A Cautionary tale of parisian essence

Homebrew shop essences talk.

A Cautionary tale of parisian essence

Postby warramungas » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:52 pm

I make some Tennessee bourbon essence, hell I like the flavour of this one, and added about 1 ml per liter of Parisian essence (caramel 150c) to darken it up a bit.
I hit it last night, not hugely excessive but enough to feel it, and I'll be damned if I could get to sleep. It was 5.30 the last time I checked the clock. Didn't rise again until lunchtime. Luckily I have an understanding wife who is used to my nuances of nightshift (when I'm on it which I'm not).
Lying in bed with that same buzz coffee gives you is a nuisance. You know that one where you're tired and want to sleep but your brain just wont shut down whizzing around at a million miles per hour.
Can't say for sure it was the Parisian essence but I'm damned if I can figure out what else it could be. Everything else last night was completely normal.
I'll be returning those two bottles I have left to the carbon filter next neutral run.
warramungas
 
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:38 pm
Location: Nor Perth
equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Re: A Cautionary tale of parisian essence

Postby bluc » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:01 pm

Or keep it for when you wanna pull an all nighter :handgestures-thumbupleft: :teasing-tease:
bluc
 
Posts: 6409
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: sunshine coast
equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Re: A Cautionary tale of parisian essence

Postby Wobblyboot » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:07 pm

bluc wrote:Or keep it for when you wanna pull an all nighter :handgestures-thumbupleft: :teasing-tease:


:handgestures-thumbupleft: what is Parisian essence? This does sound good :music-deathmetal:
Wobblyboot
 
Posts: 629
Images: 0
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:41 pm
Location: Melb
equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Re: A Cautionary tale of parisian essence

Postby warramungas » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:18 pm

bluc wrote:Or keep it for when you wanna pull an all nighter :handgestures-thumbupleft: :teasing-tease:


Not really. You're still tired, just can't sleep.
warramungas
 
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:38 pm
Location: Nor Perth
equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Re: A Cautionary tale of parisian essence

Postby WTDist » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:03 pm

was it your friday night? maybe your mind was like fuk this shit its my weekend :O)
WTDist
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:32 am
Location: Brisbane
equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Re: A Cautionary tale of parisian essence

Postby warramungas » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:22 pm

It's my Friday night now. Off to the golf club for a few brewskis!!!!
Yippee kye yay mf'ers.
warramungas
 
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:38 pm
Location: Nor Perth
equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Re: A Cautionary tale of parisian essence

Postby xcvator » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:07 pm

warramungas wrote:I make some Tennessee bourbon essence, hell I like the flavour of this one, and added about 1 ml per liter of Parisian essence (caramel 150c) to darken it up a bit.
I hit it last night, not hugely excessive but enough to feel it, and I'll be damned if I could get to sleep. It was 5.30 the last time I checked the clock. Didn't rise again until lunchtime. Luckily I have an understanding wife who is used to my nuances of nightshift (when I'm on it which I'm not).
Lying in bed with that same buzz coffee gives you is a nuisance. You know that one where you're tired and want to sleep but your brain just wont shut down whizzing around at a million miles per hour.
Can't say for sure it was the Parisian essence but I'm damned if I can figure out what else it could be. Everything else last night was completely normal.
I'll be returning those two bottles I have left to the carbon filter next neutral run.

Not wanting to be an alarmist mate, but that is 1 of the major signs of the "black dog" I know, he's been hanging around me for 20 years . If it happens again get it checked please
xcvator
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:51 pm
Location: Mornington Peninsula
equipment: 2" MacBoka
2" Copper Pot still Head
50 Litre keg on a 16000 watt 4 ring gas burner

Re: A Cautionary tale of parisian essence

Postby Satly_Dog » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:21 pm

xcvator wrote:
warramungas wrote: You know that one where you're tired and want to sleep but your brain just wont shut down whizzing around at a million miles per hour.
Can't say for sure it was the Parisian essence but I'm damned if I can figure out what else it could be. Everything else last night was completely normal.
I'll be returning those two bottles I have left to the carbon filter next neutral run.

