Store bought flavors

Homebrew shop essences talk.

Re: Store bought flavors

Postby dan.325 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:42 pm

Lowndsey wrote:A mate asked me to try some Bourbon/wild turkey flavourings. Tried Sameul Willards Wild Duck. Was very watery and way too pale. Need maybe another half bottle of the flavouring to get anywhere near the correct colour strength of taste. Disappointing as the HBS talked it up as being one of the most popular.

I use 'Edwards Scrub Turkey" and love it. I find it between a Wild Turkey and Jim Beam and alot of my bourbon drinking mates love it too.
dan.325

equipment: 25lt pot still

Postby dan.325 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:50 pm

Has anyone tried making something similar to Wild Turkey American Honey? Ive been playing around using Edwards Honey Boubon mixed with real honey and a thickener, not too bad but would love to know what other people have tried.
dan.325

equipment: 25lt pot still

Postby Jimbeamfreak » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:23 pm

grumpthehermit wrote:G'day,

I use these guys a fair bit.

Cheaper than my local shop, postage is pretty good but there is a surcharge for small orders.

http://discounthomebrewwarehouse.com.au/index.php?amain_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=693719d0e26ca4bb87089e8991789f12

On the subject of flavours, i have been making up a demijohn of samuel willards chips leaving for a few weeks then watering from 63% to 40% and adding the Edwards - Green Creek Whisky essence ... Bottle says add 10ml ... First few oak batches I made I tried 5ml of essence, last one I made I only added in 2ml of essence and I think it's the best scotch whisky flavour I have made yet.

I found it's better to add the essence in once watered down so I could play with the amount I added to suit my taste and it's best to let anything you mix up sit for a few days to settle before you taste it, the flavour seems to get stronger after a few days with the essence in it and I kept finding I was adding too much.

Also if you like bourbon, I bought a 1kg the generic american oak chips, I soaked 75 grams in 5L of 63% and it coloured up really fast and tasted very much of bourbon ... Sadly ... I don't like bourbon. So I gave it too a mate to drink, he says it's really good and it's had no essence added in at all. It does not say so on the website but the american oak chips are toasted and they are only $5.00 for 500g so pretty cheap to play around with.

Cheers
GTH

grumpthehermit
me being a bourbon drinker i have taking your word on the chips and ordered 3 kilo of them :D
Jimbeamfreak

equipment: Home Spirit maker reflux still

Postby Jimbeamfreak » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:29 pm

on my fist attempt i used Samual Willards Premium Kentucky Bourbon essence after soaking 5 days on bourbon starves my mates (and me) who drink beam thought it was pretty close
did it at 40% will be trying the tomotoe wash very shortly as i still have 1 packet of turbo yeast to use :-D
Jimbeamfreak

equipment: Home Spirit maker reflux still

Postby ledgenko » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:18 pm

Still Spirits Classic Blue Jewel if you are chasing a Great GIN !!! More than happy to hear of other good essences !!!
ledgenko

equipment: 500 thingy ... Much to learn... Yep I know squat but can crack out a decent all grain beer

Postby grumpthehermit » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:42 pm

Jimbeamfreak wrote: me being a bourbon drinker i have taking your word on the chips and ordered 3 kilo of them :D

Mate I hope you like them.

Have you got them, have you given them a go yet?

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby badseed » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:15 pm

SS Top Shelf Honey Bourbon - Extremely nasty.

SS Top Shelf Ouzo - Great flavour but does not louch. It looks leasy enough to make a good Ouzo without this.

Essencia Blue Saphire - Good reports from my wife and her mates. They love this stuff.

Edwards Scrub Turkey - Delicious. I use this with 1l of neutral, some gobbler chips, 1/2 tsp glycerine and about 20mm of a vanilla pod. Keep it for about 10 days shaking it daily then filter it. Smooth as silk when it's finished. Does not last long in our house. This is a very good essence.

SS Icon Liquers Cafelua - Way too sweet and cloying with a sacharine after taste. Never again.

SS Top Shelf Coconut Rum - Another poular one with the wife and her cronies. Went down quick with nothing but good reports.
badseed

equipment: Air Still.
3 x 30l plastic fermenters
1x 20l glass fermenter
Temp controlled brew fridge

Postby kiwikeg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:07 pm

badseed said SS Top Shelf Honey Bourbon - Extremely nasty.

