Gin

Homebrew shop essences talk.

Gin

Postby taffy4x4 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:45 am

Hi, can anyone recommend a good gin essence for her indoors. I've been given a T500 and done a few runs with it. I got a couple of liquor essences from the local shop, willards Irish cream is very nice, as is their butterscotch schnapps, willards honey bourbon is ok but is missing something ( I like wild turkey American honey ), but there were a lot of different gin essences and I don't want to get them all.
Cheers.
taffy4x4
Site Donor

equipment: T500 reflux and home made stainless steel and copper 10lt pot still

Re: Gin

Postby MaKa » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:46 pm

You will probably find that most people here are making their gins using botanicals rather than an essence.

Your best bet would be to ask at your local home brew shop what they recommend. I personally have never tried any gin essences myself but know that a gin using botanicals is very achievable.
MaKa

equipment: FSD 4" Neutraliser
FSD Carter head
T500 pot still with a 2" FSD modular head

Re: Gin

Postby Carol » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:45 pm

Hi Taffy 4 x4

I made Zymurgy Bob's gin extract - it is somewhere in this forum Essentially you macerate a lot of botanicals and then distill it (pot still). You get a a concentrated version that you add to neutral and dilute according to your taste. So you can make a light gin or a heavy gin or somewhere in between. That might be an option.

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Return to Essences