Wineo's Apple Pie

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Wineo's Apple Pie

Postby R-sole » Tue May 10, 2011 6:23 am

This a beauty of a recipe, another posted by Wineo of a popular drink in the south of the United States.

I've made a fair few batches and it comes up a treat. Sweet and sippable straight from the flask.

A well and truely proven favourite from Wineo

Heres my basic apple pie recipe.
Granny smith,and any red apples
1/4 cup of raisins
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2-3 cinnimin sticks
Any 80-100 proof neutral,or corn hearts
Cut up apples into wedges leaving out the core and seeds
Put raisins,and sugar in jar
Put equal amounts of both kinds of apples in quart jars.{fill them up}
Add cinnimin sticks
Fill jars with booze,close,and shake daily.
After 4 days remove the cinnimin sticks.
It will be ready to drink in a week or so,but leaving it for more than a month will make it much better.Some people add a 1/2 cup of sugar,but I like it not as sweet.
If you make this,make a few jars,because it goes fast.

Recipe is for 1l just up the ingredients to do more. I use the square $5 four litre cookie jars from the bargain store (don't forget to throw the rubber seal away) and about 3kg or so of red and the same of green apples. You can get away with 2/3rd filling the jar.

applepie.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Re: Wineo's Apple Pie

Postby Brigand » Tue May 10, 2011 10:28 am

That sounds mighty tasty

Will have to give it a go soon

Cheers
Brigand

equipment: 4" SS 6 Plate Bubbler
2" VM 1500mm Packed
2" Pot 500mm
5L Copper Alembic

Postby bradsgonetrekkin » Thu May 12, 2011 9:31 pm

I couldn't get this recipe out of my head so I've just put down a batch with around 1.5litres of whitedog corn whiskey tonight.

Didn't have the big glass jars so I borrowed the wifes big ceramic casserole dish and lid. Fits perfectly!!

Any tips for the use of the fruit after maceration complete 5Star?
bradsgonetrekkin

equipment: 18 gallon (80litre) ss keg boiler with 2400w and 1200w elements
65-50-35-19mm copper pot head/ stripper
2m high 65-50mm copper vapour management column with cross flow condensor head
630mm long 3/4 over 1/2 inch leibig and 32mm outer, 1/2 inch inner 'double barrel' interchangable condensors

Postby R-sole » Fri May 13, 2011 4:31 am

Here's what not to do :lol: :lol:

http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3 ... f=8&t=4460

Any recipe you'd use for a struedel or pie would be good. they go pretty unappetising though.
Apple sauce would be my suggestion. I made some a few weeks ago with some cinnamon and brown sugar ect and added bourbon. Placed in jars and froze, it's tops on Pork Roast.

Bit of ice cream would be safest.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby MacStill » Sat May 14, 2011 7:19 pm

I wont be doing the oven roasted apple bomb but did stick to the original recipe, just made a 2L batch to see how it would go.

Only thing I need to ask is are the apples meant to go brown once soaking?
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby R-sole » Sun May 15, 2011 6:57 am

Yep. They're not very appetising looking, that's why i reckon apple sauce would be the best final use for em.
R-sole

Postby bradsgonetrekkin » Tue May 31, 2011 8:26 pm

just tried some of this stuff tonight after soaking the apples for around 3 weeks. 3-4 ice cubes, a good slug of shine and top up the glass with ginger beer..... Friggen awesome!!!!!
bradsgonetrekkin

equipment: 18 gallon (80litre) ss keg boiler with 2400w and 1200w elements
65-50-35-19mm copper pot head/ stripper
2m high 65-50mm copper vapour management column with cross flow condensor head
630mm long 3/4 over 1/2 inch leibig and 32mm outer, 1/2 inch inner 'double barrel' interchangable condensors

Postby SBB » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:13 pm

Knocked up a 1L batch of this a few days ago......anyone have ideas on the right amount of time to leave the apples in. Looking around the net Im seeing times from 4 days to a couple of months :? :?
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby busman » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:10 pm

I've just put a couple of jars down too. The original poster says a week minimum but the longer the better, I guess it's down to your tastebuds.

