Quinces

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Re: Quinces

Postby Zaximus » Sun May 07, 2017 7:15 pm

Hey Toyoda how'd you go with your quince wash??
Zaximus

equipment: Pot still with a thumper

Postby Zaximus » Sun May 07, 2017 7:46 pm

I've been away from stilling since the last time I ran quince through as I've been studying and working with NO time to scratch my butt!
But I finish my studies next month (after a 4 year slog) and have put some quince on in preparation for my freedom and graduation in September cos I am going to properly get shitfaced for the first time in bloody ages.
Did something a little different this time. I cleaned 20kg of fruit and made sure I cut out all woody material inside before I ran it through my juicer. I poured all juice straight into my fermenter and threw the left over pulp into a bucket. When done with juicing I poured filtered water over the pulp in the bucket and let it sit. I then used a fine strainer and placed it over the pulp mash slowly pressing it down. This filtered the water from the pulp which was full of residual quince juice and flavour. I used a soup ladel to scoop the infused water into my fermenter. It was remarkably strong in flavour. I repeated this until I had enough water in my fermenter. I figured I needed to add water anyway so I may as well get as much flavour out as possible by using the pulp in this way.
I then added 5kg of sugar made into syrup earlier, mixed it around and then added 50g of EC1118 into each 25L fermenter also started earlier. Bit more yeast than usual but I figure what the heck may as well try.
Low and behold, this fermented out in 3 weeks straight. I was a bit concerned that the faster ferment would cause off flavours but it actually tastes like young white wine, almost a pinot gris flavour. What was cool was that the ferment just suddenly stopped one day and when I opened the fermenters the liquid was clear. So I racked the clear liquid off into 2 clean containers and sealed them airtight awaiting my last uni submission early June when I can actually, happily, run this stuff through the still without having to think about uni anymore!
I like this method using the juicer as it minimizes pulp in the wash. The final fermented product is very easily racked off as the lees just sit undisturbed on the bottom. I'm grabbing another 20kg of fruit next week and do it again.
Can't wait to run this. And it's good to be back to the great wealth of knowledge that is this forum. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zaximus

equipment: Pot still with a thumper

Postby toyoda » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:03 pm

Zaximus wrote:Hey Toyoda how'd you go with your quince wash??

Yo

Sorry for late reply, been away a bit.

last years batch did not work out so well - my fault I added some quince jelly to try and give it that lovely colour
but it just made it cloudy.

So this years is on Oak as we speak and has been in the Barrel only 2 weeks but smells promising.

Toyoda !
toyoda

equipment: Home construct

Postby toyoda » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:52 pm

7 months old and this is better than molasses Rum or All Grain Whisky.

:D
toyoda

Postby EziTasting » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:26 pm

That’s a tall order!

Despite my poor results with AGs, it’s the smoothest tasting likker I’ve had! Makes me wonder how they can charge $400+ per bottle for the higher quality Whisky!?!?
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby bluc » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:33 pm

EziTasting wrote:That’s a tall order!

Despite my poor results with AGs, it’s the smoothest tasting likker I’ve had! Makes me wonder how they can charge $400+ per bottle for the higher quality Whisky!?!?

Most of that is barrel storage cost(and marketing spin)
bluc
Mentor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler no bells or whistles..

Postby EziTasting » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:25 pm

Hah, yes.

I’ve been looking up Quinces... what do they taste like? Look like pears (apparently even tho the pics look more like apples)...
EziTasting

Postby PeterC » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:45 pm

EziTasting wrote:Hah, yes.

I’ve been looking up Quinces... what do they taste like? Look like pears (apparently even tho the pics look more like apples)...

They taste delicate and floral. My wife makes quince paste and jelly. She cuts out the woody centre and cooks them for a long time. They turn from white to a pink colour. We then strain the liquid through a cloth. I have to squeeze as much as I can out through the cloth by twisting it. She then adds sugar and some lemons to set it. Very nice. Tastes great with a sharp tangy cheese and white wine. Maggie Beer was selling it in her range of speciality produce.

We have only come by the fruit from places where they have an old orchard and the trees were planted years ago. Many people don't know what they are and give them away. Too much work these days for most. But my missus is an old fashioned farm girl.
PeterC

equipment: A 2" pot still on a 50L keg with 2x2200W elements. A 4 plate, 4 inch column + packed section just learning to drive.

Postby EziTasting » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:50 pm

Rito,
What’s the flavour like? Is there anything that is like it?
EziTasting

Postby toyoda » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:20 am

Definately a Brandy taste - Drinking it neat out of a warmed Brandy glass.

Pretty smooth taste and does not leave an aftertaste in the mouth, slight sweetness probably
from aging on toasted American Oak.

If you have access to Quinces definately give it a go - just kicking myself because I gave more
Quinces away than I actually used !
toyoda

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegies