The Essence Search Database!

Homebrew shop essences talk.

The Essence Search Database!

Postby Distillnation » Mon May 06, 2013 9:08 pm

Hi guys/gals!

This is a call out to all you essence users, whether that is past, present or future!

After a bit of work and design, I have come up with a simple little site that will hopefully make it easier to find reviews and information on all essences available, so you can get an idea of what's good or not, before you make a purchase.

Now, I know what you're thinking..

What's the catch?

Well it's simple. Without people buying and trying essences, we can't have reviews. If we don't have reviews, we don't have a review site! So, the next time you're out buying an essence, check out the site, submit a new review, and help the database grow.

I've already done a fair bit of digging around, trying to get reviews up, and so far the total reviews comes to 70! If we can keep growing at this rate, we should be able to cover a majority of the commercial essences that are available on the market.

What do I need to do?

It's pretty simple. The next time you buy an essences. Load up the site, glass in hand, and click the "Submit" button. Here you can choose the brand, name/type, give it a score out of 5 and comment on the taste or aroma if you like.

You don't have to be an expert on tasting or smelling, just give it your best shot. Personally, when someone tells me something smells like "chicos" or "toastyness", I'm going to understand it a lot better than "old leather" or "books". So go ahead, don't be afraid to submit a review, even if it is something simple and short.

Where do I find this database?

Right here :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The Essence Search Database

I have a suggestion/problem/etc

Just post it here and I'll do my best to fix or implement anything you want :-B

Hope you guys/gals will find this useful!
-Distillnation
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

Re: The Essence Search Database!

Postby Sam. » Tue May 07, 2013 11:31 pm

Good work setting this up mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hopefully the guys trying the different essences out there get on board :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Site Admin

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
2 x 18 Gal boilers
Italian Spiral burner with HP reg.

Postby Distillnation » Mon May 13, 2013 5:19 pm

Cheers sam!

Update

Just added in a simple tag feature for ease of search.

Lets say for example that you want to make a spirit like wild turkey, but you don't know what name the essence would be for it.

Well, that's where the tag search comes in handy.

Simply go to the search page and in the tag text box, type in what you would like to find, e.g. Wild Turkey.

The site will then search for any reviews that will be tagged with "wild turkey" and bring up the essences for you.

I have only updated a couple reviews so far (if you search for "sambuca" or "wild turkey"), so it won't get you much, but if the site picks up, we may be able to get better use out of the tag search :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Distillnation

Postby Phototropin » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:52 pm

Great idea Distillnation.

I have a suggestion. Could you have a page (maybe tack it onto the stats page below the summary) that ranks every essence from highest to lowest average score, in one single list (and maybe also indicate how many votes contributed to each average)? With everything viewable in a single list, one could see at a glance what flavours are generallt better received by the community than others. Could also be useful for getting ideas about what new essences to try, or what new tastes are worth exploring.

Or even a master table with a "sort by" feature, that would be cool. Sort by rank, sort by name, sort by most votes, etc.
Phototropin

equipment: Nothing yet, still in the research phase.

Postby Distillnation » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:15 am

Thanks for the suggestion Phototropin!

Here is the new "Top" page. Lists the essences [BRAND - TYPE], Average Score, and the votes/reviews for each one.

You can sort by clicking on the headers so you can go by name, score or votes.

Let me know if you experience any problems with it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

http://essencesearch.comoj.com/?page=top

Cheers
Distillnation

Postby Linny » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:12 pm

you should put the web address in your "footer" or signature
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby KingVox » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:58 pm

found the database useful. now im wondering whether the still and equip i just bought i should throw away as there are no good bourbon reviews at all.

Any ideas on a makers mark. i have stilled one run and made a makers mix i found which i am maturing it up for a week or two before tasting.

Makers Mark
Still Spirits American Bourbon(1 satchet), 12mm Mellow Oak
found this recipe on another site but no feedback.
KingVox

equipment: Newly Purchased Ultra Pure Still. 95% 1st run

Postby Mfkerg » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:20 pm

Hi distillination

Keep getting "Column count doesn't match value count at row 1 " error when trying to submit a new review .

Great work for getting this going, I still play with the odd magic flavour bottle and this site will definitely some some money on bad essences.

Thanks
Mfkerg

equipment: Pot still and 2" Boka

Postby Phototropin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:24 pm

Great update Distillnation, that's perfect, thanks!
Phototropin

equipment: Nothing yet, still in the research phase.

Postby SBB » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:33 pm

Nice job Distillnation
Mfkerg wrote:Keep getting "Column count doesn't match value count at row 1 " error when trying to submit

Yep same here.
SBB

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Distillnation » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:31 pm

Linny wrote:you should put the web address in your "footer" or signature

I may just do that. I have it as my website under profile, but not the easiest for people to see or pick up on.

KingVox wrote:found the database useful. now im wondering whether the still and equip i just bought i should throw away as there are no good bourbon reviews at all.