:text-+1: that flavour is :puke-huge:
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby torry73 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:24 pm

For Ouzo I use Queens natural aniseed essence from the supermarket its with the food flavouring/colouring. The only thing is you need to add a little at a time until you get the right flavour.
torry73

equipment: 2" DR Boka- reflux/pot combo
1.5" reflux cm
2" pot still
50 litre boiler on gas

Postby crow » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:34 pm

torry73 wrote:For Ouzo I use Queens natural aniseed essence from the supermarket its with the food flavouring/colouring. The only thing is you need to add a little at a time until you get the right flavour.

Hi torry i think I got some of that how much do you add per ltr
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby torry73 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:08 pm

I started at 5ml and ended at 10ml per ltr. Just add a small amount then add more till the flavour is right or you fall over. :D
torry73

equipment: 2" DR Boka- reflux/pot combo
1.5" reflux cm
2" pot still
50 litre boiler on gas

Postby Homebrewer » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:51 am

Hey All,
Great reading here.
For something with a bit of a bite, I add a 2inch red thai chilli to my barcardi and canadian club copies, soak/age for two weeks, strain,mix,drink and enjoy.
My guinna pigs (aka friends) some love, others (non chilli lovers) think it :angry-fire: ........
Homebrewer

equipment: 1 x SS LM on 50l SS keg & 1 x SS CM on 50l SS keg. both 2200W electric,

Postby Sam. » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:55 pm

The still spirits redneck tequila is abosolute shite :puke-huge:

Smells like cinnamon? WTF?

Wouldnt waste your money, love to find who made that one :violence-smack: (had to use that smiley :D )
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Lowndsey » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:10 pm

When I went on my camping holiday a couple months ago I stopped in at Blackwater in QLD and they had this little homebrew/pest control shop in one LOL strange combo..maybe they used the foreshots for rat killer. Anyway they had all this discounted stuff on the bench and I grabbed a few bottle of essences for about 2 bucks each and one of them was Country Squire Nelsons rum. I opened the bottle and it smelt just like as if you had have filed it up with straight molasses so I didn't really hold out much hope of it being any good but by crikey it is easily the closest essence to a dark rum that I have ever tasted. Quite nice really and I usually find essence rum shit.
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby Linny » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:22 pm

so far ive tried

SS Bourbon Original
SS Aussie Gold -rum
SS Blended Whiskey Original

All three have turned out ok , very drinkable - remembering that im used to entry level bottle shop stuff . After adding glycerine to smooth it out i would suggest more H20/ABV to water it down.

Im going to try a essence /chips variation next , but i sure it will work out since i enjoy the flavours so far, since i drink it with coke
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Andy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:51 pm

i oaked DWWG for about 2 weeks and mixed a SS classic Tennessee through as per instructions. was very drinkable, pretty sweet tasting. nothing top shelf, but with coke, was smoother then the Jacks its imitating.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Andy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:52 pm

dan.325 wrote:
Lowndsey wrote:A mate asked me to try some Bourbon/wild turkey flavourings. Tried Sameul Willards Wild Duck. Was very watery and way too pale. Need maybe another half bottle of the flavouring to get anywhere near the correct colour strength of taste. Disappointing as the HBS talked it up as being one of the most popular.

I use 'Edwards Scrub Turkey" and love it. I find it between a Wild Turkey and Jim Beam and alot of my bourbon drinking mates love it too.

After reading this i thought i would give "Edwards Scrub Turkey" a go. DWWG on bourbon staves for 6 weeks, and the essence has made a surprisingly similar bourbon to turkey, except smoother.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby jasonc2861 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:34 pm

I've been getting some nice bourban from soaking in the ss american gobblers bourban chips.soak for 2 weeks then strain with muslin cloth,put fresh chips in the strain after a week with coffee filter,put in freezer for awhile then drink,tastes like bourban!!also soaking with the jack Daniels chips are ok.same as above. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :greetings-waveyellow:
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Store bought flavors

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:34 am

Yep the gobblers are the best I've found. I have also blended this with some oaked neutral and the oaked neutral adds a whole level of 'sweetness' to it. Very nice. I found making blends to be best for me recently. U really can make some good drink! :)
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Goldie » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:30 am

sam_and_liv wrote:The still spirits redneck tequila is abosolute shite :puke-huge:

Smells like cinnamon? WTF?

Wouldnt waste your money, love to find who made that one :violence-smack: (had to use that smiley :D )

Yuck, I remember buying that crap, so bad!
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

PreviousNext

Return to Essences