Plum Brandy

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Re: Plum Brandy

Postby crow » Fri May 03, 2013 9:53 pm

hope everyone's turns out like mine and we can move Slivovich into the proven :D
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Fri May 03, 2013 10:01 pm

I just know from the smell and taste of the wash it's going to come out great, I reckon you should write up a detailed recipe and post it in the T&P section :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Plum Brandy

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri May 03, 2013 10:29 pm

MacStill wrote:
BackyardBrewer wrote:
crow wrote:Of cause you only really need to clear the amount you are thinking of bottling as wine :handgestures-thumbupleft: . some of the gear I put in my boiler was pretty chewy and I had no issues what so ever

Same with my last two bubble runs. Loads of solids of fruit pulp but they came though fine.

With electric elements ?

Fuck I hope so, because if that's the case I'll be running mine tomorrow :pray:

Yes I got these elements off this guy in Perth...:) he's got some good gear you should check him out.

Ran a pulpy fig wash through the keg, rinsed clean as a whistle. Ran an apricot wash that was like thin jam through it...rinsed clean as a whistle.

No scorching, no puking either time. I reckon boiling with some lees/pulp adds a little flavour myself.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby MacStill » Fri May 03, 2013 10:32 pm

Yeah dunno what I'm worried about, guess the worst that could happen is lose 40L of wash :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Hill » Sat May 04, 2013 8:35 am

There's no way it would scorch putting pulp in the boiler cause the boil its self circulates the wash from bottom to top (something like convectual currents i think its called) so nothing stays it the same place long enough to scorch, we were worried about the same thing with our beer setup and have never had a problem, even with some crazy tests in the start.
Hill

equipment: 5 Plate Bubbler with 600mm rock section
4800w 50l boiler
120l Herms brewery
fermenting Chamber

Postby emptyglass » Sat May 04, 2013 10:06 am

I guess the worst that can happen is you have to pull the elements out and give em a clean up.

I ran a boiler full of fruit, with a gas burner, and it scorched where the flame was in contact, just like a frypan. I was happy I had 4" opening, and some good stiff scotch brite. But it was not really a wash, it was sloppy fruit that I ran.
emptyglass

Postby crow » Sat May 04, 2013 11:53 am

hmm ok yeah only ever had a bit of scorching once when doing some tests to see how fast the BD747 will strip I think it was rum and I came to the conclusion that when the bottom quarter of the keg is glowing red you are slightly over doing it (but by jingo it was fast : :D :laughing-rolling: )
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Sun May 05, 2013 1:49 pm

It's in the boiler now, just flicked the switch on :dance:

:pray:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Sun May 05, 2013 1:51 pm

MacStill wrote:It's in the boiler now, just flicked the switch on :dance:

:pray:

New pump I assume?
crow

Postby MacStill » Sun May 05, 2013 1:53 pm

yeah mate they were pretty good down at Bunnings, they exchanged it without a receipt :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Sun May 05, 2013 2:13 pm

far out star scout this gear smells incredible heating up =p~
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Sun May 05, 2013 2:21 pm

yeah I like my whiskey and I like my rum , are they better than this stuff , :think: wouldn't like to call it. One thing I will say is un aged or distress aged this gear is with out a doubt the best I have made anyways
crow

Postby MacStill » Sun May 05, 2013 4:58 pm

OK I'm all done for this run and I've gotta say this gear is pretty impressive through the bubbler, nice plum notes and flavour... I'm impressed :D

I've done my cuts pretty savage at the heads end, but the early tails of this has too much flavour to toss out so I've blended a some in.

Time to sample my first :happy-partydance:

Crow deserves a bit of credit here, he's helped me out immensely throughout this recipe from start to finish and I reckon he should write up this recipe of his for the proven section.

Thanks crow :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Sun May 05, 2013 5:16 pm

Yep will do, sounds like I will be bludging around most of next week so I'll have some time on my hands. I found this can be enjoyed with coke right off tha bat but it will take a little (not so much though) aging to be enjoyable neat or on ice. This brandy really improves with oak very quickly and even more so with heavy char oak . Going from my experience with the Calvados I have no doubt that fruit wood would work well to. I think my past aversion to this was due to tests I did ages ago with fruit wood and wine that in the words of Shania Twain "don't impress me much"
crow

Postby MacStill » Sun May 05, 2013 6:45 pm

Bloody hell crow this gear is nice, much better than any slivo I ever tasted :happy-partydance:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Sun May 05, 2013 7:04 pm

yeah traditional stuff has no cuts , makes a big difference :handgestures-thumbupleft: so does using a proper brandy still I suspect
crow

Postby adam89 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:07 pm

Chasing a little advice on when to run this.

I've tasted mine just before, no real sweetness to the wash. Starting to taste like a wine now. The plums are still floating on top creating a cap. Are they supposed to sink to the bottom once its done or how do you know when it finished?
adam89

equipment: 2" Pot Still (Mac Built)
4" 5 Plate Modular Copper Bubbler (Mac Built)
50L Boiler on Gas
50L Boiler with 2x2400W element

Postby MacStill » Sun May 05, 2013 8:04 pm

Yeah that cap is a little intimidating at first hey, kinda looks like something a dog chucks up :laughing-rolling:

If it's dry like wine and not fizzing anymore I reckon you should charge the boiler :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby emptyglass » Sun May 05, 2013 8:19 pm

MacStill wrote:Bloody hell crow this gear is nice, much better than any slivo I ever tasted :happy-partydance:

Its not bad stuff, thats for sure.
I've had mine on some oak for a few days and it seems to have smoothed it out just nice.
Like crow said, it dosn't take long.
emptyglass

Postby crow » Sun May 05, 2013 9:49 pm

I ran Mine when the cap sank, Id imagine I could have ran it earlier. The reason I got so eager to strain the mark and milk every last drop was just how good the spirit tasted straight out the still and the thought that this is it for another 12 months ;-) . It clears a lot once the cap has sank but the strained mark does not clear ever, when its all said and done I had no issues running any of it
crow

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegies