yer just used 3 paver bricks to trial, then welded on 3 steel flat bar feet about 30mm long all very stable 3 feet won't rock.
Cheers Kicka.
kickarum

equipment: Penny Copper pot still, 50L Keg/Boiler

Postby bt1 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:22 am

I've tried several burners but have gone to a 4 ring. Faster heat times.

The control on a three ring is pretty good, in addition to turning a ring off altogether the scope for adjusting a ring is good. The two's are way slow for heating and lack the punch for stripping.
Just avoid Mongolian burners, sooty , expensive to run, bugga all control.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Return to Boilers & burners.