Grape juice

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Re: Grape juice

Postby Sam. » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:39 pm

ethanolrob wrote:Local Cider and Wine makers love fermenting with wild yeast... "wild" wines are big sellers, and local cider guy reckons the best cider he has ever made fermented dry to 6-7% with wild yeast by pure accident. However, Im unsure how that affects distilling...

Yep that’s great if you are in a region that has good natural yeast cultures, otherwise your just going to get lacto or Brett which are both fucking terrible
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby dans.brew » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:35 pm

bluc wrote:How did this turn out dan?

I presume it tasted good... the person i did it for was happy. It was a bit rough off the still but i didnt get heaps from it as expected so doing good cuts was a tad hard.
Thinking back now... prob should of kept a little bit just to see what time and oak would of done.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby bluc » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:41 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: i did some grape concentrate brandy turned out very nice after 12ish mnths on oak. I used it to perserve cumquats which also turned out awesome :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby dans.brew » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:15 pm

bluc wrote:I used it to perserve cumquats which also turned out awesome :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Nice stuff bluc. Cant beat putting some of your own brew in the cooking.
I was on holidays a few weeks back and we started mixing rum, banana, choc chip icecream and a pinch of cinnamon then thru the nutri bullet... sensational! Couldnt stop drinking the stuff. :obscene-drinkingchug:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby danwbrews » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:51 pm

If you don't have or want to use Campden tablets and have natural yeast starting, another yeast you can use is K1V 1116. Its another Champaign style yeast capable of 18 %. They call it Killer yeast, hence K1. It grows fast and changes the Ph prohibiting the wild yeast from taking over. Some wine makers don't like it because it produces esters that they don't like in a wine. I don't know what it would change in a brandy. I do know that you won't be adding extra Sulfites to your wash though. K1 works great with white grapes and apple ciders. The esters complement those products. Plus it ferments out faster that EC 1118.
Dan
Last edited by danwbrews on Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danwbrews

equipment: I'm new to the hobby. I've been a beer brewer for 23 years. Building a CCVM still that can be used as a pot still when I want.
I have a 15 gallon Keg with 2 2000 W electric heaters. with a 2"potstill head 20" tall and a 2" shotgun condenser 20" long with four 1/2" condenser tubes. A 1.5 meter packed column is in the works.

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegies