Jameson Tasting Essence

Homebrew shop essences talk.

Jameson Tasting Essence

Postby bender » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:14 pm

Hi Distillers,

Wondering if anyone has found anything tasting like Jameson Irish Whiskey? Got a couple irish lads asking if I can do them up a bottle.

I'm not a big drinker of irish whiskey myself, so if anyone loves it and found something close, please I'm all ears :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks, Bender.
bender

equipment: T500 Still

Re: Jameson Tasting Essence

Postby Woodsy71 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:30 pm

Mate.
Scotches, whiskeys etc are the hardest to replicate in an essence.
The few i have tried just don't taste like Irish Whiskey. let alone a Jamesons.
It's best to remember that your trying to replicate a good whiskey with a cordial.
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby EziTasting » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:38 pm

I personally didn't find Jameson's to be strong in flavour!
Most Irish Whiskeys I've tried were very smooth (most likely because they're triple distilled), but not particularly strong with their own flavour.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Bundaboy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:47 pm

bender wrote:Hi Distillers,

Wondering if anyone has found anything tasting like Jameson Irish Whiskey? Got a couple irish lads asking if I can do them up a bottle.

I'm not a big drinker of irish whiskey myself, so if anyone loves it and found something close, please I'm all ears :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks, Bender.

Of all the whisk(e)y essences I have tried so far (quite a few) I have found the Still Spirits Top Shelf Iris Whiskey to be by far the best, and the only one that comes anywhere near tasting like a whisk(e)y.

It's been a while since I have had a Jameson's (which I like but prefer Scotch) so my memory may be deceiving me but it is at least reminiscent of it I think.

I am just drinking one now, my first couple were essence into a neutral (I say neutral laughingly as it is out of an Air Still) and that was good, but this one was essence into neutral aged on oak for a week - of all the good tips and tricks on this and other sites I think the most underrated one is the use of oak, it's almost magical. I had a bottle that was just oak (no essence) and it tasted more like whisky than any of the crappy essences I have so far tried all by itself (maybe I just like the taste of oak - I know I like a strongly oaked Chardonnay).

Having said all that the Still Spirits "Whiskey Profile Kit" has a recipe specifically for Jameson's. I have it but I have been saving it for when my MacBoka comes on line (sigh... one day).

I have had another chaps "Laphroaig" made from the whiskey kit which was very good indeed so if that's any indication...

Hmmmm, this oaked Irish Whiskey batch is not bad at all - my best yet, cheers, and good luck. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Bundaboy

equipment: MH-943/s water distiller
Some parts in the shed for something more "traditional", 2" MacBoka atop a 50L SS keg fitted with 2 x 2400W weldless elements (with guards).

Postby Swedish Pride » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:19 am

I'd recommend Oak as well, better yet, do a 40%malt and 60 % raw barley mash and put it on oak after.
Swedish Pride

equipment: Pot on keg
6" rat rod column

Postby WTDist » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:15 am

Swedish Pride wrote:I'd recommend Oak as well, better yet, do a 40%malt and 60 % raw barley mash and put it on oak after.

this is the essence section and the still being used is a T500 :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Return to Essences