what to do with grapefruit?

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

what to do with grapefruit?

Postby invisigoth » Sun May 26, 2013 6:08 pm

our grapefruit tree has a mass of fruit on it at the moment. way more than anyone can eat, and i don't. does anyone have experience with brewing grapefruit? can anything worthwhile be done with them in the way of a brandy? the only stuff i've seen so far has involved using them for flavouring vodkas and neutrals, and i don't wanna do that. :roll:
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Re: what to do with grapefruit?

Postby crow » Sun May 26, 2013 6:16 pm

Pomponcello ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby invisigoth » Sun May 26, 2013 7:24 pm

invisigoth wrote: the only stuff i've seen so far has involved using them for flavouring vodkas and neutrals, and i don't wanna do that. :roll:

crow: erm i'm interested in brewing, not flavoring :teasing-neener: looking up pomecello comes up pretty light on info but i'm assuming that's limoncello with grapefruit. i haven't seen anything about brewing lemons for that, only using lemon zest. :wtf:
invisigoth

Postby MacStill » Sun May 26, 2013 7:30 pm

I got a post/topic round ear somewhere from last year when I made a lemon vodka & lemon rum by fermenting the fruit.... fucked if I could find it though :angry-banghead:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Sun May 26, 2013 8:34 pm

SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Sun May 26, 2013 9:00 pm

yeah that's it, the vodka we made from that lot is regarded as "the velvet" from a full on vodka fella I met recently, only problem is we only have around a litre of 40% left and it is heavily guarded by mrs mac ;-)

Also later in that thread "i think" I added a fair amount of that wash to a molasses wash and made some terrific citrus rum, quite a few WABS members still rave about that gear.

Not sure how the grapefruit would go but if it's free it's worth having a crack, if it fails run it through a VM for neutral :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby invisigoth » Sun May 26, 2013 11:04 pm

MacStill wrote:Not sure how the grapefruit would go but if it's free it's worth having a crack, if it fails run it through a VM for neutral :handgestures-thumbupleft:

well i'll give it a go and see. i'll be juicing tomorrow. if it doesn't work out i've made a 400mm extension and had a crack at making an extra plate module. i'm just waiting on a bloke to get back to me about the clamps and seals ....... :whistle:
invisigoth

Postby MacStill » Sun May 26, 2013 11:07 pm

invisigoth wrote:
MacStill wrote:Not sure how the grapefruit would go but if it's free it's worth having a crack, if it fails run it through a VM for neutral :handgestures-thumbupleft:

well i'll give it a go and see. i'll be juicing tomorrow. if it doesn't work out i've made a 400mm extension and had a crack at making an extra plate module. i'm just waiting on a bloke to get back to me about the clamps and seals ....... :whistle:

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: fuck! ok mate PM coming your way :romance-kisscheek:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby invisigoth » Mon May 27, 2013 11:06 am

well, just to get an idea of how much juice i'll get, i picked 10 and juiced them. 1.25l of juice was what they gave me. i know there is at least 100 fruit on the tree. don't think there is enough fruit to get away with not adding sugar, so i'll follow mac's recipe, more or less. i always feel like i'm cheating adding sugar to any brew. x_x
invisigoth

Postby blond.chap » Mon May 27, 2013 11:41 am

invisigoth wrote: I always feel like i'm cheating adding sugar to any brew. x_x

I felt the same way until I tried a few batches with sugar added, tastes pretty good to me compared to anything commercial.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Kimbo » Mon May 27, 2013 9:59 pm

MacStill wrote:

Also later in that thread "i think" I added a fair amount of that wash to a molasses wash and made some terrific citrus rum, quite a few WABS members still rave about that gear.

:text-+1: :dance:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MacStill » Mon May 27, 2013 10:04 pm

Sugar derived from a plant to make alcohol, how the fuck can you see it as cheating ? 8-}
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby invisigoth » Tue May 28, 2013 12:22 am

MacStill wrote:Sugar derived from a plant to make alcohol, how the fuck can you see it as cheating ? 8-}

it just is :teasing-neener:
invisigoth

Postby crow » Tue May 28, 2013 4:01 pm

invisigoth wrote:
MacStill wrote:Sugar derived from a plant to make alcohol, how the fuck can you see it as cheating ? 8-}
it just is :teasing-neener:

Bullshit, with a saccharification mash I could see the "cheating" point but using fruit with little or no sugar is just foolish unless you add some. You can make some nice drinks out of citrus marc and peel but if you don't add sugar in one form or another it won't ferment and all you will get is a bit of oil, by your description any alcohol you get would be derived from "cheating"
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Tue May 28, 2013 4:04 pm

crow wrote:Bullshit, with a saccharification mash I could see the "cheating" point but using fruit with little or no sugar is just foolish unless you add some. You can make some nice drinks out of citrus marc and peel but if you don't add sugar in one form or another it won't ferment and all you will get is a bit of oil, by your description any alcohol you get would be derived from "cheating"

:text-imwithstupid:

:text-lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Cane Toad » Tue May 28, 2013 4:08 pm

:text-thankyoublue: Me too :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Return to Fruit & Vegies