jabuticaba brazillian grape

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

jabuticaba brazillian grape

Postby rash » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:08 pm

I have access to around 25ltrs of jabuticaba berry wine that my father in law made a couple of years ago. I also have a new 4 plate bubbler :D .
I dont know much about the do's and don'ts with distilling berrys.
A bit of research shows you can get jabuticaba liqures. But thats a bit different isnt it?
Is it worth trying? Or is there some "don'ts" associated with this....
Thanks,
Ash
rash

equipment: Pot still
4 plate, 3" bubbler on 50ltr keg boiler.

Re: jabuticaba brazillian grape

Postby bluc » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:01 pm

Double the fores and do tight cuts where heads are concerened. Other than that all good proceed as normal. Not sure what yield you will get.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby rash » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:34 pm

bluc wrote:Double the fores and do tight cuts where heads are concerened. Other than that all good proceed as normal. Not sure what yield you will get.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks bluc, will run it this week then. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yeah, not sure on yield, but experience will be gained and its better than turfing it out..
Ash
rash

Postby copperhead road » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:14 pm

Let us know the outcome, interested on the results :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby rash » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:52 pm

copperhead road wrote:Let us know the outcome, interested on the results :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Will do mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rash

Postby coffe addict » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:23 am

I will wager that it's going to be good! I would think that similar to grape spirit it'll do well being aged on oak. I have three jaboticaba's growing but they're a wee way off producing.

Good luck!
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Nino » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:48 am

bluc wrote:Double the fores and do tight cuts where heads are concerened. Other than that all good proceed as normal. Not sure what yield you will get.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Would this apply to wine as well?
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

Postby copperhead road » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:11 am

Nino wrote:

It is Wine that he is going to run. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I'm pretty sure what bluc is explaining is there are more fores that will come from fruit, wether it's grapes, pears , apples ect....
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby rash » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:33 pm

coffe addict wrote:I will wager that it's going to be good! I would think that similar to grape spirit it'll do well being aged on oak. I have three jaboticaba's growing but they're a wee way off producing.

Good luck!

That was going to be my next question haha. Aging, you reckon on oak is the go?? And how long are we looking at?
Thanks, Ash.
rash

Postby Nino » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:24 pm

copperhead road wrote:
Nino wrote:

It is Wine that he is going to run. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I'm pretty sure what bluc is explaining is there are more fores that will come from fruit, wether it's grapes, pears , apples ect....

Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

Postby Kenster » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:51 pm

Ash, is the wine 'drinkable'? ie. not soury or off... If it is a fair drink as a wine, just drink it cos if it is around 10 or 12%, well, 10 or 12% of 25 lit is not a lot of booze that will be collected after distillation, assuming you adjust for fores and tails...not a heap of hearts.If you do decide to distill, take off more fores than a normal sugar wash as more methanol is produced with a fruit based wash.You will need to use a pot still(obviously) and take it off very slowly otherwise the flavour is pretty ordinary, with little fruit carry over.A few months on oak will help take the sharpness out and give it a nice colour.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby TasSpirits » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:03 pm

I ran some very ordinary Cider through 4 plates, lightly oaked it(French) and it turned out awesome, also have some Rhubarb and Cherry brandy aging now. Just lighten up on the cuts(smaller), let them air and taste test. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby copperhead road » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:10 pm

TasSpirits wrote:I ran some very ordinary Cider through 4 plates, lightly oaked it(French) and it turned out awesome, also have some Rhubarb and Cherry brandy aging now. Just lighten up on the cuts(smaller), let them air and taste test. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Rhubarb brandy sounds delicious, did you cook it first like you would normally do for a desert pulp :think:
copperhead road

Postby rash » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:22 pm

Kenster wrote:Ash, is the wine 'drinkable'? ie. not soury or off... If it is a fair drink as a wine, just drink it cos if it is around 10 or 12%, well, 10 or 12% of 25 lit is not a lot of booze that will be collected after distillation, assuming you adjust for fores and tails...not a heap of hearts.If you do decide to distill, take off more fores than a normal sugar wash as more methanol is produced with a fruit based wash.You will need to use a pot still(obviously) and take it off very slowly otherwise the flavour is pretty ordinary, with little fruit carry over.A few months on oak will help take the sharpness out and give it a nice colour.

The wine is drinkable, a little bitter, but i'm not much of a wine drinker. Not expecting a lot out of it, would rather get a bottle or 2 of schnapps out of it. Might see how it goes keeping it clear for a while. Then i can throw some oak in if im not happy with the flavour.
rash

Postby rash » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:25 pm

TasSpirits wrote:I ran some very ordinary Cider through 4 plates, lightly oaked it(French) and it turned out awesome, also have some Rhubarb and Cherry brandy aging now. Just lighten up on the cuts(smaller), let them air and taste test. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The rhubarb does sound nice. Yep, will be running it slowly through 4 plates. Will be the christening run for my new bubbler :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rash

Postby TasSpirits » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:27 pm

copperhead road wrote:

Rhubarb brandy sounds delicious, did you cook it first like you would normally do for a desert pulp :think:

Freeze and macerate with sugar for 3 days then top up with water and ferment with country wine yeast. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby coffe addict » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:29 am

On the aging I have some red wine brandy that was aged 2yrs in a barrel. It's amazing.
No it's not my creation, like most things time is your friend.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby rash » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:43 pm

I finally ran this last night! Had around 25ltrs of wash and ran it slowly through 4 plates. Yield was quite low. I turfed 250ml fores and then collected 7 jars of 180ml at 90%. Then another 200ml with no reflux running very quickly down to 20%. The smells were very nice!
After deciding on cuts, i ended up using all of jars 3 to 5 and half of jar 2 as the jabuticaba smell from it was very nice, but not harsh like jar 1.
So i got about a litre of 40% to keep. ( gave 700ml to the father in law )
Low yeild, but smells beautiful. The aroma of the wine carried through nicely. Will air out a bit more and keep it clear i think.
Ash.
rash

Return to Fruit & Vegies