Plum Brandy

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Re: Plum Brandy

Postby MacStill » Fri May 03, 2013 7:03 pm

Here's a small sample I took out of the fermenter, I'm nearly tempted to rack 20 litres off and try my hand at making some plum wine :think:

IMG_1489.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Fri May 03, 2013 7:10 pm

MacStill wrote: I'm nearly tempted to rack 20 litres off and try my hand at making some plum wine :think:

Yeah I thought that for a few seconds and then I thought fuck that shit go the sliv :laughing-rolling: cause I didn't have 2000 ltr to play around with :icon-lol: :icon-lol: :icon-lol:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Fri May 03, 2013 8:04 pm

Care to PM me any pointers on turning a little bit into wine ? :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Plum Brandy

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri May 03, 2013 8:17 pm

MacStill wrote:Care to PM me any pointers on turning a little bit into wine ? :D

You're right there. I'd rack it to a smaller container and as you do add dissolved supermarket gelatine. Then wait a week to clarify and bottle. If you felt kinky you could throw a tiny bit of oak in to add the barrel aged flavour.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby emptyglass » Fri May 03, 2013 8:23 pm

This was some of mine after racking, it wasn't all that bad, I've tasted worse than it sold as wine.

IMGP3871B.jpg

What does the gelatin do crow?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emptyglass

Postby crow » Fri May 03, 2013 8:49 pm

WineGlass wrote:What does the gelatin do crow?

BYB suggested that but what it does is settle out the solids :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Plum Brandy

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri May 03, 2013 9:05 pm

crow wrote:
WineGlass wrote:What does the gelatin do crow?

BYB suggested that but what it does is settle out the solids :handgestures-thumbupleft:

This, it's sold as "finings"at all the HBS's.

Finings cost $5 a pack. Gelatine costs about .20c.

Whenever you see a wine label that says treated with egg or fish then this is finings that they use to polish up the product. Drops out all the gunk and particulates.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby MacStill » Fri May 03, 2013 9:07 pm

So how much would I use to clear 1200 litres ? :shifty:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Fri May 03, 2013 9:12 pm

Actually... finings I think you will find is not gelatine but does almost the same thing. i think you will find that that product is made of some sort of crustaceans it may also contain extracts from egg but yeah gelatine will do much the same thing for much much less
crow

Postby emptyglass » Fri May 03, 2013 9:18 pm

umm whoops, sorry BYB.

Not being a winemaker, I don't know, but what I knocked up certainly tasted and looked like wine. Probably a heap of other processes to go through to be called wine, but I reckon it was close.
As they say, if it looks like shit, and tastes like shit, it probably is

Maybe you would get a better yeild off 2000kg of plums making it into wine mac?
emptyglass

Postby MacStill » Fri May 03, 2013 9:26 pm

WineGlass wrote:

WTF ?
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Fri May 03, 2013 9:30 pm

MacStill wrote:
WineGlass wrote:

WTF ?

I think he's still sore about his no add sugar shit yield Mac :laughing-rolling: and to tell you the truth I had so much trouble telling the difference in taste that I said fuck it and mixed it all together anyhow :handgestures-thumbupleft: As for the headache story hmm haven't had one yet from it so the verdict is "fap, fap , fap , fap :laughing-rolling:
Edit sorry EG I tried hard but just couldn't help myself :teasing-tease:
crow

Plum Brandy

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri May 03, 2013 9:34 pm

Hey empty, you deployed the age old magic method of "patience" I saw your crystal clear drop and yeah that would be" table wine" as they say in the classics.

To speed it up you use finings. As crow said the industrial stuff is egg/fish based but gelatine will do the same thing for cheaper.

It pulls the solids out very quickly.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby MacStill » Fri May 03, 2013 9:35 pm

MacStill wrote:So how much would I use to clear 1200 litres ? :shifty:

:think:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Plum Brandy

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri May 03, 2013 9:36 pm

MacStill wrote:So how much would I use to clear 1200 litres ? :shifty:

I use 20g per 25l fermenter. So times 40 maybe?
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby emptyglass » Fri May 03, 2013 9:40 pm

Oh not the dreaded turbo clear??!!

Is that where the crap came from? Winemaking?
emptyglass

Postby crow » Fri May 03, 2013 9:40 pm

Of cause you only really need to clear the amount you are thinking of bottling as wine :handgestures-thumbupleft: . some of the gear I put in my boiler was pretty chewy and I had no issues what so ever
crow

Postby MacStill » Fri May 03, 2013 9:42 pm

crow wrote:Of cause you only really need to clear the amount you are thinking of bottling as wine :handgestures-thumbupleft: . some of the gear I put in my boiler was pretty chewy and I had no issues what so ever

I'm tempted, but the internal elements and solids prolly aint going to be too flash
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Plum Brandy

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri May 03, 2013 9:44 pm

crow wrote:Of cause you only really need to clear the amount you are thinking of bottling as wine :handgestures-thumbupleft: . some of the gear I put in my boiler was pretty chewy and I had no issues what so ever

Same with my last two bubble runs. Loads of solids of fruit pulp but they came though fine.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby MacStill » Fri May 03, 2013 9:50 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:

Same with my last two bubble runs. Loads of solids of fruit pulp but they came though fine.

With electric elements ?

Fuck I hope so, because if that's the case I'll be running mine tomorrow :pray:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegies