Dimple or Chivas

Homebrew shop essences talk.

Dimple or Chivas

Postby Nightram » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:48 pm

I am quite simply looking for a flavor that replicates either of these two.

Suggestions welcome.
Nightram

equipment: Turbo 500

Re: Dimple or Chivas

Postby Linny » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:09 pm

:laughing-rolling: hahaha not with a essence . when you do... Let me know and I'll buy all the stock
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Dimple or Chivas

Postby Nightram » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:14 pm

Well, I have the SS profile kit. Surely it can be made.
Nightram

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby Linny » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:41 pm

you might get something that you like ,,, with the ss porfile kit , it says to use 7-15ml glycerine / litre .... i never used any more than 3ml .... you gotta remember that this was designed to use with turbos that are very harsh and thats why it needs sooo much,,, if your using TPW or Allbran then good harsh cuts will give you a good base,,,, i prefer Allbran as it comes out a little drier or wheaty compared to TPW ... but thats really picking at it ....

Also Airing at least 24 hours before blending your cuts.... The best base will make something good. And try not to drink it for at least a week ,,, you will be suprised how much the alcohol settles in just that time
Linny

Postby 1 2many » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:42 pm

I have both at once soon as i get the chivas i get the dimples :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Linny » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:43 pm

jesus thats bad LOL ... had to be said though lol
Linny

Postby coollinz » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:58 am

Nightram, I've been attempting to make good scotch, bourbon and rum for the past couple of years using a T500 and essences. I have spent a good deal of money searching for the right essences to do it, until I found this site. It just can't be done using essence. I try and convince myself sometimes, but when I go to the pub and but a bourbon and coke, it puts me back to thinking my stuff is crap. You might find something you like, but it will not come close to the real thing (or something even better!).

I have just recently invested a massive amount of time on this site and it's been a wealth of info. Just purchased a Mac 4 SSG from MacStill and patiently waiting for it to arrive :drool:

Got a bourbon, TPW and rum (all from the Tried and Proven section) bubbling away as we speak awaiting for there new Master to arrive and guzzle them up to make something that will resemble and if not better produce some damn fine ass drinking material.

Can't wait to update the profile and remove the T500. It was good while it lasted and will probably never go back to using it. Maybe just to boil water :laughing-rolling:
coollinz

equipment: Mac 4 SSG with packed section and gin basket
50L keg boiler and 2 x 2400w MacElements
T500 plus Fuselex Stainless Filter (now just boils water)

Postby bt1 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:25 am

Howdy,

reckon you could get the grain bill almost nailed. The process is known so no biggy there either.
The still characteristics, blending and vatting ...well there a good two years work.

Which leaves ageing. This is where we as hobbyists get reemed. All the care in the world and premium grain etc helps but to sit on a batch in large oak barrels well that's a challenge.

I've spent a good 3 years on a much simpler Irish whisky and still working on it and it sure don't have the complexities of a scotch. It's good, is well accepted, well aged (18 months) and will continue to develop but it aint a Tullimore Dew(target I'm was aiming for). It has less tails and a better base drink imho, but taste.... not this year!

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby the Doctor » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:40 am

BT1 Has hit the nail right on the head... I too love irish whiskey and achieve a smooth aproximation ...but getting complexity and depth is the real distillers art. Age is not enough...balancing oak, determining the colour and flavour by varying the previous use of the oak ( for instance ex Shiraz oak is very different to old Sherry ) do you intervene with oxygenation or ultra-sonics or do you take the long road...All a part of good distilling practice. There is a very good university level text book on the subject. I am away from my desk at the moment but will give you the detaiols when I return to the distillery. Take care.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby Sam. » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:19 pm

Time is the key. If there was a way to pump out great tasting whisky in a day the big boys would be onto that quick smart.

As for the profile kit, there are a lot of "tasting notes" that are in the little bottles, I haven't really heard of anyone using it to tweak a recipe to their taste. I'm sure it could be done but I have never had the time or inclination to do it.

Would be keen to hear from anyone that has their own recipe using the kit :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby the Doctor » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:22 am

I must apologise for not getting this information to you sooner, but it was sub - zero here last night and i just could not drag myself away from the fire to go up to the distillery...
The whiskey text I refer to all the time is

Whisky
technology, Production and marketing
Edited by Inge Russell
printed by Academic press

It is available on Amazon, but be warned like most University level texts it is very expensive say in the order of $250 or so... but if you are a real whiskey afficianado or a budding commercial distiller. It is hands down the best text I have read. I really think my whiskeys have improved since I first studied this book... It describes the macro large scale distillery techniques in a way that gives insights into scaling down...for us smaller producers. Cheers.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby barberandbrew » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:48 pm

I use a essence made by my local shop at gosford its called ambrosia whisky costs $12 makes 2x700ml but i reckon its chivas
barberandbrew

equipment: Aircooled 4 litre distiller

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:52 pm

Why don't you pop into the welcome centre and introduce yourself mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby res » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:01 pm

:text-+1: on that text. If your eyes are bigger than your budget it's in the distillers library on this site. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Whisky
technology, Production and marketing
Edited by Inge Russell
printed by Academic press
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Return to Essences