Not wanting to be an alarmist mate, but that is 1 of the major signs of the "black dog" I know, he's been hanging around me for 20 years . If it happens again get it checked please


Oh, so thats not just me then... only been like that 10 years or so.... :angry-banghead:
Satly_Dog
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:14 pm
Location: Vic
equipment: Turbo 500

Re: A Cautionary tale of parisian essence

Postby warramungas » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:48 am

xcvator wrote:
warramungas wrote:I make some Tennessee bourbon essence, hell I like the flavour of this one, and added about 1 ml per liter of Parisian essence (caramel 150c) to darken it up a bit.
I hit it last night, not hugely excessive but enough to feel it, and I'll be damned if I could get to sleep. It was 5.30 the last time I checked the clock. Didn't rise again until lunchtime. Luckily I have an understanding wife who is used to my nuances of nightshift (when I'm on it which I'm not).
Lying in bed with that same buzz coffee gives you is a nuisance. You know that one where you're tired and want to sleep but your brain just wont shut down whizzing around at a million miles per hour.
Can't say for sure it was the Parisian essence but I'm damned if I can figure out what else it could be. Everything else last night was completely normal.
I'll be returning those two bottles I have left to the carbon filter next neutral run.

Not wanting to be an alarmist mate, but that is 1 of the major signs of the "black dog" I know, he's been hanging around me for 20 years . If it happens again get it checked please


A few beers under my belt and I slept like a baby last night. I wont be retesting that bourbon again so should be fine now. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
warramungas
 
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:38 pm
Location: Nor Perth
equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Re: A Cautionary tale of parisian essence

Postby maddowse » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:42 pm

xcvator wrote:
warramungas wrote:I make some Tennessee bourbon essence, hell I like the flavour of this one, and added about 1 ml per liter of Parisian essence (caramel 150c) to darken it up a bit.
I hit it last night, not hugely excessive but enough to feel it, and I'll be damned if I could get to sleep. It was 5.30 the last time I checked the clock. Didn't rise again until lunchtime. Luckily I have an understanding wife who is used to my nuances of nightshift (when I'm on it which I'm not).
Lying in bed with that same buzz coffee gives you is a nuisance. You know that one where you're tired and want to sleep but your brain just wont shut down whizzing around at a million miles per hour.
Can't say for sure it was the Parisian essence but I'm damned if I can figure out what else it could be. Everything else last night was completely normal.
I'll be returning those two bottles I have left to the carbon filter next neutral run.

Not wanting to be an alarmist mate, but that is 1 of the major signs of the "black dog" I know, he's been hanging around me for 20 years . If it happens again get it checked please

What is "the black dog" ????
maddowse
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:10 pm
equipment: T-500 reflux still , voltage controller and a home made stainless pot still

Re: A Cautionary tale of parisian essence

Postby Meatheadinc » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:12 pm

I think they are refering the" black dog" as depression.
Depression is a real illness and affect many people throughout there life. If the "black dog" is in your life a break from the bottle can help the symtoms. Regular exercise also helps. But everyone is different.

A bad cut with lots of heads in my experince can cause elevated heart rate that would keep you awake.
Meatheadinc
 
Posts: 561
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:00 pm
Location: Far North Coast NSW
equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Re: A Cautionary tale of parisian essence

Postby warramungas » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:19 pm

Didn't think they were referring to the same one Patrick Swayze faced in the movie 'Black dog' and I sure do sympathize with anyone that does. Dont suffer from 'black dog' luckily though I've 2 of 3 ungrateful teenagers so I'm probably a future candidate.
I'm now very careful with my heads cut too since finding this site and learning all about them so not that. I'm drinking an essence whiskey that's not too bad (whiskeys not my thing normally) at the moment which is fairly nice. I'm trying to gradually use up any drinkable essences with neutral and maybe a little oak as for the price of them I'd hate to just throw them away. :-D
warramungas
 
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:38 pm
Location: Nor Perth
equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still


Return to Essences



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

x