Plum Brandy

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Re: Plum Brandy

Postby Bumper » Sat May 06, 2017 12:56 pm

plums.jpg
...So 10kg of late season angelino plums came home from the markets with me today, time to do a small batch of plum brandy....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bumper

equipment: ------

Postby Bumper » Tue May 09, 2017 10:25 pm

Holy crap this wash smells incredible. I did a 5l starter with ec118 and apple juice for 50l. it is bubbling like mad. Thanks all for the wisdom, will be doing bicarb ph adjustments tomorrow :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Bumper

Postby crow » Mon May 15, 2017 3:54 pm

as I had a few to many irons in the fire this year I let my plums go on natural yeast, low and slow. I have one more run of AG left and I will start on the plums that have been sitting all these long months.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Bumper » Tue May 16, 2017 6:39 pm

crow wrote:as I had a few to many irons in the fire this year I let my plums go on natural yeast, low and slow. I have one more run of AG left and I will start on the plums that have been sitting all these long months.
It could be your best drop yet!
Bumper

Postby Bumper » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:41 pm

Just ran 50L of this, strip and spirit run. Fan..bloody...tastic. 4l of hearts with a touch of tails @65%. 1l white and 3 litres on 1 domino of french oak. Thanks again for the recipe!
Bumper

Postby crow » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:27 pm

Part way through running, one thing I noticed is I can't pull out out much above 80% 85 tops. The yield is well down as expected but the flavour is very similar. Its smoother out the spout, weather that makes a lot of difference once aged time will tell.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby crow » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:05 pm

Well that was the first run, the average yielded at around 88% abv and the flavour was just great. Naturally the yield is a bit disappointing for the volume but hey how much sliv does a bloke need. I just have my final chutney run left which experience tells me will yield higher and carry more flavour. What I can say is without a doubt the longer the wine is left on the marc the more robust the plum flavour is.
crow

Postby ClownOfDespair » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:33 pm

Just curious if there is any particular wine yeast you would recommend for best results as I am currently in the process of stripping my cherry plum tree in my backyard and some have been put aside for jam/preserves and the rest is for brandy which will be run through a pot still
ClownOfDespair

equipment: Pot Still

Postby crow » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:03 am

A white wine yeast or a lot use EC118. I had good results with wild yeast last year, it was fairly slow but did ferment out and gave a good flavour. The thing about natural yeasts is it is a gamble for one and two your ratio of fruit to sugar and water wants to be pretty high. Last season I had such a glut of fruit and a bit of a shortage of spare fermenters also it was in my interest for it to go slow as I had some whiskey experiments on the go. To answer your question probably any yeast used for lighter tasting drinks, white wines yeasts, EC118 which is good for most fruit, EC 116 which is good for very light wines like those flavoured with flowers or the natural yeast on the fruit which can vary from outstandingly fantastic to low yielding crap. The other option you have is to go with wild yeast and should it stall have the EC118 on hand to take over, that method is done by a few so they can get the wild yeast flavour while still maximizing yield wild yeasts can vary a great deal from place to place but less likely to from year to year.
crow

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegies