This years slivovitz or plum brandy.

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Postby emptyglass » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:28 pm

Well after loosing all but one little tree of plums to the birds, I thought I was out.
But I managed to score 60 litres of plums today. They don't suit all the recipies I've seen for this drink, but I made some from the same tree 2 sesons ago. It wasn't bad at all, just a little different.
These ones are smallish, pale red colour, pale flesh with a free stone, plenty of wild yeast on them that they havn't had in past years (the tree is at my mums). I'm hoping to get another bucket, possibly 2 tomorrow. This should give me enough to get a little return. I was lucky enough that the neighbors were home and put the 4 mean junk yard dogs in the house, and let me pick their side.

As these are a touch on the ripe side, the plan is to lay them out on a bit of tin and let them finnish ripening as much as they can, for a few days or maybe even a week if they are still looking good.
Then steep them for as long as it takes to go soft, mash and into the ferment, and recipie from there.
The twist might come if I manage to get some promised plums from old auntie, and if I get some from my small netted tree. These should both be dark blood plums. They will be added to the steep stage if timing works. These ones are 3 weeks away at least, so they might get done seperatly, depending on quantity.

This time it'll go through a bubbler insted of the ol' pot still :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Anyone else doing slivovitz (or what ever you want to call it) this year?
emptyglass

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:52 pm

Photos! And please, ongoing progress reports.

The birds were kept off my apricots with nets but they are raping my pears:-(

Too busy & lazy to net the pear tree.

Reckon there's wild yeast on pears uncoils work with?
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: This years slivovitz or plum brandy.

Postby crow » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:40 pm

yep yellow fleshed plums one as slivovich one lot as brandy got about 70 or 80 ltrs of blood plums that I will most likely do as brandy (undecided) :D
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:44 pm

I'm "plum" out of luck for making anything like that this year 8-}
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby emptyglass » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:41 pm

Geez mac, that'd be enough to send you plum crazy.

Well, the plan has changed. I sat the buckets outside the shed, forgot about them till after tea, and the result was sun scorched plums on the top of the buckets. Realisticly, I have nowhere to put them out that wont be seen as a feast by the birds. After a pretty warm day today, they are all goings soft, so in the drum they went.
I didn't get a chance today to get some more, so hopefully there will still be some on the tree tomorrow.
I'll add them, then cover them with water.
The olive drum was going to be my big rum fermenter. Was.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emptyglass

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:57 pm

When you say "was" do you mean that the plumage will taint the fermenter?

My 200L fermenter is 3/4 full of apricot wash and I plan on using that for rums sometime this year. Fingers crossed my rum won't taste of apricot.

;-)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby emptyglass » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:59 pm

Nahh mate, I just cant use it for rum when its full of plums
emptyglass

Postby crow » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:07 pm

ha EG look at cuppies rum mango thread, anything is possible ;-) . I would still use the sun damaged plums, the damage will be mostly to the skin and who care what they look like. They are going to look a whole lot worst once they are in the fermenter ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby emptyglass » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:12 pm

I found some pics of the stuff I did a while back.

From memory, the brew room smelt divine during the run.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emptyglass

Postby emptyglass » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:14 pm

crow wrote:ha EG look at cuppies rum mango thread, anything is possible ;-) . I would still use the sun damaged plums, the damage will be mostly to the skin and who care what they look like. They are going to look a whole lot worst once they are in the fermenter ;-)

Don't worry mate, they are in there. As are a few prune like ones, some bird pecked ones, and I guess the odd rotten one slipped through. Maybe two? Maybe more...

The bulk of them are good. I won't mention the extra nitrogen kick from the bird shitted ones.
emptyglass

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:15 pm

Thumbs Up!

Great pix, my apricots resemble that sludge! Nice to see the siphon working....

That plus crow's beach towel method and I'll wring every drop out of those suckers!

;-)

WineGlass wrote:I found some pics of the stuff I did a while back.

From memory, the brew room smelt divine during the run.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby crow » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:23 pm

Ok this is what I do : I mash the plums with a plaster mixer on a drill , I don't add water unless I have to as they tend to mash better like that . Once I'm happy with the mashed fruit then I will add water and further mix this I add to the fermenter. not 100% of the plums will be mashed and that's fine as they will float with the cap I will mash them further when punching the cap. Its my personal opinion that it wouldn't matter if I didn't as the fruit will continue to soften in the ferment until the skin ruptures anyway
crow

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:28 pm

Does that bust up the kernels? I halved all the apricots and kept the kernels separate until I'd pulped all the fruit. Do you keep kernels in this mash?
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby emptyglass » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:31 pm

After their day in the sun, the skin rupture is not a prob. If I added some sugar, I reckon I would have made plum jam.
Got sticky shit everywhere plucking out the leaves, sticks and other shit I didn't want in there.

So how would you define the difference between slivovitz and brandy? How is a brandy made with plums? I might like brandy more than slivo. I am going to cover them with water as thats what old czech mate said. It worked last time.
emptyglass

Postby crow » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:50 pm

Sliv relies 100% on the wild yeast the fruit and on the sugar in the fruit only, any deviation form this is brandy (so I'm told), I got no problem with either way and am doing both methods presently but the yield to going to be way the hell down with the sliv as is the ferment time . :)) That's why I'm only doing 25 ltrs that way
crow

Postby emptyglass » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:15 pm

Good idea mate. A bit extra work, but it's worth it to at least have a "control" batch, then you can judge the outcomes with confidance.

But a man can only have so many buckets kicking around. I still got buckets, but I'm running out of concrete.

Fkuc, I ran out long ago, what shit am I talking. Thats why my little plumy freinds got a suntan, lack of space. :angry-banghead:
emptyglass

Postby emptyglass » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:17 pm

Well the big drum is ready to rack off and run. Better pull my finger out.
IMGP3778B.jpg

IMGP3868B.jpg
emptyglass

Postby emptyglass » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:24 pm

Heres some pics of the small drum from my own dark plums.

Both lots are just about ready to run, just gotta find the time.
I havn't rushed this lot, no good starting now.
emptyglass

Postby crow » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:20 am

Holy ducks butts batman that took along time to ferment out. I racked my last lot back in Feb. and put in storage containers to run when I get home
crow

Postby emptyglass » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:08 pm

Good things come to those that wait.

It didn't take long to ferment, just a long time to clear.

This is how I like it!
I've had red wine with more sediment. Mind you, the first and last buckets didn't come out so clean. Jeez this stuff's a bitch to rack.

IMGP3871B.jpg

IMGP3870B.jpg

IMGP3869B.jpg
emptyglass

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegies