decent immatation scotch whiskey ??

Homebrew shop essences talk.

decent immatation scotch whiskey ??

Postby still.stilln » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:02 pm

g'day all, iv made a nice clean neutral from a T.P.W using my reflux still, it's my first attempt and went pretty well, was nice and easy,heaps better then the results iv had using turbo products, anyways I'm hoping to be able to make a fairly good immatation scotch out of it if possible ?? I went to the local hbs and got some Samuel Willard's oak barrel soakers, glycerine, peat smoke ?? and ss top shelf scotch whiskey. using these products will I get something close to scotch ?? or do I need different products ?? is it better to use toasted or in toasted oak for soaking ?? any ideas or advice is much appreciated. I'm going to step me game up soon and attempt a malted barley mash and run it through my pot still, but for now all I have are my bottles of neutral sitting at bout 50% abv
still.stilln

equipment: home made 2inch copper reflux/pot still, 30ltr electric boiler

Re: decent immatation scotch whiskey ??

Postby Hobo » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:35 pm

Gday mate, I have made some pretty good tasting "Scotch" using untoasted oak chips soaked for about 2 weeks. Most of the flavour comes from the wood chips, then I use some Still Spirits "Smokey Malt Whiskey" essence. I do not follow the recommended dosage, (at least half of what they recommend) I go for the taste that I am looking for. I use about 10ml per 1.125 bottle.
I think this makes a good Scotch knockoff with a nice Peat smoke taste.
I don't bother with Glycerine, best thing you can do is experiment a bit, I am happy with my recipe but if you make something you are not real keen on, just run it with your next wash and start again.
Good luck. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Hobo

Location: Aussie Drifter.\ Hometown Melbourne, currently Central Qld
equipment: Home made Copper Reflux still, 50l keg boiler, 2inch x 850mm column packed with stainless scrubbers and reverse liebig condenser. 95% and stoked!

Postby still.stilln » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:40 pm

ok thanks mate
still.stilln

Postby Sam. » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:10 pm

The Whisky Profile Kit that you can buy from a HBS shop are interesting, they have all the "notes" in little bottles. You can tailor the drink to your taste if you wish.

I have always done their Glenfeddich clone and it ain't that bad ;-)

The kit is a bit more expensive upfront, but it all depends on what you want to be drinking/making :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Bushy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:31 am

I had to phone a friend. She reckons Edwards Single Malt is the bomb. I assume that's good.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby bt1 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:45 am

Howdy still,

just a thought progressing from TPW why not stop off at a grain/sugar wash and add some LME or DME ...get some real nice flavours out of this type of wash and it's a prep we all used for a long time before going a full grain wash.

There's plenty of good grain/sugar combos that would suit a scotch final product.

enjoy!
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby still.stilln » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:16 pm

thanks all
still.stilln

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:40 pm

Image I got this as a gift for buying some other stuff online and it goes ok for a blended scotch. But as said already, go the grain if ya can ;)
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Return to Essences