Store bought flavors

Homebrew shop essences talk.

Re: Store bought flavors

Postby Sam. » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:25 pm

A bloke at work gave me some chips that he had got online from QLD, couldn't tell me the brand or shop :handgestures-thumbdown:

Anyway put 12g of these in a litre of nuetrel for 12 days then add a pack of Still Spirits Premium Classic Tennesee and it actually isn't too bad :o

Then again I don't really drink bourbon, but it was nice for a change anyway :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby hillsey » Sun May 05, 2013 8:18 am

TDJim wrote:
Cupcake wrote:Now now Hilsey,don't go getting too carried away :naughty: 99% of members here would disagree with your statement,there is no such thing as a good tasting Bundy :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

I completely agree!

@#*# Me guess I set myself up for that one :-B The mates reckon it's a goodun. I have also been getting good feedback about the SS Dark Calypso Rum :handgestures-thumbupleft: SS Irish Cream made with the base (not cream) also got good reviews.

I put some Edwards Scrub Turkey on Oak Chips for a few months and ol 'mate who reckons all home brew tastes like metho, said it wasn't to bad :dance:

Have also tried a few of the favoured Vodkas, nothing to write home about yet, best advice so far STAY AWAY
hillsey

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby Woodsy71 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:57 pm

Gday Folks,

Thought id throw my 2 cents in.

BOURBON
Neutral on SS bourbon staves makes a very smooth drink. I also tried the recipe from the Brewing Crafts book, 2lt neutral on Gobblers Chips for 2 weeks and then mixed with a sachet of SS Classic American Bourbon. This makes a passable Wild Turkey if you give it 2 weeks on the shelf.

GIN
SS Classic Gin is very good provide you mix it. If you drink it neat you can taste the flaws.

OUZO
Willards ouzo is very close to the real thing, louches nicely and great mixed.
On a side note i tried the Pastis/Arak/Ouzo recipe from the Tried and Proven section on the weekend and its a great drop!! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Highly recommend this to anyone new to the hobby. Its easy and rewarding. You just need your still, your neutral and some easy to find spices.

LIQUEURS
Im not one for sweet drinks but...Willards Chocolate Rum Liqueur farkin rips!!! :happy-partydance:
On ice with milk it has recieved rave reviews from the ladies and even my beer swilling bundy guzzling mates have caved in and asked for more :-D

Anyway, thats just one blokes opinion and i hope it helps someone out

Also, if anyone has had success with Rye Whiskey( Canadian Club) Essences/Recipes ??? Id love to hear your feedback!!

Cheers

Woodsy
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby Andy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:04 am

Edwards butterscotch Schnapps makes a decent drop
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby bac206 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:32 pm

Woodsy, had some mates around the other day and they loved this one. Couple of them regular cc drinkers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bac206

equipment: 2" CM Keggomax
2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller
Just finished 4" glass bubbler

Postby Woodsy71 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:48 pm

Cheers Bac,

I've used the Prestige brand with some success, but will give the SS brand a go next.
Woodsy71

Postby Smbjk » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:33 pm

bac206 wrote:Woodsy, had some mates around the other day and they loved this one. Couple of them regular cc drinkers

Not to bad that one have few mates that love it. With coke its pretty good
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby Newstilla » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:32 pm

Being a Bundy drinker from way back I've found i really like the Calypso Rum from SS on a well cut TPW neutral, i like to let it age a bit once mixed.

Plan is to go purely Macrum if i can get it right though 8-)
Newstilla

equipment: Glass perforated plate bubbler and an ancient design homemade CM stainless still that needs tweaking or chopping!

Postby Brendan » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:37 pm

Newstilla wrote:Plan is to go purely Macrum if i can get it right though 8-)

With a glass bubbler, I should think so! :))
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:26 am

I have had a lot of success with Edwards honey bourbon mix using still spirits c base
also still spirits gin in the scatchet [mmm gin and tonic mmm]
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Jimbeamfreak » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:13 pm

grumpthehermit wrote:
Jimbeamfreak wrote: me being a bourbon drinker i have taking your word on the chips and ordered 3 kilo of them :D

Mate I hope you like them.

Have you got them, have you given them a go yet?

