Keg for the FSD Neutralser

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Keg for the FSD Neutralser

Postby Darwin award » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:24 pm

So what with the shiny new Neutralizer ordered, it would have seemed a pity to bolt it up to my manky old Keg...
and to prove that I'm not completely lazy, figured I'd give it a go...So after plenty of reading, I've decided on a
Mr squiggle keg..(It's upside down miss Jane...!) so I can use the 2" to drain the keg in situ...yeah..the lazy thing again :smile: ..
I'm not enjoying toteing hot and half-full kegs in and out anymore.
a 4" still port, 4" fillport, 2x weld less elements + guards ect ect ect......So here's where I'm up to in picky format:
kego1.jpg

here's the bottom, valve to go, I'm thinking of mounting the valve flush with the 2" base, then rigging up an extension for the handle..
got 2x element guards and a 15amp element on order (FSD) and I'm thinking of some surplus high-temp insulation packing under a nice Jarrah
finnish....well some wood round it anyways, lets see how it goes. so there it is...nothing new here, but what the heck...I do like the swivel temp gauge..
no need to get off me chair to see the temp! :smile: ....also got a 4" sight glass arrangement to go with the filler port on order. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
kegbum.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darwin award
Site Donor

equipment: Reflux still 1x store bought 1x home made copper 1 x eBay pot still....1 FSD Neutralizer set up and happy in it's new home

Re: Keg for the FSD Neutralser

Postby 1 2many » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:25 pm

Awesome mate looking forward to seeing your build.

I love the inverted keg design it drains fast and complete keep the pics coming. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby EziTasting » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:33 pm

Watching with interest!
I have 2 kegs, one for a boiler and one for a still...
It was suggested to me to do the up-side-down config, so I can't wait to see how you go!
All the best... And, yes, please please keep the pics coming!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby warramungas » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:44 pm

It always amazes me what some people with a little time and patience can build.
Looks great! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Darwin award » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:47 pm

Did some more today, bit of cloud cover, so it's actually possible get outside today :smile:
Drilled the 32 mill hole, I tried with plenty of water to use the holesaw (I've done this before, no problem..)
but managed to flog out two of em!....bah. I went back to the dremel, it's how I cut the 4" ports anyways,
lots of small slices round the inside, punch out the centre, then tidy up with a flapper. Works quite well
IMG_2582.jpg

So, element hole No1, the 2400W lower, to be linked up to my controller, thing is, I like to run somewhat less than full,
I never get puking but I will admit to burning an element dry.... :handgestures-thumbdown:
So, I figure if I deflect the element towards the bottom, that will minimize me stuffing up and
burning another element and it'll also make mounting the upper hi-power element easier, as it'll have more seperation from the lower element.
So, against my first instinct ( lazy) of just bolting the element up and bending it....Yeah, that would have been a bust I reckon...
I made up a bolt 2 nuts and 2 big washers as below....
IMG_2584.jpg

Bolt it up, wack the heck out of it...thread on a stong-bar...stand on it ect ect....anyways, the idea is to bend the Keg round
the element port till the element is where I want it....here's a view up the Kegs clacker-hole, you can see the element ~2 inches in
IMG_2586.jpg

Huh, whaddaya know? It worked...Hope it doesn't foul with the element guards I've got on order...
Anyways, more polishing, a bit more cutting...another element hole, my drain-valve setup and wood cover to go!
I know...why polish when I'm insulating? sod off...go ask sensible questions elsewhere :laughing-rolling:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darwin award
Site Donor

equipment: Reflux still 1x store bought 1x home made copper 1 x eBay pot still....1 FSD Neutralizer set up and happy in it's new home

Postby bluc » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:00 pm

Lol awesome :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Shiftynev » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Darwin that looks really good.

When I drilled out the holes for the weldless elements for my boiler I was mindful of avoiding/not getting to close to the ridge that goes around the boiler, given that the section of the element guard that screws on to the element and holds it in place may touch that ridge and affect the tightness of the seal. Hope it doesn't in your case.

Cheers
Shiftynev

equipment: 5 plate, 4" glass bubbler, 600mm packed section, 2"Pot, 2" Boka, 50ltr Keg boiler 2x2400w elements with voltage controller

Postby Darwin award » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:12 pm

Shiftynev wrote:Darwin that looks really good.

When I drilled out the holes for the weldless elements for my boiler I was mindful of avoiding/not getting to close to the ridge that goes around the boiler, given that the section of the element guard that screws on to the element and holds it in place may touch that ridge and affect the tightness of the seal. Hope it doesn't in your case.

Cheers

actually checked that the bolt could rotate freely before I cut,
but that brings another thought to mind....could the s-steel be hardened near that bottom weld...?
Darwin award
Site Donor

Postby Shiftynev » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:26 pm

Bottom weld??? I thought these were weldless elements.
Shiftynev

equipment: 5 plate, 4" glass bubbler, 600mm packed section, 2"Pot, 2" Boka, 50ltr Keg boiler 2x2400w elements with voltage controller

Postby Darwin award » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:51 pm

Shiftynev wrote:Bottom weld??? I thought these were weldless elements.

Bottom weld on the keg.....and indeed weld less elements.
Darwin award
Site Donor

Postby Darwin award » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:17 pm

hey guys, an update...

next time I wouldn't flip the keg! Mr squiggle is all well and good, but there isn't room between the "ribbing bands" that goes round the keg for the weldless element guards... Id still want a bottom drain, but a 3/4 inch valve should do it, no need to bother with the 2", but my goodness, it drains quick!...Other problem I've got is with the neutralizer and an admittedly, low ceiling..the five plates and packing yeah, it'll fit on a standard keg, but put a drain on or jack it up and plan for a skylight in my instance :laughing-rolling:
butt drain.jpg
Darwin award
Site Donor

Return to Boilers & burners.