Chocolate pudding brandy

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Chocolate pudding brandy

Postby nuddy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:54 pm

Was given a few kilos of black sapotes (chocolate pudding fruit) by a family member. I've tried em once ripened up and they resemble a mild chocolate pudding with out the sugar hit.

I learnt a few lessons after fermenting and distilling japanese persimmons trying to make a brandy out of them. Will be applying them to this. Namely using the sugar in the fruit to ferment then feeding the wash with a little extra sugar to bump up abv but not dilute the flavour out with too high of an abv.

The lack of sweet flavour has me a little worried that it contains low to no naturally fermentable sugars.

I blended 150g of the frozen pulp up, put it in a erlenmeyer flask and topped it up to 1L with water and gave it a good mix.
The liquid was slightly viscous, stuck a hydrometer into it the reading was 1.000 which was disappointing.

I decided to give it another chance and added 1/4 tsp of pectinase and mixed it thoroughly. Let it sit for 24hr then took another reading. Liquid was as viscous as previous and the SG was still sitting around 1.000.

Doesn't appear to be any naturally fermentable sugars.

I'm going to try ferment the remaining 3.5kg of pulp in a 30L wash with 4kg of white sugar (added in 2 stages, 2kg for initial ferment then 2kg more after a day or 2, SG depending)
Should produce an approx 7.8% abv wash (Initial SG 1.051)
Will be using EC1118 yeast.
Either going to run this through the bubbler or pot still it.

Now to the more educated and experienced stillers out there, will this result in me just making a very weak flavoured neutral. Should I use a different yeast and or adjust the sugar content in it? Pot still or bubbler?
nuddy

equipment: 2" bokabob
4" blockhead bubbler build in progress

Re: Chocolate pudding brandy

Postby Chief » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:18 am

Hey mate. How did this turn out. I have tried a port made from black sapoate which was quite nice. Not sure if the alcohol was produced by fermentation of the fruit though and more likely addition of neutral spirit with the fruit ised for flavour.
Chief

equipment: 4 inch bubbler

Postby warramungas » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:51 pm

Curious. Id have thrown some yeast in there anyway yo see if it would bubble. A hydrometer that read 1.000 in a highly thick liquid sounds suss.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby nuddy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:50 pm

I ended up ditching it.

Went back and had a look in my notes and the last thing I had written was the addition of some EC-1118 yeast. Nothing written after that.

As to the viscosity of the wash, I do remember doing a 1:2 dilution with water, hydrometer was able to move more freely however still ended up sitting at the 1.000 mark.

Still have the black sapotes sitting in the freezer..... not sure what to do with em.

Any suggestions? Possibly a maceration in some high strength neutral, filter out the chunks and sweeten with some stevia?
nuddy

equipment: 2" bokabob
4" blockhead bubbler build in progress

Return to Fruit & Vegies