Cheers
GTH

long time since ive been on but i must say those chips worked great then i had a Barrel made from American White Oak with a medium toast that works well too :clap:
Jimbeamfreak

equipment: Home Spirit maker reflux still

Postby noname4670 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:32 am

Hi guys i usally use Edwards single malt ,johnny jogger and iceberg rum
noname4670

equipment: 58L Weelie bins x2
Airstill x2
50L Stainless Steel Keg
and a whole lot of other stuff

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:11 pm

Was introduced to still spirits navy rum [sachets ] made with 40% neutral
30 mm in a glass with ice and lemonade tastes like creaming soda with a kick [don't knock it till you try it ]
Also my family like Edwards American honey 10 mm in 700 mm 40 % then add a stillspirits c base the neighbours like that
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Woodsy71 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:21 pm

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:Was introduced to still spirits navy rum [sachets ] made with 40% neutral
30 mm in a glass with ice and lemonade tastes like creaming soda with a kick [don't knock it till you try it ]
Also my family like Edwards American honey 10 mm in 700 mm 40 % then add a stillspirits c base the neighbours like that

Aus01,

You are spot on mate.

It does taste just like creaming soda.

Good stuff.

Thanks for the heads up, I will add a bottle of this to the bar for sure. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Just got me farked how they reckon they can pass this of as a "navy rum, not unlike the ration given to the mariners of old etc etc".....its almost an alcopop :wtf:
Woodsy71

Postby Pete8686 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:31 pm

Made up a bottle of ss premium american bourbon ( in the sachet ) yesterday with my very first batch of neutral. I am amazed by the flavour, takes the bite out of the neutral and smoothes it out with a very nice mellow whiskey flavour. I'll be putting my next couple of bottles on oak for a richer flavour but very pleased without. If this is what sort of quality you can make with store bought essences and neutral I cant wait to get into grain recipes and oak. On another note I tried prestige southern spirit and it is not the nicest drop. Mixed a little in with my second ss bourbon sachet and it added a nice sweet note but would not recommend it on its own. Probably rate the ss american bourbon a 3.5 - 4 out of five and the southern spirit maybe a 1 by itself
Pete8686

equipment: 2' stainless boka, copper coil. Homemade pot

Postby Pete8686 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:11 pm

Anyone tried essencia walkers whiskey? Got some coming in the mail just thought id ask
Pete8686

Postby Stoney » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:51 pm

Just my bit of limited feedback to date.
At the moment I have been mainly using the Edwards brand flavours for rum,whiskey,bourbon and found them quite passable, I like its only a capfull for a 750ml bottle, a lot of others seem far more diluted.
My mum asked for a bottle of 'Pims' which I have never tried before, my sister in law had a bottle of the real thing so I grabbed a taste. Anyway HBS guy put me onto the still spirits top shelf 'Summer Cup', just made a bottle up and its pretty reasonable as a clone. My first experience with the ss stuff as I had been avoiding it, perhaps a mistake.
I tried one bottle of 'Nox' brand black sambuca from the HBS .. will be giving this brand a big avoid in future, absolutely disgusting blue dye, hopefully its food grade. might be good for tie dying t shirts..
I always keep a bottle of willards butterscotch schnapps essence handy now, not to make schnapps though it is quite nice, its great to take the edge off of things, conceals a number of sins.

home made Baileys, most recipes use condensed milk and I have been finding it too sweet, aldi evaporated milk, a little under a cup of sugar, a good dessertspoon of chocolate syrup, a teaspoon of instant coffee and a teaspoon of vanilla bean paste and spirit/water to suit (I go for 25%) those bottles do not last long at all..
Stoney

equipment: 55l nixon stone 1 3/8 column, propane + electric
2" pot column

Postby Pete8686 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:26 pm

Been looking for a bundy red clone for my mother, most of them have been less than average though. Until I found sam willards smooth rum. It is absolutely delicious and closest rum clone I have found
Pete8686

Postby tipsy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:47 am

Pete8686 wrote:Until I found sam willards smooth rum.

I just found a sam willards bourbon in my cupboard and I was very impressed. If I ever get stuck and need an essence sam willards will be the ones I'll try. The Irish cream is nice when I can't be bothered making 'Aussie Cream'.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby valkorum » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:21 am

SS Classic Reserve Whiskey (Nicknamed Brown Water by Unna and me)

For whatever reason it tastes better after leaving for at least 4 weeks.
valkorum

equipment: 5 Star 4" Pot. Still need to find funds to buy bubble plates

PreviousNext

Return to Essences