Essencia London Special Gin Essence.

Homebrew shop essences talk.

Postby Divey » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:48 pm

I recently bought a 28ml bottle of this essence and the instructions state to mix it with five litres of 40% ABV spirit. :o :o Five litres, that sounds like a bloody big dilution to me.

Can anybody else that has used this essence guide me in the right direction. Five litres is a fair bit of booze to bugger up.
Divey

equipment: 25 litre Alex Fractional/Pot Still.

Re: Essencia London Special Gin Essence.

Postby grumpthehermit » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:06 pm

Maybe better to divide it up by 4 and only make up 7ml in an 1250ml of spirit?

Just a thought.

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby Divey » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:14 pm

grumpthehermit wrote:Maybe better to divide it up by 4 and only make up 7ml in an 1250ml of spirit?

Just a thought.

Cheers
GTH

7ml in 1250ml just does not sound right to me. I did think of that and found a small syringe to do the job.
Divey

Postby stilly_bugger » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:30 pm

Some of the gin essences are pretty concentrated. Sounds like a good value one if you ask me; that is, if it tastes any good.

A syringe is the best way to accurately measure out smaller doses of essence. Let us know how it tastes.
stilly_bugger

equipment: simple pot with worm on an electric boiler.

Postby Sam. » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:45 pm

Its just super concentrated thats all, you will notice a lot of companies are doing this these days. Just about every dishwashing liquid and (normal) cordial you buy now says "2 x the strength so you only need half as much", which is them just saving on packaging and shipping costs even if the product is inferior.

Having said that if you use something like the Still Spirits Whisky Profile Kit and only want to mix one bottle the recipe will call for 2ml of "A" and 1.8ml of "B" etc etc, like said try and get your hands on some small syringes, one of the easiest sources I know is small kids medicine have little syringes used for a couple of ml and must be accurate so might be able to get them from the chemist cheap or free? I was lucky enough to get given a shit load of 5 and 10ml syringes. If you want some give me a PM and I can post them to you.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Divey » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:23 am

My God :o I made up 500mls at 40 abv to just see what this stuff is like. Seeing as this is 1/10th their suggested amount, I carefully measured off 2.8mls of essence (1/10th of the 28ml bottle) and added it to the 500mls. Hmmmmm, tastes like raw spirit, so I gave it another 2.8 ml hit. Hmmm still not good. So I eventually added four more hits with a total of 16.8 mls of this essence before I reckon it could possibly pass as Gin.

So isn't that a great effort, more than half the bottle in 500 mls. :evil: :handgestures-thumbdown:
Divey

Postby Sam. » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:40 am

Well in that case they are out to rip you off then!
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby MacStill » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:44 am

Divey wrote:My God :o I made up 500mls at 40 abv to just see what this stuff is like. Seeing as this is 1/10th their suggested amount, I carefully measured off 2.8mls of essence (1/10th of the 28ml bottle) and added it to the 500mls. Hmmmmm, tastes like raw spirit, so I gave it another 2.8 ml hit. Hmmm still not good. So I eventually added four more hits with a total of 16.8 mls of this essence before I reckon it could possibly pass as Gin.

So isn't that a great effort, more than half the bottle in 500 mls. :evil: :handgestures-thumbdown:

maybe you could buy some vodka essence to fix it :whistle:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Al Qaemist » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:21 am

I tried that one when I was starting out, utter shite. In fact, I never found an essence that was satisfactory (and gin does lend it's self to being reduced to an essence, unlike some other spirits). Making your own gin is great fun, and could keep you busy for a life time, but its pretty easy to make really bad gin, but once you get your eye in, you have the opportunity to make something unique (in a good way)

HaveIMentionedThatIReallyLikeGinAl
Al Qaemist

equipment: 2"x39" VM, Pot head
50L 3Kw keg, and Modified T500 boiler.

Postby ledgenko » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:13 pm

Not to promote any LHBS .. but the StillSpirit Classic Blue Jewel is a cracker of a essence ..... pretty damn close to blue sapphire and very very very easy to drink ... I have found a few others that are kick arse but this is my favourite !!!
ledgenko

equipment: 500 thingy ... Much to learn... Yep I know squat but can crack out a decent all grain beer

Postby The Stig » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:25 pm

I use the SS Top Self English Gin, everybody loves it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby crow » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:37 am

ya could get loads of free syringes ifen ya bust open one of those little yellow boxes in a public shithouse :laughing-rolling: kidding . One would think if they can't get a gin essence (botanical extracts) right then there's just about no hope for anything PS What the hell is vodka essences , distilled water maybe :icon-lol: :icon-lol: :icon-lol:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Beerfridge » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:27 pm

The Stig wrote:I use the SS Top Self English Gin, everybody loves it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

having never tasted gin i was at a Delmer at asking my mates have ya ever tasted Gin ??
as i has a SS packet and wanted to use it so decided to try it its added to 1 ltr of 40%
its as they say fukn fantastic .

im a gin addict now :scared-eek:
Beerfridge

equipment: air still

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:39 pm

Yup Still spirits london gin is the go ....my pommy inlaws lovd this stuff as do I .
Sorry but essencia essences suck ...I have tried many of themand all of them are shite
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Beerfridge » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:53 pm

Yummyrum wrote:Yup Still spirits london gin is the go ....my pommy inlaws lovd this stuff as do I .
Sorry but essencia essences suck ...I have tried many of themand all of them are shite

not to hyjack the thread but yer i am find that as well i have there tennassee whisky and they say gets better with a few days age on it i am finding it just tastes like a vanilla been tho mixed with cola its ok its even better mixed with some SS bourbon to take the Vanilla taste down a bit but yer was hoping for jacks
i got peters icecream
hey im still learning anyway so ill know not to get that again 8-}
Beerfridge

equipment: air still

Return to Essences