Using up some essences

Homebrew shop essences talk.

Using up some essences

Postby Nardy » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:44 pm

I tried using essences when I brewed my first batch of neutral and none of them were any good in my eyes (except Sam Willards Smooth Rum, it's very close to Bundy Red, if you like that sort of thing), so I went to using molasses for my rums and have only just started sampling the results after ageing on oak.

BUT...

I was given my still and along with it, a whole bunch of rum and bourbon essence.. 2 flavours and about 300mL of each. Which would probably do about 12-15L of 'rum/bourbon'. Now they don't taste much good just mixed with neutral - but I'm thinking of mixing them with other ingredients to see if they can get any better.

Any tips? I'm thinking essence, oak, vanilla, clove for rum and just essence and maybe charred oak for bourbon?
Nardy

Re: Using up some essences

Postby maheel » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:03 pm

i used to kind of like bourbon made on essence, but i would mix it up add oak chips, a good dose of cheap port (1 cup in 4L or so?)
maybe a bit of dark brown sugar, some raisins or whatever might have been of interest and let it age a while.

in the hope it would ad some complexity. :)

i always reckon port is a good addition :) gives it a nice complex aroma fast IMO (but i do like good port / musket etc)

you might need to experiment a bit and see what happens
maheel

Postby MacStill » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:22 pm

maheel wrote: (but i do like good port / musket etc)

Who could possibly ever forget Mcwilliams brown musket at $1.99 behind the the basket ball courts before a school disco :text-lol:

:crying-green: :puke-huge: :crying-green:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:11 pm

The sight of a bottle of Musket puts a shiver through me to this day.......the crookest Ive ever been I think.
Ive made a fair bit of rum using mainly Willards essences.....oaking them improves them heaps.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Nardy » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:48 pm

I think I bought some of those mcwilliams port bottles today at the HBS. Figured they'd be good for ageing in...
Nardy

Postby Cane Toad » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Hmmm the old "brown cat" raises it's ugly head again! Oh those were the days,wagging school,down at the "willows" at Mudgee,drinking brown musket and trying to get in the girls pants....After about half a bottle,spewing ur guts up and trying not to shit ur self :roll: :shock:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby maheel » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:53 am

yeah i am talking about drinking quality port / musket not 4L goon bags.... lol

although i have found if you have finish a big night on port and then wake up and have a glass of water it feels like your pissed again for some reason.
maheel

Postby SBB » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:10 am

Never thought about it before Maheel........but you are dead right :laughing-rolling:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Return to Essences