Keggle build

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Keggle build

Postby Mad » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:24 pm

Hi everyone,

So after not even a full 25ltr wash in my current 5ltr boiler what I thought would work well for me due to time constraints has just been the opposite, trying to find 2hr blocks free to get out there and do my thang is just hopeless, so in come the keggle... I'm only doing this due to my friend giving me an unused keg that was laying around and for about $60 worth of parts from FSD I'll have myself a 50ltr electric boiler which I'll put aside a day for to do large runs all at once
objective - build boiler
Outcome - happy wife ,hopefully :)

Details: 50ltr lion Nathan's keg
3600w element wired as 2x 1800w controlled by individual switchs
Have ordered a voltage regulator but just as backup control most likely won't use due to element config.
2" Tri clamp and end cap fitted with suitable hole to fit current super reflux head
(Leaving the keg top untouched will allow my future self to modify as needed when I inevitably upgrade and have funds to do so)
Whatever size stainless ball valve I can find as drain port

Still hunting a few parts like the 1"bspp fitting to weld in and have to source my cable and 15amp plugs and switchs
Hopefully some things I've ordered will show up before weekend and I can just start peicing things together, seems pretty run of the mill nothing wild and out there.

Does running insulation around the keg actually help enough to make it worth while? Like are we talking 5 minutes quicker or 15 sort of thing?
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Re: Keggle build

Postby benpandaae86 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:37 pm

The insulation does make a diff not just to start up but i also wrapped my tower it made a difference if a stiff breeze came through it would knock temp off also keeps my shed cooler :handgestures-thumbupleft:
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Postby Mad » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:28 pm

Had a great little present from Mac arrive today now to find myself some argon and get this thing under way!
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Postby CyBaThUg » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:54 pm

Be sure to back purge if u can't get it with a flap disc or u will end up with horrible cauliflower crap on the other side that can rust
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Postby Mad » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:48 am

Thanks seeing as I'm not the one welding I had no idea about that so just had a quick read up that would use a lot of gas wouldnt it? Due to the keg size. ** Que the head bashing :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: ** should have just bought a 4" ferrule
Mad

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:15 am

I'm still trying to work out what a 'keggle' is?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Sam. » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:32 am

Zak Griffin wrote:I'm still trying to work out what a 'keggle' is?

Yeah bad wording, I believe he wants to build a boiler.

A keggle is a beer thing that's a keg turned into a kettle, I have one for brew in a bag :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Mad » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:41 am

Lol sorry zak every where I looked there were keggles seemingly only difference is we want the top in tact for the most part. Just thought its a cool word lol a keg kettle but yes mine will be a boiler
Mad

Postby Mad » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:16 pm

So its all tigged up went to upload a piccy but its blurry! So instead here is the wiring ill be using havent decided how im earthing it just yet stopped for the night seeing as theres a cyclone on its way to my front door.

I finally found argon FREE. work let me take a full E2 sized bottle home for the weekend was rather pleased with myself and can organise that anytime i need
Mad

Re: Keggle build - its alive!

Postby Mad » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:10 pm

Well it might of sat for a couple of weeks half done but its completed. And no leaks!! EnjoyImageImageImageImageImage
few things i will tweak along the way. Like its a 1" drain hole running a 3/4 valve due to availability and need a bit more support on my jbox on the side of the keg, sikaflex is on the cards went to use my tube to find it dried out lol. Its running some vinegar through it now just to clean it up a bit for its maiden voyage over the weekend hopefully.
Mad

Postby Andy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:49 am

mate, that is really clever!
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby rumdidlydum » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:10 am

Nice keg mad. Did you do the tig welding?
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Mad » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:11 am

Nah i didnt do it rum, i wanted to give it a go but only had gas over weekend and only got a sunday arv with the father in law to get it done so we smashed it out. Seems i can get gas fairly easily from work so i will give it a go when i buy some stainless to use as legs and weld them onto the keg myself. Thanks andy got a lot of the ideas from ben with his switch box. Just made a simpler version using the double power point. All up it cost about $80. Element and triclamp thanks to Mac and FSD.
Mad

Postby Mad » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:52 pm

Good thing im resourceful, pulled my reflux off the lid and a bit of thread chipped away, quickly threw some fittings on and made up a gasket seeing as wifey wouldn't give me her silicon baking trays this is all i had to work with and luckily just enough of the tape left to wrap the cardboard.ImageImage. Hopefully all will seal because ive already filled the keg ready for its maiden voyage lol. Might have to b on hand with silicon to plug any holes nothing :whistle:
Mad

Postby Mad » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:07 pm

I was so eager to crank up the new toy volt regulator hasnt showed up but thought "she be right" lol seems i have done my first stripping run in a sense lol. At 1800w i couldn't control it well enough had a steady stream no drip drip with full water on. Such a still warm night in the shed which didnt help and i dont even have a fan to put on it lol. Not all a waste the keg has performed like a BOSS!!! - and i have enough to do a 2nd run in my lil 5ltr boiler so all will be resurected in the 2nd run should taste sweet
Mad

Postby Misfit_brewing » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:40 pm

I have a question and excuse me if has already been covered but the weld less elements is there a nut u need to attach on the inside of keg to hold element there. Ask as I want to build something very similar and that's my main issue at the moment
Cheers
Misfit_brewing

equipment: Looking at a 50l keg pot still

Postby 1 2many » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:46 pm

Misfit_brewing wrote:I have a question and excuse me if has already been covered but the weld less elements is there a nut u need to attach on the inside of keg to hold element there. Ask as I want to build something very similar and that's my main issue at the moment
Cheers

No mate the nut is on the out side of the keg and very easy to install. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Misfit_brewing » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:13 pm

Excellent then I shall commence my build then :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Misfit_brewing

equipment: Looking at a 50l keg pot still

Postby Mad » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:54 pm

I went with screw in element in the end misfit managed to get argon and welded a fitting in so worked out well. But I beleive the weldless elements you pop inside the hole at the top of your keg with string attached (to help guide it to your hole) Once it's through your hole, your home sweet home, string off, nut on, job done. Don't forget pictures are always a winner.
Mad

Postby 1 2many » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:18 pm

Mad wrote:I went with screw in element in the end misfit managed to get argon and welded a fitting in so worked out well. But I beleive the weldless elements you pop inside the hole at the top of your keg with string attached (to help guide it to your hole) Once it's through your hole, your home sweet home, string off, nut on, job done. Don't forget pictures are always a winner.

Yep simples. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Next

Return to Boilers & burners.