The Essence Search Database!

Homebrew shop essences talk.

Re: The Essence Search Database!

Postby Distillnation » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:37 pm

Yeah, sounds like it might be the way to go after todays long day of making cuts :teasing-neener:
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

Postby Mfkerg » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:19 pm

Working fine for me now. This will be awesome once people put more reviews up. Shows you can't make scotch from a little bottle but liqueurs are ok. Pretty much what I found too although tried one scotch that HBS said was better than Jonnie Black and nearly barfed on the first sip.... :handgestures-thumbdown:
Mfkerg

equipment: Pot still and 2" Boka

Postby wolbi74 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:58 am

Great idea distillnation, will check it out over the weekend!
wolbi74

equipment: Pot Still

Postby Sam. » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:43 pm

Mfkerg wrote: tried one scotch that HBS said was better than Jonnie Black and nearly barfed on the first sip.... :handgestures-thumbdown:

So it was slightly better than Johnny Black :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Site Admin

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
2 x 18 Gal boilers
Italian Spiral burner with HP reg.

Postby Mfkerg » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:38 pm

Sam, that would have been coming up too with some carrots :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

It's amazing how you can really start to pick up heads and tails even in commercial stuff that you thought was good and now tastes like shit (not that I've tried it) ;-)
Mfkerg

equipment: Pot still and 2" Boka

Postby Sam. » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:42 pm

I just love to rip on Johhny for the reason that they don't really produce that much they just import and blend and sell as the best shit ever :handgestures-thumbdown:

If you want a Scotch try a Glen-anything :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Site Admin

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
2 x 18 Gal boilers

Postby Distillnation » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:26 am

Mfkerg wrote:Working fine for me now. This will be awesome once people put more reviews up. Shows you can't make scotch from a little bottle but liqueurs are ok. Pretty much what I found too although tried one scotch that HBS said was better than Jonnie Black and nearly barfed on the first sip.... :handgestures-thumbdown:

Hopefully it will take off. If it starts to take off more I'll get a proper server and domain for it, but until then, this will suffice.

Liqueurs definitely seem like a popular style of essence, I would say due to the amount of work generally involved in making them. (Getting all the ingredients, macerating, etc)

wolbi74 wrote:Great idea distillnation, will check it out over the weekend!

Thanks wolbi!

There are a couple changes to the site, hopefully it will make it easier for people to add essence reviews.

[quote="sam_and_liv"If you want a Scotch try a Glen-anything :handgestures-thumbupleft:[/quote]

What are your opinons on the Glen Moray?

Update!

Linny and I both had a similar the other night, and I decided to implement it. It wasn't a fun task, but I finally got it done :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I went through all the brands (found a few new sub-brands I guess I'd call them), and entered the brands, essences and the amount they make into the database. (475 essences in total...boring and tedious as f..) (as seen on the updated stats page)

If you have been to the site recently you would see that when you choose a brand, you are presented with a dropdown box full of all the essences that particular brand has to offer. Most are split up into their respective websites descriptions e.g Liqueurs, Spirits, Creams, Vodkas, etc. So it should make it easier to find them.

Once you have selected the essence, it will automatically input the amount that essence makes.

This saves a lot of the guess work for you, and you can now just input the score/taste/aroma if you want.

Also...

Will the owner of the 2013 Samuel Willards essence review please let me know what essence this was for :teasing-neener:

Thanks guys
Distillnation

Postby Linny » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:04 am

Looks good , hate to be a pain , lol cant find still spirits original - bourbon ,rum , scotch etc
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Distillnation » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:12 am

No worries Linny :teasing-neener:

The annoying thing about SS is that they only list certain ones on their site (well the one I was on anyway), so there will probably be some missing here and there, other brands included.

I have added what I think are most of the originals.

Let me know if I missed any though!
Distillnation

Postby Sam. » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:46 pm

Goes to show how many essences are on the market now :scared-eek:

As for the Glen Moray, all the Glens are slightly different but I haven't found one I haven't liked yet ;-)

I only have one bottle of the Moray...need to go overseas again to get some more delicous duty free :D
Sam.
Site Admin

2 x 18 Gal boilers

Postby blond.chap » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:54 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:As for the Glen Moray, all the Glens are slightly different but I haven't found one I haven't liked yet ;-)

Try Glenkinchie, revoltingly sweet
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Sam. » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:58 pm

Yeah I do have a bottle of that, I don't think it has an age on it? so guessing the minimum? But yeah probably not the finest out there :handgestures-thumbdown: would still drink the shit out of it with a mixer :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Site Admin

2 x 18 Gal boilers

Postby Distillnation » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:23 am

Updates, Updates and Updates

Okay. So massive site overhaul. Over the past couple days I've been writing code non-stop. I've finally got it to the point where I'm happy that it won't crash when a user clicks anything :teasing-neener:

There are a few minor changes, and a few big changes. You can read more in-depth about it on the mainpage here. I just want to give a little example of the new features to show what I mean.

If you go here, you'll notice the end column "Review By". This particular review is by myself, and hence, has my username. It is also a link. If you click that link it takes you to my profile where you can (currently) see what other reviews I have done (which is only 1 so far). There will be more information on profile pages in the future, but for now, a working prototype is what I was aiming for.

If you wish to sign up for an account, and you have already submitted reviews, let me know your username, and the reviews that you have submitted, and I will link them to your account.

If you find any problems with the site, please let me know :handgestures-thumbupleft:

sam_and_liv wrote:Goes to show how many essences are on the market now :scared-eek:

As for the Glen Moray, all the Glens are slightly different but I haven't found one I haven't liked yet ;-)

I only have one bottle of the Moray...need to go overseas again to get some more delicous duty free :D

I know, hey. And I think I'm missing a fair chunk of them as well. Will have to do some more searching and fill in any that are missing.

I've got a bottle of the basic Glen Moray here, tempted to open it up and try it out. I opened a tullamore dew I got as a present. I found that to be a bit too sweet for my liking.
Distillnation

The Essence Search Database!

Postby wayneH » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:16 pm

I get server cannot be found message

Great
wayneH

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby MacStill » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:19 pm

wayneH wrote:I get server cannot be found message

Great

Whinge here mate ;-)

From the news & announcements section
MacStill
Site Founder

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Linny » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:45 pm

Added another review ,,, Loving the site ;)
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby monkey » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:30 pm

Nice work mate just put up a couple of reviews of some I have tried so far. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
monkey

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler.

Postby Pugdog1 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:08 pm

just posted a review does it take a while for it to show up? as I put it in then when to check it displayed properly and nothing is there

regards pug
Pugdog1

equipment: Still spirits Turbo 500 still

Postby Kimbo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:13 pm

Pugdog1 wrote:just posted a review does it take a while for it to show up? as I put it in then when to check it displayed properly and nothing is there

regards pug

It shows up straight away mate. I have found in the past that sometimes i click on the "index" instead of the " Post" :angry-banghead:
Kimbo
Site Donor

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Pugdog1 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:20 am

Kimbo wrote:
Pugdog1 wrote:just posted a review does it take a while for it to show up? as I put it in then when to check it displayed properly and nothing is there

regards pug

It shows up straight away mate. I have found in the past that sometimes i click on the "index" instead of the " Post" :angry-banghead:

thanks for reply, I posted this one
http://essencesearch.comoj.com/?page=vi ... tterscotch
and the score is there but not the txt I wrote in taste etc
regards pug

ps I also got onto every brewing website I knew and spread this site hope u don't mind
Pugdog1

equipment: Still spirits Turbo 500 still

PreviousNext

Return to Essences