Keg coupling, what is it?

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Postby Bursal » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:36 pm

I scored a 50l keg today and it has this coupling on it. How do I attack it without blowing off my head?
Keg coupler.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bursal

equipment: Building new pot and VM still heads on 50lt keg, system interchangable using triclamps and ferrules. Column 2" copper. More details as it is built.

Re: Keg coupling, what is it?

Postby olddog » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:01 pm

Release the pressure first, then get a stilson wrench that will open up to the size of the fitting and unscrew the whole topsection, you will find a standard size sankey fitting underneath. :dance: :dance: :dance:

OD
olddog

equipment: Flute Mk 11 4 plate column with single 2" bubble caps

Postby jamjar » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:04 pm

I lie mine on their sides and then use a large screwdriver to press in the rubber seal to let the gas out then they just unscrew, much easier than the other standard sort of keg.

Hoping to get a couple more like that as they make for good storage.
jamjar

equipment: 2" Boka

Postby The Pope » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:25 pm

It's a Tooheys/Coopers type Sankey.
I actually did one today to start my boiler.
Release the pressure by pushing on the rubber section with a large screwdriver.
Then using pliers push down on the rubber, grab the internal centre metal piece and turn it around to unlock it. Then you can remove the entire centre section with a pair of Stilsons around the outter centre piece ...
The Pope

equipment: None yet

Postby MacStill » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:29 pm

The Pope wrote:It's a Tooheys/Coopers type Sankey.
I actually did one today to start my boiler.
Release the pressure by pushing on the rubber section with a large screwdriver.
Then using pliers push down on the rubber, grab the internal centre metal piece and turn it around to unlock it. Then you can remove the entire centre section with a pair of Stilsons around the outter centre piece ...

For safety sake stand the keg up right and lean over it when releasing the pressure, you wouldnt want the screwdriver to slip :mrgreen:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:55 pm

Side is safer...ya not going to end up with a face full of of stale beer that way.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby maheel » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:02 pm

i use a socket on a t bar that fits the rubber ring and push down to get the pressure out, throw a towel over the top to stop getting covered in beer.

then do the grab and twist of the middle bit, or jam to screwdriver down inside the rubber area to catch the gas in / beer out holes in the "sipke" and twist and push etc

you can also use a punch / pin / driver to open if you dont have a set of Stilsons big enough to open it
poke it in the hole in the "ring" on an angle and tap with hammer to get it turning around

keep degassing as you go as gas can build up again quite fast

once you have the spear out cut the lock tab off, reassemble it and you can just screw it in and out easy
maheel

Postby MacStill » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:24 pm

SBB wrote:Side is safer...ya not going to end up with a face full of of stale beer that way.

SHHHHHHHHHHHH :angry-banghead:

:text-lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Bursal » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:00 pm

Thanks for help, all sounds easy until I come to do it
:text-thankyoublue:
Bursal

equipment: Building new pot and VM still heads on 50lt keg, system interchangable using triclamps and ferrules. Column 2" copper. More details as it is built.

Postby maheel » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:19 pm

if you need more help i can do some pics, i have the A type (same as yours) kegs in the shed
maheel

Postby Bursal » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:48 pm

Thanks Maheel, sounds good not only for me but others as well. If you have time it would be appreciated, no rush because the silly season is approaching rapidly and I think this one will go on the back burner. When I did my first keg the tutorial on AD was really helpful and gave me confidence to tackle the job.
Bursal

Postby kingy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:40 pm

Old thread but can someone tell me which direction to twist undo the spear.
kingy

equipment: 4inch modular up to 5 plates and a packed section
50 litre 2x 2400w elements boiler
100 litre E herms brewery with a 130litre gas boiler

Postby Linny » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:43 pm

If its a type then I'm pretty sure its a 30° turn clockwise with the outer counter clockwise
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Distillnation » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:58 am

I just did one last night for a mate and you're right. The spear should really only turn one way easily, and then it should drop to the bottom of the keg. Then you want to get a wrench (I used a pipe wrench), and tighten it around the top coupling and undo it, counterclockwise, it will start to come loose, and then you should be able to do it by hand.
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

Return to Boilers & burners.