Welding stainless with a mig?

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Welding stainless with a mig?

Postby TasSpirits » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:29 pm

Hi all, Ive had the good fortune to come into possession of several kegs, in the past I have had others to all the work for me, this time Im doing it myself. Has anyone had any success welding stainless with a mig? I can get suitable wire and gas easy enough, at best my welding is ok, practice makes perfect they say :-D The plan is to make a gas fired boiler and a 3" copper pelican head for stripping. Any help, ideas is appreciated.
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Re: Welding stainless with a mig?

Postby Rowey » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:49 pm

Hi Tas,

Let us know how it works out for ya as I am currently looking for a welder to try a bit of stainless welding.

Cheers Rowey :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Rowey

equipment: Turbo 500, built a pot still, Boka. Currently building a 4 inch bubbler

Postby TasSpirits » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:56 pm

My Brother is a boiley, reckons it should work. just thought I would try get a little feedback first. This will be my first build by myself :o
TasSpirits

Postby timboss » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:58 pm

I had kegs done with a MIG.

It wasn't pretty, but it got the job done. I would recommend a TIG if you want a neater job.
timboss

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer

Postby Muppet » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:00 pm

I've never welded 2mm stainless with a mig, used it on thicker materials. Don't really know what to say, it's not very smooth and you tend to run hot to get it flowing. It's a job for the tig all day. In saying that I used 2.5mm electrodes on my boiler so it must be possible. Look for the thinnest wire available and since you will need argon you may as well tee in and purge at the same time.
Not wanting to buy a $380 bottle of argon is why I used stick... If you have the gas tig is the go.
I vaguely remember needing different rollers in the wire feeder but don't hold me to that.

EDIT- you would definitly get it with a STT machine but they are pretty special (expensive)
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby BIG D » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:06 am

TasSpirits wrote:Hi all, Ive had the good fortune to come into possession of several kegs, in the past I have had others to all the work for me, this time Im doing it myself. Has anyone had any success welding stainless with a mig? I can get suitable wire and gas easy enough, at best my welding is ok, practice makes perfect they say :-D The plan is to make a gas fired boiler and a 3" copper pelican head for stripping. Any help, ideas is appreciated.

I've done mig on kegs i find a series of overlayed spot welds work best. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby TasSpirits » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:28 am

I've done mig on kegs i find a series of overlayed spot welds work best. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

That is the approach I was thinking of, hoping to avoid to much warping by spot welds opposite each other, let it cool then go again. Did you gas flush while doing yours? Im using a 150amp mig with disposable bottles.

Thanks for the input everyone :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by Sam. on Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
TasSpirits

Postby bayshine » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:31 am

I would recommend purging with gas to stop oxidizing on the inside :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby woodduck » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:53 am

I've done a fair bit of ss mig and to be honest I didn't find it much different to use than mild steel. The stainless will warp more of course but other than that I found it ok. Like any mig, you may have trouble getting a good seal cause they tend to leave pinholes and of course thiner metal will be harder but should be fine to use.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby TasSpirits » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:15 pm

Cheers guys, next trip to town I will be getting some supplies, will start a build tread once I get Started :-D
TasSpirits

Return to Boilers & burners.