Strawberry wash/ brandy

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Strawberry wash/ brandy

Postby Sponge » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:41 pm

Hi just curious if any one has tried doing a strawberry wash/brandy I am currently attempting it now and was after any input from others and criticism

So far I have bought 4 trays of second for $24 and once the green bit was removed and sliced up I have about 15litres or one and a halfish buckets worth I am going to stew them slightly to break down the strawberry a bit add water check to see what specific gravity is and add dissolved auger if it is too low

I will use ec1118 yeast
I have pectinol enzyme (do you think it will be needed I'm not sure of how much pectin is in strawberries)
DAP yeast nutrient
And I was going to check and correct ph before pitching yeast (can anyone tell me what the ball park should be)

All up it should be 50l of wash

One last thing the ec1118 yeast packet says to rehydrate at40-43 degrees Celsius for 15 mins that sounds high to me am I wrong and that's normal?
Sponge

equipment: 5 star neutralizer on keg and 4 60l fermenters

Re: Strawberry wash/ brandy

Postby Sponge » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:51 pm

Don't worry about the yeast question I found the info I needed
Sponge

Postby MacStill » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:10 pm

I believe strawberries are one fruit really high in pectin, might want to check that out mate and you should be ok :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Sponge » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:00 pm

Ok mac I will look into that thank you I did add 50gm of pectinol which is within the recommended range for 50litres :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sponge

Postby bayshine » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:29 am

Let us know how it goes as I've been thinking about doing strawberry brandy for ages but haven't got onto any cheep enough :crying-blue:
I wouldn't stew the berries but freeze them over night and blend them up as fine as I can and would also boost them with some sugar depending on what sg per volume I wanted :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Anyway just my thoughts , cheers
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby bt1 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:28 am

Gee be keen to hear on this one as it develops...normally only do strawberry infusions and they're a winner at Xmas time.

keep us posted please
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Sponge » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:37 am

Ok so far bay shine the picture is how many strawberries I used they were seconds from the farm just north of joondalup on waneroo rd it cost $24 or I bought them as 4 trays and they just put them in the box for me.

I did end up adding 8.5kg of sugar to the wash as The specific gravity was only 1.015 in 50litres of wash that sugar brought it up to 1.076 I don't know if that is because it is the start of season or that's how much sugar you will always get next time I will double the strawberries and try your suggestion of freezing and blending them up fine.

Everywhere I look on the net for pectin count tells me that strawberries are low pectin value fruit so I might not of needed the enzyme but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. :pray:

It is currently at a steady bubble rate of a bubble every 5 second but that's heaps faster that when it started :happy-partydance:

Also the smell is fantastic when the government got home last night she got upset that I used them all in the wash lol :laughing-rolling: and saved none for her.

I will keep everyone updated as it goes along
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sponge

Postby bayshine » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:05 pm

Looks good sponge :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I think strawberries might be low in sugar as ex grower mate told me the first and last pic of the season were the sweetest as the middle season pick grow the largest and the least sweatest :think:
Looking forward to your progress :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby mattcoffs » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:04 pm

Sponge wrote:when the government got home last night

haha, that's awesome! :)) Haven't heard that before!

I'm curious to how this will turn out, sounds like it could be worth a shot.
mattcoffs

equipment: T500 boiler. 2" boka. 2" pot. 100ltr SS stockpot boiler build

Postby slodki » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:52 pm

Any updates how everything went?
slodki

equipment: FSD Neutralizer

Postby Sponge » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:15 pm

Ok well it turned out really really well I ran the wash through my 4 plate 4" bubbler but I think I ran it too slow I still pulled 91% abv during the run the smell off the still was amazing and strong to start with but still remained through the hearts just not so strong I used the very middle heart jar and soaked fresh strawberry pieces in them then diluted down to 20% and added sugar syrup to make a snaps which my sister and girlfriend devoured the following weekend the rest of the hearts is on medium toasted French oak at 5grams approx 1.8 Litres at 65% I reduced the oak because it was in chip form not dominos but time will tell how it goes :pray:

I get to have a sniff and a taste this weekend between flying home Saturday and heading out to the next shut on Sunday :happy-partydance:

I still got a mac rum waiting to be distilled I think I need to work less :))
Sponge

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:17 pm

Good work mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I just hope that 'your sister and girlfriend' are two different people :laughing-rolling:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Prunus » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:41 pm

Hej,

strawberries are not easy to handle. If you can, run them on a complete stainless steel rig. In this case copper negotiate the flavours, cause the best flavors
of strawberries are based on sulfurics. In Europe you won´t find a good tasting strawberry brandy, cause all rigs are out of copper.

regards

prunus
Prunus

equipment: Modular Copper Gun

Return to Fruit & Vegies