Any ideas on a makers mark. i have stilled one run and made a makers mix i found which i am maturing it up for a week or two before tasting.

Makers Mark
Still Spirits American Bourbon(1 satchet), 12mm Mellow Oak
found this recipe on another site but no feedback.

There are definitely plenty of happy customers out there who use essences,but unfortunately you won't see a whole lot of them around here. The site is relatively unknown so it won't have a whole lot of variety, but the more people who use it, the more reviews we will have.

Mfkerg wrote:Hi distillination

Keep getting "Column count doesn't match value count at row 1 " error when trying to submit a new review .

Great work for getting this going, I still play with the odd magic flavour bottle and this site will definitely some some money on bad essences.

Thanks

Cheers. Hmm.

Could you give me some examples of what you are putting in each field so I can try and backtrack it.

Phototropin wrote:Great update Distillnation, that's perfect, thanks!

No worries, glad to help out!

SBB wrote:Nice job Distillnation
Mfkerg wrote:Keep getting "Column count doesn't match value count at row 1 " error when trying to submit

Yep same here.

Thanks SBB. As above, if you could provide some sample data that would be great.
Distillnation

Postby SBB » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:48 pm

I tried it on 3 different essences, Bodines Sour Mash and a couple of others, only filled in the score and taste fields. Do you have to fill all fields for it to work??
SBB

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Linny » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:35 pm

I tried to fill all and it didnt change anything :( I still think this is a fantastic idea

sort of like here (http://www.ispirits.com.au/afawcs014821 ... pirit.html) , but yours will give the bad ones to steer clear of :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Linny

Postby Distillnation » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Alright, if someone wants to try submitting something again, and let me know how it goes, it should hopefully work.

SBB wrote:I tried it on 3 different essences, Bodines Sour Mash and a couple of others, only filled in the score and taste fields. Do you have to fill all fields for it to work??

I've got it set so that only the brand and the type/name has to be filled in. That way it is up to the user to fill in the rest. May not make for the best reviews, but didn't want people to feel like it was too much of a chore.

Linny wrote:I tried to fill all and it didnt change anything :( I still think this is a fantastic idea

sort of like here (http://www.ispirits.com.au/afawcs014821 ... pirit.html) , but yours will give the bad ones to steer clear of :handgestures-thumbupleft:

That's a pretty interesting site :handgestures-thumbupleft: But like you said, I aimed to make it more open to public opinions so we can really get both sides of the spectrum.

NOTE
If someone has a different brand than those listed, please let me know. I add those manually to ensure that we have the correct spelling for them.
Distillnation

Postby Linny » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Yep , it works ... could you put a comments box too , for example i thought in tags i added the fact that it wasnt suited for a southern comfort copy... but when i went to check it , it cant be seen

Ive also noticed that Ive mispelt a triple sec, so its not going to line up with the other one (if you get what i mean) ,,, i know its a big call but just a idea when typing flavours in you can either select a drop down of existing flavour or autofill ??? ... I dont know how to do so im not expecting anything lol ,,, just a idea
Last edited by Linny on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linny

Postby Distillnation » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:20 pm

Linny wrote:Yep , it works ... could you put a comments box too , for example i thought in tags i added the fact that it wasnt suited for a southern comfort copy... but when i went to check it , it cant be seen

:handgestures-thumbupleft:

The little (?) next to tags should hopefully show a little hover text that says "Make it easier to search for your review using a tag for similarties. Separate using a comma: e.g Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, etc". Might not work on some peoples browsers...and phone users won't be able to get it.

The idea for the tags was for users to be able to search using tags. eg. KingVox wants something like Makers Mark. So he would use the tags input to search for makers mark. If anyone had tagged an essence with makers mark, it would come up in the results.

In the taste you can add comments like that if you wish. I can add another box for separate comments though if people would like that :handgestures-thumbupleft:

FEEDBACK

I was considering collecting as much data as possible for each brand so that when you select a brand, it fills a list with the available essences for that brand. This would also fill in the amount it makes...

Would people prefer this, or keep it as manual entry?
Distillnation

Postby Distillnation » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:24 pm

Linny wrote:Ive also noticed that Ive mispelt a triple sec, so its not going to line up with the other one (if you get what i mean) ,,, i know its a big call but just a idea when typing flavours in you can either select a drop down of existing flavour or autofill ??? ... I dont know how to do so im not expecting anything lol ,,, just a idea

Haha :laughing-rolling: It seems we both had the same idea!
Distillnation

Postby Linny » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:28 pm

what on the input ,,,, or how to go about it :laughing-rolling:
Linny

Postby Distillnation » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:31 pm

On the input :lol:. I have an idea of how I'll go about it, but the boring part will be collecting all the data.. May just have to crack out the white UJSM to help pass the time :laughing-rolling:
Distillnation

Postby Linny » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Leave it for another day then lol
Linny

Next

Return to Essences