Manzano Chilli

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Manzano Chilli

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:24 pm

G'day Guy's,
SWMBO picked about 3kg's of chilli off my chilli tree this arvo and casually said time for you to do a chilli ferment :scared-eek:

chilli.jpg

So while the cricket was on setup a table and diced all the chilli's up and final weight was 2.34Kg's of fruit. I was thinking all the time maybe should go and get the refractometer but thought bugger it may aswell finish cutting up the fruit. Just had to have a taste and man :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease: this stuff is nice and hot.

Went and got the refractometer and rubbed some fruit on the plate then had a quiz :geek: and got 7 Brix :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: . So looks like some EC1118 yeast should ferment this nicely but as this is really my first fruit wash I'm thinking of the best way to go. Got the fruit in a 5 litre SS pot so add say 3 litres of water and give it a boil while stirring or just throw the lot in a fermenter along with some sugar to get up to 1060.

Cheers Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Re: Manzano Chilli

Postby EziTasting » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:48 pm

Not 100% sure myself but to get ALL the goodness out, I’d freeze them for a day or two as that tends to burst the cells, releasing all their goodness including sugars!

Never boiler fruit before fermenting so can’t comment...

Either way, I’d do it rather than trying to ferment the fruits as they are.

:laughing-rolling: it’ll also stop the yeast from jumping out of the FV yelping like a cartoon dog! :laughing-rolling:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:17 pm

Well couldn't leave that chilli overnight so had a scrounge in the cupboard and found 2kg of sugar to go with the 2kg had in the shed. So put about 5 litres on the boil and inverted the sugar then when mixed dumped it into the fermenter closely followed by the chilli ang gave it a good stir. Then topped it up with water to about 25 litres and 1065 on the refractometer :happy-partydance: so topped it up a tad more and the final sg check came in at 1060 :music-deathmetal:.

Made a yeast starter bomb with some EC1118 yeast and while that was starting did a ph check and 5.5 is close enough for me so when the yeast was ready threw it and gave it a good stir for 2 minutes, put the lid on and hopefully bubbling away in the morning.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Sugardaddy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:51 pm

Great thread mate I am keen to see how this one goes :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sugardaddy

equipment: Pot still

Postby Dig Brinker » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:18 pm

:text-+1:
Got a small Bush coming up into it’s second season, I hope you wore gloves, mine are hot as fark!!

I saw on moonshiners they made a jalapeño sugar wash, same as you’re doing but with jalapeños. Run through a pot & thumper. Would come off better through a bubbler imo.

Keep us posted!
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:19 pm

I harvested another 1.7kg's today and diced then up for 1.4kg's and into the freezer they have gone. It will be interesting after freezing if the brix goes up or stays the same.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:03 pm

G'day Guy's,
Decided to run this chilli wash this morning and while siphoning got a taste of the wash, nice and sweet with a bit of a bite on the hot scale. Ran it using 4 plates and pulled close to 2 litres of 90% or better. Doing a D.P. watered down it seems to have hit the mark with the taste of the fruit coming to the fore with a slight hotness following as it goes down.

I'll let the cut jars air for a day then do the cuts and I'm thinking of keeping one bottle of white dog then put the rest on wood @ 65% for a while and see what flavour profile come out.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Dig Brinker » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Well done, that sounds good. Mine hasn’t flowered yet, even though it grew winter fruit...
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby EziTasting » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:07 pm

Bryan,
What’s your thoughts on including some chilies with say a Rum or a Whisky ... just thinking... would it add anything to those?!?!

Like all three but it doesn’t necessarily mean that they’ll work together...
EziTasting

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:27 pm

Well did the cuts today and watered down the chilli to 40%, 3 1 litre bottles and a 750ml bottle so not a bad effort for a 30 litre wash. Now on tasting it's one of the nicest drops I've made to date first theres a hint of the fruit then BANG :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease: the chilli hit blasts down the throat for a quick burst leaving a nice taste of the fruit as it goes down.

It won't be long before more chilli's are ripe and I have a couple of kilo in the freezer too. With the next run I may have a go at aging it on some fruit wood and see what comes out.

All in all I reckon this experiment has proven to be a success and I will be making more as the supply of chiilis seems never ending....

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:41 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well with a warm one today and a hotter one tomorrow time to grab a bucket full of chilli's before the heat crinkles all of them up. :scared-eek:

chilli bucket.jpg

Still got a couple of Kg's in the freezer to go along with this lot so may aswell go a 50 litre ferment and I'll check the brix before deciding how much sugar to put in to get it to 1060 as I do find that make for a good producing wash and not stressing out the yeasties. With this batch I'm going to make up a 5 litre @65% batch up and put some charred/toasted french oak chips in to see what flavours come out after 12 months.

Cheers Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:35 pm

Had some time this morning so diced up that bucket and put the frozen chilli into the hotbox to thaw out and 1/2 an hour later when they had thawed out checked the chilli with my refractometer 1031 was the average :scared-eek: where freshly diced chilli is 1027. :think:. SWMBO came into tune and diced most of them up saying I was too slow :)) :)) :)) .

Anyway as my 30 litre fermenter is already in use with a cider decided to get that black fermenter SWMBO brought home a few months ago. Here I was thinking it was a 30 litre one just ordered 4kg's of sugar on the shopping run. Found out soon enough the fermenter is actually 40 litres and when checked the sg was only 1039 :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek:. So back down to the house to pinch the 2kg in the cupboard and that brought it up to 1055 which was good enough as the EC1118 yeast bomb was going off it's tit's :)) .

This one is going to go on oak @65% and see what flavour profile comes out after 12 months and I reckon it will be a nice drop.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby EziTasting » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:26 pm

Bryan1 wrote:... the EC1118 yeast bomb was going off it's tit's :)) .
Cheers Bryan

What yeast bomb do you make?
EziTasting

Postby bluc » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:45 pm

Just how much heat carries over bryan? Compared with eating a raw chilli?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:33 pm

EziTasting wrote:
Bryan1 wrote:... the EC1118 yeast bomb was going off it's tit's :)) .
Cheers Bryan

What yeast bomb do you make?

I just put a bit of sugar in a moccona cut jar and warm water then a good sprinkle of EC1118 yeast taken from the fridge where it lives and within 20 minutes it's puffing out the top of the jar.

The wash is bubbling away already so if like the first about 2 weeks to finish then a week to clear then it's ready to run.

Still got one of the original bottles where I just macerated a chilli in some 40% and it still packs a bit of heat and the flavour comes right thru. So it will be interesting over time how the distilled chilli will go.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:07 pm

Ran the chilli wash this morning and early afternoon and got 2-1/2" litres of 90%+ before cuts. This run is going on oak for 12 months to see what profile it comes up too which should be a oaky tasting fruit bomb :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease: . Can't call it whisky as it aint got any corn but I'll think of something down the track.

As the chilli's hadn't lost any colour and on making 1/2 a dozen throw down beers having a taste of the wash was like :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek: this baby is close to rocket fuel for the heat :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: . So I'll see how it matures on the second ferment in the bottle.

I decided to get a generation started so grabbed 5 litres of backset and dissolved 8 kg's of sugar in. Topped up the fermenter and did a refractometer reading and saw 1063 so right on the money for the sugar content. :happy-partydance: . As the wash was 4.2 ph put a sprinkle of baking soda in and got it to 5.4ph then made up a new yeast bomb using my EC1118 yeast.

Be interesting to see how the generation goes and after this batch I'll replace most of the spent chilli with new chilli's.

all in good fun

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby EziTasting » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:51 pm

I find this fascinating! Keep up the good work, love pioneering....
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
EziTasting

Postby A&O » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:16 pm

Great work Bryan. I’m with Ezi, this has been a fantastic read, keep up the great work.
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:57 pm

G'day Guy's,
Did the cuts today and got a 2 litre goon bottle @65% with one stick of charred/toasted french oak. ( The charring is just putting the bunnings blow torch and get some blackness happening.

I watered the rest down to 40% and got a litre and 750ml bottle, so not a bad yield for a 40 litre fermenter.

Within 2 hours of putting in the yeast bomb it was bubbling away and going hard this arvo when I looked. Whats the bet the EC1118 yeast is going YOU BASTARD NOT AGAIN :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: and it will finish fermenting in a week just like the last one.

Just had to have a taste and this second brew does taste better with a full on fruit taste then BANG :scared-eek: as the heat sinks in.

The chilli tree is ready for another harvest so time to get dicing and I'll throw it in the freezer as the last frozen ones did raise the brix by several points. :happy-partydance:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:39 pm

Well with those 2 hot days last weekend the temp stick on gauge was blank and the shed was showing 46C on the temp gauge I use so often. I did notice on Saturday night it had stopped bubbling so I tightened the lid of the fermenter a bit more and next morning it was bubbling. So thought that was the problem :happy-partydance: only to find by lunchtime on sunday it had stopped again. :angry-banghead: . So left it until after work on monday when it was cooler, took the lid off and put my ear to the ferment only to hear a faint action and with the ferment still at 1040 it should of been fizzing like mad.

Anyway made up a new yeast bomb by taking some of the wash and putting it in a moccano jar then a good sprinkle of EC1118 and gave it a good stir. 30 minutes later not much action and it did feel a tad cold so waved the bunnings torch around it to warm it up and the action soon started. Checked the sg last night and it had dropped 10 points and it is back to bubbling quickly with the stick on temp gauge showing 26-28 degrees.

So with this cool patch this week it should finish in a few days and another week to clear then another run to put on oak and a 3rd generation to start. Looking at the chilli it hasn't lost any colouring and the wash is still like one lick and wheres that bloody water :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek: .

It's going to be a good day when I give a mate a chilli beer and offer him $50 to skull it :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Last edited by RuddyCrazy on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegies