Plum Brandy

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Re: Plum Brandy

Postby Bumper » Sat May 06, 2017 12:56 pm

plums.jpg
...So 10kg of late season angelino plums came home from the markets with me today, time to do a small batch of plum brandy....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bumper

equipment: ------

Postby Bumper » Tue May 09, 2017 10:25 pm

Holy crap this wash smells incredible. I did a 5l starter with ec118 and apple juice for 50l. it is bubbling like mad. Thanks all for the wisdom, will be doing bicarb ph adjustments tomorrow :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Bumper

Postby crow » Mon May 15, 2017 3:54 pm

as I had a few to many irons in the fire this year I let my plums go on natural yeast, low and slow. I have one more run of AG left and I will start on the plums that have been sitting all these long months.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm coke packed rectifying module

Postby Bumper » Tue May 16, 2017 6:39 pm

crow wrote:as I had a few to many irons in the fire this year I let my plums go on natural yeast, low and slow. I have one more run of AG left and I will start on the plums that have been sitting all these long months.
It could be your best drop yet!
Bumper

Postby Bumper » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:41 pm

Just ran 50L of this, strip and spirit run. Fan..bloody...tastic. 4l of hearts with a touch of tails @65%. 1l white and 3 litres on 1 domino of french oak. Thanks again for the recipe!
Bumper

Postby crow » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:27 pm

Part way through running, one thing I noticed is I can't pull out out much above 80% 85 tops. The yield is well down as expected but the flavour is very similar. Its smoother out the spout, weather that makes a lot of difference once aged time will tell.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm coke packed rectifying module

Postby crow » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:05 pm

Well that was the first run, the average yielded at around 88% abv and the flavour was just great. Naturally the yield is a bit disappointing for the volume but hey how much sliv does a bloke need. I just have my final chutney run left which experience tells me will yield higher and carry more flavour. What I can say is without a doubt the longer the wine is left on the marc the more robust the plum flavour is.
crow

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegies