Persimmon Brandy

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Persimmon Brandy

Postby nuddy » Mon May 29, 2017 4:28 pm

Hey Gang,

I've received a whole bunch of persimmons and am planning on making a persimmon brandy with them.

They are Hachiya persimmons and go from a firm flesh with a tart mouth puckering taste to a pulpy sweet and soft bodied fruit when ripened up, so far I have 4kgs of ripe pulp frozen and have another 10-15ish kgs of the fruit ripening up awaiting their turn for processing.

In the little research I've done I'm basing the sugar content of them at 13% by weight.
Plan to use as much of the pulp as possible, check the SG then bump up with sugar if needed.
Will base wash size on amount of pulp I end up with.

I've never fermented fruit let alone made brandy with them. Does anyone have previous experience making wine or brandy with persimmons? Sites are saying that I should use pectinase and others are saying not too as it will bump the menthol content of the ferment up.

Any tips with making brandy out of these beasties?
nuddy

equipment: 2" bokabob
4" blockhead bubbler build in progress

Re: Persimmon Brandy

Postby Wobblyboot » Mon May 29, 2017 6:36 pm

I'd use the pectinase as the cure for methanol poisoning is ethanol. Make a bigger fores cut and all good :handgestures-thumbupleft: use a decent yeast like ec1118, don't use bakers yeast :handgestures-thumbdown: and I'd add some sugar to bump up the output too if needed. I don't put any fruit on oak as it changes the taste of it in my opinion and not for the better.
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby nuddy » Wed May 31, 2017 3:18 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:I'd use the pectinase as the cure for methanol poisoning is ethanol. Make a bigger fores cut and all good :handgestures-thumbupleft: use a decent yeast like ec1118, don't use bakers yeast :handgestures-thumbdown: and I'd add some sugar to bump up the output too if needed. I don't put any fruit on oak as it changes the taste of it in my opinion and not for the better.

Cheers Wobbly,

Did a bit more reading, pectinase will break down the cell walls in the fruit adding in extraction of juice/liquid. I'm assuming this will allow more sugars to be actively fermentable.

Is there a specific time it should be added? I'm working off a vintners method and will be adding the pectinase to the wash before I pitch the yeast. Give it 12 hours, check the SG to see if the pectinase has released any more fermentable sugars, then pitch ec1118 yeast.
nuddy

Postby Wobblyboot » Wed May 31, 2017 5:47 pm

I usually leave pectinase for 24hrs hrs then hit with mixing drill again before I bung yeast in :-B
Pulp, skins all go in but I never add any seeds :handgestures-thumbupleft: Iv found fruit like a cooler,longer ferment if that helps. I use gas for boiler, so I can put it all in, no straining.
Wobblyboot

Postby nuddy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:42 pm

I've been taking the skins off and throwing them out so far. Still have a decent amount left ripening up. So I can keep these if its necessary.

What does the skin provide?
nuddy

Postby Wobblyboot » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:28 pm

I think there flavours and enzymes in them :? Some of the more scientific bloke here could prob explain better 8-}
Wobblyboot

Postby toyoda » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:09 pm

When I was in Japan a couple of years ago I came across a market selling refashioned Judo Gee's which had been dyed with
Kakishibu which apparently is almost waterproof.

Why do I mention this !

Kakishibu is a natural dye derived from juicing unripe persimmons. The juice is then fermented to create the final product,

Although I think this is the very Astringent Persimmons and not the sweet variety.

Toyoda
toyoda

equipment: Home construct

Postby nuddy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:51 pm

Finally got round to putting this wash down. Just putting this out there for anyone interested.

60L ferment volume
13.8kg of frozen persimmons pulp and skins put into fermenter, approx 2.4kg sugars.
Filled to 30L mark with hot tap water to thaw out persimmons.
Hit with paint mixer to blend. Very viscous and soupy.
Filled to 40L mark.
2 tsp of pectinase added and hit with paint mixer.
Left to wait for 24 hours.
Wash less viscous but still had a soupy feel to it.
Filled to 50L mark with warm/hot water to hit pitching temp of 25C.
2 tsp DAP and espom salts added.
Checked SG was sitting at 1.02 about right for what I was predicting with 14-15% sugars by weight from persimmons.
Added 8kg of white sugar with warm/hot water.
Filled to 60L mark.
Hit with paint mixer.
SG 1.07 temp 25C PH 5.6
30g EC1118 yeast hydrated in 300ml of 35C water for 20 mins.
Stirred into wash.
Towel wrapped around fermenter.

Now to play the waiting game and see how this turns out.
nuddy

Return to Fruit & Vegies