Boiler Insulation

Boiler, burner and boiler modification talk.

Boiler Insulation

Postby Horn_Bee » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:56 am

Hi guys,

I’m trying to increase the efficiency of my still, and my thoughts have turned to boiler insulation. At present I have my boiler wrapped in a beach towel folded in thirds which seems to have done an okay job at keeping the boilers heat in, but I am sure I can do better. At the moment I am looking at something like http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/formshield-10mm-wide-black.html, either one or two layers thick (depending on performance). I figure I can make cut-outs for element ports and the drain in order to get a snug fit, then stitch in some Velcro straps to keep it attached to the boiler.

What does everyone else do for insulation? Does this look feasible, or am I off the mark? Is there something tried and tested that I should use instead? Is it worth insulating the boiler at all?

Any thoughts would be helpful!

Mick
Horn_Bee

equipment: .
Current:
FSD Blockhead Neutraliser
FSD 50L milk can boiler w/ 2x2400w elements
Voltage controller for boiler element
Fuselex master spirit filter

Previous:
T500 reflux condenser
Alembic pot condenser
30L electric boiler

Re: Boiler Insulation

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:22 pm

Have you looked at using cardboard under the rubber some rubber does not like hot temperate and it would cut back the temperature and free.
wynnum1

Postby coffe addict » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:01 pm

I picked up a few woolen blankets cheap $5 each they are washable fire retardant and excellent insulation.

The dunder stay hot for days. Also I can do runs split over two days with only 15 to 20 mins to get back on the boil.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:13 pm

That's perfect stuff in the link. Definitely get something that wont deteriorate if you get it wet, you dont want to have remove all the insulation and replace it after a few cleans. :D
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:01 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:That's perfect stuff in the link. Definitely get something that wont deteriorate if you get it wet, you dont want to have remove all the insulation and replace it after a few cleans. :D

:text-+1: I would not go to that much trouble and expence for ya 30lt boiler ,would be fine for the 50lt milk can ya have on order tho.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Horn_Bee » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:06 pm

hillzabilly wrote: :text-+1: I would not go to that much trouble and expence for ya 30lt boiler ,would be fine for the 50lt milk can ya have on order tho.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

Yeah, that's the plan. I think the beach towel will be just fine for the 30L I'm using at the moment until the milk can arrives :twisted:

Mick
Horn_Bee

Current:

Previous:
T500 reflux condenser
Alembic pot condenser
30L electric boiler

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:11 pm

Reminds me of when I used to use an old boating life jacket ta insulate my 30lt boiler came with straps an all :laughing-rolling: cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby coffe addict » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:23 pm

Haha haha that's a good idea hillzabilly I have heaps from when I lived on a boat. Slightly flammable but so are most things under the house :laughing-rolling:
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:55 pm

On my boiler I just used insol wool then foil paper all lined with timber slats
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby coffe addict » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:00 pm

Hey aussie what boiler is it and how did you do the strapping?
I've been known to lust over your boiler :romance-kisscheek:
coffe addict

Postby toil » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:12 pm

I use insulation from clarke rubber. It is designed for under the car bonnet. I have in on both the 3" reflux still and the keg boiler. Seems to work really well. I couldn't find it on the web site though.
toil

equipment: 3" VM still
2" pot still
Pure distilling reflux still gathering dust

Postby TheMechwarrior » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:25 pm

There are some purists out there that would argue against the use of any insulation on a still.
Arguing that the art of making whisky is all about embracing the inefficiencies of the pot still design. One of those inefficiencies is the massive heat loss at the boiler, this in turn prolonging the distillation process and increasing the conversion of yummy esters.

To achieve a similar result with a more efficient boiler design (stainless and insulated) would require you to cut back on the power and extend your distillation times.
Just some food for thought.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:18 am

coffe addict wrote:Hey aussie what boiler is it and how did you do the strapping?
I've been known to lust over your boiler :romance-kisscheek:

Strapping is easy ockey straps first tuck your timber in roughly 1 st photo
When all the timber is in place start tightening it with rachet straps and adjust timbers
I had to remove 2 to let it go tight enough
Tighten it to the max then put the brass bands on
I just used 2 lengths of ockey strap put in your joining screws release straps and tap timbers into place
Still to do is the other 150 screws 3 in each stick and varnish
Hope this helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aussiedownunder01

equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Horn_Bee » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:39 am

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:On my boiler I just used insol wool then foil paper all lined with timber slats

Aussie, I must admit that you have yourself one sexy looking boiler! :clap:

Mick
Horn_Bee

Current:

Previous:
T500 reflux condenser
Alembic pot condenser
30L electric boiler

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:57 am

TheMechwarrior wrote:There are some purists out there that would argue against the use of any insulation on a still.
Arguing that the art of making whisky is all about embracing the inefficiencies of the pot still design. One of those inefficiencies is the massive heat loss at the boiler, this in turn prolonging the distillation process and increasing the conversion of yummy esters.

To achieve a similar result with a more efficient boiler design (stainless and insulated) would require you to cut back on the power and extend your distillation times.
Just some food for thought.

The bigger the boiler the less heat lost surface area to volume ratio.
wynnum1

Postby Kenster » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:18 pm

Aussie, that is some serious insulation...nothin aint gettin out.
Nice work.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby TheMechwarrior » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:37 pm

Damn fine craftsmanship :clap:
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby coffe addict » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:48 pm

Doesn't seem too hard! Looks amazing. With only three screws it's easy to take apart for annual cleaning, plus it'll save you installing the other 150 :happy-partydance:

I think my new found 80L keg deserves a similar treatment!
coffe addict

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:50 am

Got 1/2 the screws in
Theres only 9 screws to remove the cladding if needed in one piece :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Aussiedownunder01

Postby shortybronx88 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:59 am

Now this is a thing of beauty!
shortybronx88

equipment: A custom 4inch 6 plate copper column is my weapon!

I have also been known to make a few random brews with differing level of success

Return to Boilers & burners.