This years slivovitz or plum brandy.

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Re: This years slivovitz or plum brandy.

Postby Awesome » Fri May 24, 2013 2:16 pm

The plum brandy has been made for years with simple but effective equipment I make more than most of this product so this is how i make it
The sugar plums come from Yass they are the same plums that are used for dry prunes but any sweet plums can be used I collect my plumbs in plastic 200lt screw top drums this is the normal way to buy them the plums are transported home we leave them in a cool place out of the direct sun as to much heat will make them ferment to fast the fermentation can take anywhere from 2 weeks to a month don't worry take your time make sure that the lid can let the gas out you can place a trap on if you wish but make sure that it is large enuff in size that the water doesn't get blown out .
the smell of the plumbs is glorious
You will find that the plums will float on the wash as they will dry out on top you can skim the dry ones off I check the plums every 3 days or so but don't worry thy will look after themselves when all the fermentation has finished note you don't have to crush the plums they will brake down by them selves.
When all has finished and we are ready to go I like to remove the pulp and I put it in a wine press .some people put the pulp in there still I don't those that do always have to add water and be mindful that the pulp does not stick to the bottom of the still if it burns it will impart a burnt flavour that you will have trouble removing at the bottom of the barrel you will find the stones leave these out run your still as per normal you should end up with approximately 10 percent brandy to wash
Awesome

equipment: Pot still 240lt working capacity shotgun type condenser

Postby SBB » Fri May 24, 2013 3:38 pm

Awesome, just wondering if you oak your Plumb Spirit or leave it white?
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Awesome » Fri May 24, 2013 4:28 pm

No most of it never touches wood it drunk to soon some is put away in a small keg French oak from memory
Awesome

equipment: Pot still 240lt working capacity shotgun type condenser

Postby emptyglass » Fri May 24, 2013 8:57 pm

Good stuff mate, your plums must have a good sugar content to get to 10%, or is it more the techniquie you use?

My czech mate drinks it white, by the shotglass.
emptyglass

Postby SBB » Fri May 24, 2013 9:53 pm

Awesome wrote:The sugar plums come from Yass they are the same plums that are used for dry prunes

Id say these are the secret EG, most dried fruits are made using varieties of fruit with high sugar content to the best of my knowledge
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegies