Zak's 'Fat Boy' Boiler

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Re: Zak's 18Gal Keg Boiler

Postby mudsta » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:38 am

Zak Griffin wrote:Well I talked to Mac last night, and he reckons 80L is about the minimum you want for a 6" still... Soooooo

I'm going to cut this keg under the middle ring, and my other 18gal keg above the middle ring, and glue them together for a total volume of aboooout 120L :happy-partydance:

^:)^

Zak Griffin wrote:Now I've gotta cut the holes for the still port and SSG fill port. The fill port will take a bit of work, I need to extend the ferrule to make up for the shape of the top of the keg.

My keg is the same profile on the top as your original photo. Was planning of 4" still mount and 4" SG/fill port but don't have the space.
Ended up opting for a 2" SG/fill port... :think:
mudsta
Site Donor

equipment: 18 Gallon boiler- 2 x 2400W elements, VC, 5 star neutralizer

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:07 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Yesterday I swapped one of my kegs for one that had already had the top cut off :handgestures-thumbupleft: saves me cutting up 2 good kegs...

Then I cut the bottom off of mine, just below the center ring. A bit of hammer work and I now have a ~110L boiler!

Now I've gotta cut the holes for the still port and SSG fill port. The fill port will take a bit of work, I need to extend the ferrule to make up for the shape of the top of the keg.

Nice boiler Zak ,I had the same problem of needing to extend some ferrules for the curve,so I bought some pipe extension of Mac and cut it in half wich gave me two long ferrules.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:18 pm

Not a bad idea, Billy!

I've got a bit of 3" SS pipe that I'll use for the legs and this fill port extension :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:45 pm

Something else I have done to my last two boilers is to fit a second tap at the maximum fill level,so when you charge up the still ,I open the second tap and have a short hose into a container ,then you fill until the second tap over flows .Ya cannot over fill and you donnot have to measure as you fill,and when finances agree I will add spray balls inside on these taps to make rinseing an cleaning easy.cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:12 pm

That's not a bad idea either... It won't work with my boiler insulation though ;-)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Re: Zak's 'Fat Boy' Boiler

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:46 am

Scored a few bits for the Fat Boy over the last few weeks. Got a 3" 90° SS elbow to extend the fill port, and a couple of 1" elbows, threaded pipe and a tap for the drain. Lined up a mate to TIG it all up, now I just need to cut some holes and find some 2-3" SS pipe for the legs and we'll be off!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Previous

Return to Boilers & burners.