Terry obriens essences?

Homebrew shop essences talk.

Terry obriens essences?

Postby Muppet » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:29 am

Has anyone around here tried terry obriens range of essences? A mate from qld swears his blue opal is close to opal nera sambucca (mothers milk ;) ) gunna try a cuple of his flavors against some SS ones I have, let yas know the outcome in a cupla weeks. :happy-partydance:
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Re: Terry obriens essences?

Postby dungee » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:43 pm

Tried em yet?
dungee

equipment: T500 kit from HBS.

Postby Muppet » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:24 pm

Got a cuple mixed yest... The malt whiskey first up with little resting time I don't mind, it's still tastes strong after mixing with coke. Wouldn't call it a 14 year old as the bottle says but I don't mind it.
The flavored ones (Jaffa, banana,Turkish delight, strawberry n cream) are interesting. The syrup tasted exactly like the ice cream flavorings. Missus is drinking them on milk and they kinda wrk well. Havnt tried with soft drink but makes me think I should get the big icecream flavor bottles for the missus.
I have a few more for my next run (headless turkey, old no 7, highland scotch) but will be at wrk for the next month.
Also tried a SS top shelf bourbon, wasn't my thing but I'm hardly an expert. :happy-partydance:
Muppet

Postby Bushy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:39 pm

The essence merry go round is what I used to call it. Bit o this, bit o that, Oh try these chips. None of it will kill ya and some of the liqueurs arn't too bad. Bourbon or scotch ? Fugedaboudit!
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Muppet » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:06 pm

I'm hearing ya bushy, tho having bought a t500 I'm limited to neutrals, and still have a lot of learning to do. When I'm off my P's ill upgrade... Till then it's neutrals and learning cuts etc, etc. gotta start somewhere
Muppet

Postby poompy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:08 pm

Muppet wrote:I'm hearing ya bushy, tho having bought a t500 I'm limited to neutrals, and still have a lot of learning to do. When I'm off my P's ill upgrade... Till then it's neutrals and learning cuts etc, etc. gotta start somewhere

have a chat to JayD he may be able to build a nice copper pot still to sit on the top of your t500 boiler. I do the same, Macstill made mine and it was been the best thing for it.
I still make nuetrals with the t500 but with the pot still i can make a very nice rum :handgestures-thumbupleft: :-D
poompy

equipment: SS T500
McStill Pot Still

Postby Woodsy71 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:18 pm

:text-+1:

I agree with Poompy.

I use a cheap potstill head on my T500. Lets me make real rum, bourbon, ouzo and gin. Then switch the head back and whip up some neutral for fruit macerations and mixing with some liqueur essences.

Having the potstill option really opens up your distilling world. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

PS If your after a good Opal Nera essence, try the Sam Willards 375ml pre mix. Its the Shizzle.
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby Muppet » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:28 pm

Woodsy71 wrote::text-+1:

I agree with Poompy.

I use a cheap potstill head on my T500. Lets me make real rum, bourbon, ouzo and gin. Then switch the head back and whip up some neutral for fruit macerations and mixing with some liqueur essences.

Having the potstill option really opens up your distilling world. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

PS If your after a good Opal Nera essence, try the Sam Willards 375ml pre mix. Its the Shizzle.

Thanks woodsy the obriens wasn't close to what I'm after, the potstill option seems like a top idea. Cheers all
Muppet

Return to Essences