Apples

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Apples

Postby dans.brew » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:40 pm

So i got given a couple buckets of apples the other day. I think they are golden delicous... they weren't very big so it took a bit to core them all. Thought i would have a crack at turning them into something drinkable.
Since i haven't got enough to juice and ferment that way, I've just cored them, chopped up and put in a couple pots on the stove to stew down.
I actually froze them overnight after coring, thought this may help get a tad more flavour out of them? :think:
20190214_212508.jpg

Once they're stewed im going to put it in a food processor and try and get it to a smooth puree. I'll then water it down with some water which isn't ideal or perhaps some apple juice if i can get some. I'm using ec1118 yeast.
I don't expect a fully flavoured drop with only this amount of apples, but i was thinking of steeping some of it in some apples after its gone through the bubbler... see if i could build on the flavour. This is my thoughts so far and open to suggestions. Just a bit of experimenting really. :handgestures-thumbupleft: 8
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Re: Apples

Postby scythe » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:25 pm

I think more of the flavour can be extracted from the skins after you have a high %ABV spirit.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby dans.brew » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:42 pm

Thanks scythe
Thats what i read somewhere too. I'll see how it comes off the still and go from there i suppose.
dans.brew

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:54 pm

I would add an apple cider concentrate from the HBS wich uses granny smiths not cheap but would come with a suitable yeast for apples as well.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby scythe » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:38 pm

Dans.brew:
I think it was in the G-dropper thread.
When people were talking about other flavours to make.
Something about scoring the skin as well to help release the flavour.
Or maybe the tincture thread the doctor posted.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby dans.brew » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:01 am

hillzabilly wrote:I would add an apple cider concentrate from the HBS wich uses granny smiths not cheap but would come with a suitable yeast for apples as well.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

This would be the go if i lived anywhere near a hbs... i couldn't even get the cook to get me some apple juice from town as she had already been for the week.
So i ended up putting all the apple puree in the fermenter with a couple kgs of sugar and topped up to 30 ltrs.
I got the drill and stirer into it and gave it a good mix to really blend up the puree. Rehydrated some ec1118 yeast and in it went with 3 tsp of DAP.
My sg was 1.040 or a bit better... it had a fair amount of fine floaties so prob not real accurate.
Not a very high sg, but i thought if i keep it down a bit it might help flavour wise. Id rather quality over quantity.
Got up this morning and it was fermenting nicely, but it did push quite a bit of foam out the airlock after i went to bed. All good now and the smell coming out the top aint too bad either. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:21 pm

No worries,I have done a couple of fruit mashs and found my expectations of flavour very hard to achieve,the more sugar you add the more your flavour will be watered down,hope it works out for you .cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:05 pm

G'day Dan,
I have done 2 runs in my minime pot still using dried cider apple along with some other erb's and man what a nice taste, considering this was done from a pot still the taste is similar to one done in a bubbler. All I did was macerate the dried cider apple in some 40% and put the lot in the boiler for the run. The idea was when the boiler gets upto temp the alchol in the apple will release along with the flavour and on tasting the apple after the run there was no taste left so I reckon I was right. Got it on some french oak now and it is getting better week after week.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby dans.brew » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:33 pm

Thanks fellas! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
My expectations aren't too high for flavour... especially with the sugar addition.
I'll just see how she goes, more than likely I'll soak some apple skins in it.
dans.brew

Return to Fruit & Vegies