The Geber V1 Build

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Re: The Geber V1 Build

Postby rumdidlydum » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:53 pm

Thats a boiler to be jelous of :mrgreen:
Nice work :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Its a shame your going to insulate it. I wonder if you can get clear insulation :think:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby TasSpirits » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:28 pm

I still might polish it up and make it a jacket just for winter :think:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby TasSpirits » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:02 pm

Had a few spare hours today, the left over 4" was not long enough for a column so I decided to make a gin basket for the bubbler, will trim the plate and solder it all up after work tonight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TasSpirits

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:07 pm

Got the second element port in today, just need to get some bits of 3/4 for the bottom drain, then attack it with the die grinder and I will hopefully have a fully functional boiler next tuesday :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TasSpirits

Postby Sam. » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:53 pm

Not sure if it was you that mentioned in another thread but can't see it in this one. Do you know what was used to weld any original joins?

A lot of old copper boilers where soldered with lead solder, hope that isn't the case with yours ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:27 pm

Sam. wrote:Not sure if it was you that mentioned in another thread but can't see it in this one. Do you know what was used to weld any original joins?

A lot of old copper boilers where soldered with lead solder, hope that isn't the case with yours ;-)

All Silver solder, made by the Father inlaw. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby Sam. » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:40 pm

TasSpirits wrote:
Sam. wrote:Not sure if it was you that mentioned in another thread but can't see it in this one. Do you know what was used to weld any original joins?

All Silver solder, made by the Father inlaw. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Awesome I knew I read that somewhere :D

Would be a real pisser to do all that work then find out its riddled with lead.

Going to be one nice looking rig when its done mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:05 pm

All dressed up and nothing to run :crying-blue: All parts in place minus drain and packed section, once I find the 4" tube the packed section will double as a column for the pot with 2.5" or 3" shotty, which ever comes first. Will have to get some polishing supplies now I guess, not looking forward to that part :))
TasSpirits

Postby MacStill » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:13 pm

Looking good Tas, can't wait to see it in it's full glory :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby TasSpirits » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:52 pm

Darwin award wrote:This is going to be good...it'll look fantastic when you're done, given its size however, would a larger size drain port be a good idea or is 3/4 plenty for the job?

Put the drain in today, filled her up to the brim, 8mins to drain 140L. Im happy with that :D
TasSpirits

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:50 pm

Just a quick progress update, pics have been destroyed along with the phone they were on :angry-banghead: I have made a 500mm column/packed section, cleaned and ran a few times. The boiler has been put through its paces, no leaks after 300L :D Ive decided on a 2.5" shotgun condenser and have started to collect the bits, eventually will be a blockhead pot still, while Im finishing the other bits. Currently getting a 32 amp socket sorted to up the power I have decided on 1 3200w and 1 2400w, once thats done back to build mode. Will post pics once its running again. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers
TasSpirits

Postby Zipeddy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:58 pm

Daaaaammmmnnñnn!!!!! That boiler!!!!!
More regular trips to the scrappys in order methinks.
Zipeddy

equipment: 4" glasser
4 plates
500mm packed section for neutral
50L keg boiler

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:33 pm

So the build has restarted, couldn't help myself, scored 4 FSD 2" caps so this is now going to be a four plate bubbler. Got 5 plates to cut out and press tomorrow, 1 will be perforated for an extra section on the other still, got started on the four sections just need to score some more 4 or 3" for the SG sections. Will knock out a few more easy flanges tomorrow and get started on the RC :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby WTDist » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:19 pm

TasSpirits wrote:
Darwin award wrote:This is going to be good...it'll look fantastic when you're done, given its size however, would a larger size drain port be a good idea or is 3/4 plenty for the job?

Put the drain in today, filled her up to the brim, 8mins to drain 140L. Im happy with that :D

Is that an FSD 3/8" ball valve? how did you attach it to the copper? just PTFE tape and twist it on tight or another way?

Was looking at these earlier for myself
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:28 pm

WTDist wrote:
TasSpirits wrote:

Is that an FSD 3/8" ball valve? how did you attach it to the copper? just PTFE tape and twist it on tight or another way?

Was looking at these earlier for myself

Pretty sure I got it from a plumbing supply shop, my brother in law is a fitter/turner, I got him to cut a thread onto some 3/4" copper pipe(i think) the used some PFTE tape to get a good seal.
TasSpirits

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:15 pm

So after life got in the way the build is going forward again. Knock up the blockhead section last night, its a 4' x2.5" copper tee with s/s ferrules, reducing to a 2" ferrule. Soaking in citric as I type this.After testing out the boiler a few times over winter it needs to be well insulated. I did a job for a family member and got 3 4x4" copper tees to match the first 1, waiting on a reply from FSD , hope fully I will have all the required parts soon, going to organise copper for the PC next week, so I should have the tees complete soon
TasSpirits

Postby Boardy62 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:47 pm

Ripper buildd mate well done :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Boardy62

equipment: FSD Neutraliser, two 2400w elements, gin caddy,100 ltr boiler
T500 reflux still and boiler,
pure distilling pot still head
power controller
Parrot and racking cane

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:07 pm

Nice job on the copper to stainless joins :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You have the art down pat :O)
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:26 am

rumdidlydum wrote:Nice job on the copper to stainless joins :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You have the art down pat :O)

All thanks to the info and tips on the forum that members have posted :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:31 pm

So I decided to treat my self today, trip to the big shed for a few bits and pieces, 1.5m S/S braided hose, a new burner and some more solder. If the stilling gods are smiling on me I will be able to order all the bits I need to get this finished tomorrow :pray: I also chucked all the excess solder I collected into a piece of angle and melted it back down tilted the angle lightly to get it moving. I now have a couple of bars of aqua safe solder. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

PreviousNext

Return to Boilers & burners.