Postby MacStill » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:39 am

All I can say about this gear through 4 plates is...... WOW! :drool:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Re: Plum Brandy

Postby Ryno » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:52 pm

HI Brains trust.

I ran my first batch of plum brandy on the weekend. I have laid out the cuts and kept the good stuff. My question is. This stuff has a great smell but doesn't have a lot of flavour. Will this flavour develop with ageing. And if so how do you age this stuff (ie wood chips etc) Also is there anything you can add to it? I ask this because I have 400 litters of the stuff and a little variety might be nice.
Ryno

equipment: 100 litre SS boiler
6 inch FSD (Blockhead) 4 Bubble Plate Still
500 mm packed section (filled with copper)
FSD Carter head on SS 60 litre boiler

Plum Brandy

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:20 pm

I'd do some as white dog, some on heavy char American oak, some on toasted French oak, some as a maceration on some fruit too (plums if you can get them - maybe frozen? Or raisins)

Scrap than it sounds like its actually no good. Just send me your address and I'll come and take that muck off your hands...it's probably toxic :-)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby MacStill » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:24 pm

Just give it a little rest on some oak Ryno, I think you'll find the subtle flavours develop in short time.

Or you could put it all back on the pulp for a rest then re run.

I'm sure crow will be along to give you the best advice, he's the guru when it comes to this gear :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Ryno » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:26 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:I'd do some as white dog, some on heavy char American oak, some on toasted French oak, some as a maceration on some fruit too (plums if you can get them - maybe frozen? Or raisins)

Scrap than it sounds like its actually no good. Just send me your address and I'll come and take that muck off your hands...it's probably toxic :-)

cheers for that. I have some French oak, so will try that one.

how much fruit do you macerate? ie 2 plums per litre or is there no hard and fast rule.
Ryno

Postby Ryno » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:33 pm

MacStill wrote:Just give it a little rest on some oak Ryno, I think you'll find the subtle flavours develop in short time.

Or you could put it all back on the pulp for a rest then re run.

I'm sure crow will be along to give you the best advice, he's the guru when it comes to this gear :handgestures-thumbupleft:

no doubt I will be putting it back for a re run.

One thing I did notice. Hopefully Crow or yourself can help. The tails were really hard to pick by smell. But it was a different story with flavour. It seemed to have a slight tannin taste (like tea). However, I put a small amount of sugar (1/4 tea spoon to 200ml of product at 90% ABV) and noticed it disappeared. Am I just masking the flavour or is the sugar taking out the tannin (or what ever the by-product is)
Ryno

Postby crow » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:49 am

Yeah someone did explain to me once why sugar/syrup smooths spirit but I seem to be experiencing a mental block on it right now. No any tannin that was there still will be but yeah it does change chemically when combined with other compounds :-B aging in wood would have a similar effect, sounds like you went a tad deep into your tails. This is not necessarily a bad thing, a lot of guys do this deliberately with stone fruit brandies, me included :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Edit just read back a bit yeah a lot of the flavours are in fact in the tails
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:19 am

Well I ran a batch of this through yesterday and the flavour is amazingly different to the run I did a month ago of the very same stuff, the only thing I can think of is that is has sat on the marc for that whole time & the wine was really cleared beautifully.

:think:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:50 am

yeah ok , is it better? the reason I ask is I have 100 ltrs or so that has been sitting for nearly three months. Its been racked and just waiting to run it in a week or so :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:13 pm

After the 4th glass,who can tell the difference :snooty: :snooty: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby MacStill » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:35 pm

crow wrote:yeah ok , is it better? the reason I ask is I have 100 ltrs or so that has been sitting for nearly three months. Its been racked and just waiting to run it in a week or so :handgestures-thumbupleft:

OH shit yeah, the flavour is quite strong now.... much better :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:41 pm

It should be at 65% ABV :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby MacStill » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:56 pm

I can tell you all right now I won't be mixing tails with this :naughty: the amount of flavor & the depth of it is amazing :dance:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:46 am

Ran another 80 ltrs of plums last night. Of cause a storm hit just as I started :-| and then I ran out of gas halfway through but other that that seems the product is even better after sitting around for 3 months. A very nice drop :handgestures-thumbupleft:
2 more runs and I should be done
crow

Postby vsboost » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:12 am

Well done crow :handgestures-thumbupleft:
vsboost

equipment: Pot Still, 2" Boka

Postby Ryno » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:20 am

crow wrote:Ran another 80 ltrs of plums last night. Of cause a storm hit just as I started :-| and then I ran out of gas halfway through but other that that seems the product is even better after sitting around for 3 months. A very nice drop :handgestures-thumbupleft:
2 more runs and I should be done

Crow, I have about 200 litres of this stuff just sitting there for about 1 1/2 months. Should I just leave it for another 2 months then run it through? Is it worth the weight? The last lot a ran through the still (about 2 weeks ago) I aged with some French oak and the stuff is unbelievable. Only problem is it has set a new bench mark (for me) and now everything else is not up to scratch.
Ryno

Postby crow » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:44 am

I will compare it sometime today but in saying that the longer its left the more chance of infection. Mine was not left out of choice and I have been (dare I say it out loud) lucky. I wouldn't like to push that luck to far
crow

Postby Ryno » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:55 am

Rodger that Crow. I don't think I will push my luck. This stuff is too good as it is to risk. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Ryno

Postby crow » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:38 pm

Wondering how thick is to thick. This chutney is the dregs of the dregs and the thickest shit I've ever charged a boiler with. I tried to strain it every way I knew but it wouldn't go through anything finer than chicken wire
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crow

Postby Kimbo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:36 pm

Are you really gunna distill that? :wtf:
looks like some sort of weird ointment me grandmother used. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Is that just the lees? was there a nice clear wash on top of it?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegies