Silver soldering a 4" ferrule on to the top of a keg

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Silver soldering a 4" ferrule on to the top of a keg

Postby captainmorgan36 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:31 pm

Hi guys, Firstly I appologise if the answer to this one is one the forum somewhere, I have searched and found similar discussions, but not exactly.

I would like to buy a keg and build myself a boiler, I want to fit a 4" ferrule to the top of the keg for filling and cleaning. I have done some basic welding but I cant do it well and its only been on pretty thick mild steel.

I have done a lot of soldering with soft and silver on copper and it comes out okay!

Has anyone silver soldered a ferrule to a keg? If so pointer would be much appreciated.

As I see it there are two big problems, one there is no socket for the solder to fill so even with a tight gap could you get the solder to take????

two is silver solder strong enough?

Is this really a TIG weld job, I know a couple of guy who might be able to do it, but I would rather do it myself.

My gut instinct says it not really going to work to well with silver solder! :?

The other though I had was to cut a fair bit out of the top of the keg, then fit some fittings using a lock nut on the inside and secure a sheet of stainless on tot he top of the keg with all the ports I want on that sheet.

Any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Captain
captainmorgan36

equipment: 2" pot 50l keg

Re: Silver soldering a 4" ferrule on to the top of a keg

Postby Hardie355 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:39 pm

Its really not worth the effort trying to solder it, plus if it does stick id be worried about it coming unstuck mid run. I prepped mine all nice and the fab shop charged me a carton to tig it on for me :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Hardie355

equipment: 3" boka and 2" pot still
4" 4 plate glasser with 2.5" 9 tube shotty

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:48 pm

Yes it can be done and yes it is strong.
I have done ss to ss, ss to copper.
The silver solder I used had the flux in the core, its the only solder I could pull it off with. And I had lots of practice.
The key is to not burn the ss so that it goes black, if it does cut it off and start again.
If you have a mate with a tig I would definitely go and see him.
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby wynnum1 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:57 am

Does anyone sell a bolt on ss flange with the ferrule attached and suitable gaskets can see that welding the ferrule is easier but if do not access to welder cutting the extra holes is doable.
wynnum1

Postby captainmorgan36 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:26 am

wynnum1 wrote:Does anyone sell a bolt on ss flange with the ferrule attached and suitable gaskets can see that welding the ferrule is easier but if do not access to welder cutting the extra holes is doable.

Well that was actual what I want to do, but after spending a couple of hours on google I haven't had much luck, if anyone knows where to get a 4" tri clamp bolt on flange that would be greatly appreciated!
captainmorgan36

Postby captainmorgan36 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:55 am

I believe I have found one 4" bolt on flange with 4" triclamp ferrule, but I will have to import it from the states. The other alternative is for me to call up FSD and ask if they will sell seperately one of their flange 4" ferrules from this producr 4" Sight glass cylinder
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
captainmorgan36

Postby Swedish Pride » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:30 pm

I soldered on a 4" ferrule, was a bit of a pain as i cut the hole a bit big, but got it sealed up eventually.

I only have it as a fill port though, work fine for this purpose
Swedish Pride

equipment: Pot on keg
6" rat rod column

Return to Boilers & burners.