Just going back to what 5Star said about the rubber seals on the jars, does anyone have an alternate way of sealing them, or do you guys just not bother?
busman

equipment: 2" VM column, 2" pot still, 55L keg boiler

Postby Kimbo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi Busman,
i just took the seals off and clamped the lid back down (glass to glass) ;)
coz i knew it wouldnt last long :lol:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby SBB » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:40 am

Ive got an old 5l demijohn which has an extra large neck about 2 inch ID also a cork to fit so I dont have that problem.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby R-sole » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:31 am

I do what kimbo says. i use heaps of the square cookie jars for ageing, as long as it's only a month or two, just make sure you're up where you want to be where you start or even a couple points higher. If it's six months or more then you have to start worrying for sure.

i find with these sipping macerations like Grunne Nuice and Apple pie that it's fine to be a little less than standard brown spirit in the abv anyway. ;)
R-sole

Postby Apple-O-Me-Eye » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:43 pm

I knocked up an apple pie using a different recipe just yesterday. Super easy:

6L homebrand apple juice ( two times 3L bottles)
3 cups caster sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar
8 cinnamon sticks
2L of 60% liquor (I used a mixed cereal spirit made from allbran, special K and sugar)

Method:
Heat 3 L of apple juice and cinnamon in a large stock pot. Dissolve all sugar into in hot apple juice (the origion recipe says to bring it to the boil but I found this unnecessary). Put the pot in a sink full of cold water to cool rapidly and add the other 3 litres of cold juice to it to cool it down. Finally poor in your chosen spirit and give it a good stir. I bottled this in 2 Litre glass bottles and put 2 of the cinnamon sticks in each.

It was VERY popular at the BBQ last night.

This is the first time I've made this recipe and I hear it gets better after a few weeks.
Apple-O-Me-Eye

equipment: I run a pot still with liebeg condenser, 90deg line arm on a gas poweredkeg boiler

Postby R-sole » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:09 pm

Trouble there is that you have a wine of 15% rather than a spirit of 35-50%.

Still probably a nice drink as you say, but a different class of drink.
R-sole

Postby Apple-O-Me-Eye » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:32 pm

5Star wrote:Trouble there is that you have a wine of 15% rather than a spirit of 35-50%.

Still probably a nice drink as you say, but a different class of drink.

Very true 5Star. The recipe I posted is closer to a fortified wine than an infused liqueur. The flavour and aroma remind me of stones green ginger wine. The cinnamon gives it a spicyness. I've been wanting to try Wino's recipe for a while and I think I will once I move into my new place and get set back up.
Apple-O-Me-Eye

equipment: I run a pot still with liebeg condenser, 90deg line arm on a gas poweredkeg boiler

Postby R-sole » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:55 pm

MMMmmm Stones.....

My absolute favourite bush drink. I never go camping, canoeing, hunting or bushwalking without it.

Haven't been able to replicate it despite a fair dinkum first try.
R-sole

Postby jamjar » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:42 pm

5Star
Give this a try this, it is the Liquid that the ginger soaks in for weeks at a time to soften, so it has the real deal ginger kick, I go about 1/3 refresher to 2/3 neutral.

http://www.buderimginger.com/home/index ... duct_id=23

Woolies sells it.
jamjar

equipment: 2" Boka

Postby Apple-O-Me-Eye » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:22 pm

I've found it goes really well with blue cheese too.

jamjar wrote:5Star
Give this a try this, it is the Liquid that the ginger soaks in for weeks at a time to soften, so it has the real deal ginger kick, I go about 1/3 refresher to 2/3 neutral.

Woolies sells it.

I think I'm going to have to give this a try once I try some white grape juice and fresh grated ginger.
Apple-O-Me-Eye

Postby MacStill » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:25 pm

I still have half a bottle of the original recipe I knocked up ages ago, it's better now than it was but I still cant drink it :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby R-sole » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:18 am

jamjar wrote:5Star

Woolies sells it.

Yeah, been drinking that with homemade soda water. It's very good, just like an ols stoney.

I will give it a try at some stage i think. I'll start another thread about it.
R-sole

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegies