Distilling wine

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Re: Distilling wine

Postby bluc » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:40 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:
bluc wrote:So are people doing sugarhead fruit mashs? Is there a rule of thumb for amount of fruit to total volume in the fermrnter?

Crows plumb brandy would be it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks for the tip was an interesting read and I reakon I got my answear.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Lowie » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:10 pm

Jesus turned water into wine. But I digress... :laughing-rolling:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby scythe » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:12 am

With the failed section of your condenser i think it may be from the flux used during construction.

When i pulled my RC to bits i noticed that it was fairly corroded at the plate to pipe join, and i hadn't even finished building it by that point, might have sat for 9months or more waiting to be finished.
Make sure you neutralise the flux by rinsing it out with water atleast after building.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby YarraRanges » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:25 pm

scythe wrote:With the failed section of your condenser i think it may be from the flux used during construction.

When i pulled my RC to bits i noticed that it was fairly corroded at the plate to pipe join, and i hadn't even finished building it by that point, might have sat for 9months or more waiting to be finished.
Make sure you neutralise the flux by rinsing it out with water atleast after building.

I always rinse out anything I make and then put into a citric acid wash for about 36 hours for the final cleaning of the copper.
I've disconnected from the mains and run on tank water so the water is very soft and just slightly lower than a pH of 7.
I use 2% plumbers brazing rod so there's no flux to stay on the surface. I'm fairly sure that it was the sulphides in the wine that caused the problem.
YarraRanges

equipment: 14 plate bubbler

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegies