Apple Brandy

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Apple Brandy

Postby Frothwizard » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:28 pm

So after a failed attempt at apple cider, which I've written about previously, I managed to scrounge 14.5L of ~ 6% "cider" and put it through the pot.

Well I gotta say, normally foreshots are funky...but as it started dripping out, it smelt and tasted so fucking nice...it was all I could do to not collect it with the rest.

Knowing full well that I wouldn't have enough or the inclination to ever do a strip/spirit run later on. I was just getting the best I could tell and collecting a 1 run test.

So after about 100ml of fores I gathered roughly 1.5L of 45% (I didn't measure but I collected it in a 2L jar). Stopped collecting at 35% because I didn't want to go too deep into tails and I wanted an overall ABV above 40%. Let tails run out.

Gave the jar a good shake and poured myself a shot glass.

:text-thankyoublue: to everyone who told me not to throw it out and to put it through the still. It tastes so good!!!

Probably gonna have a few more glasses of the white stuff then shove some toasted oak in there and let it mellow.

Cheers lads!
Frothwizard

equipment: - Airstill
- FSD 4" 5 Plate Bubbler w/ Packed Section
- 50L Keg Boiler w/ 2 x 2400W Weldless Elements

Re: Apple Brandy

Postby Sam. » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:49 pm

Thats an awesome result mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If it's good out the still imagine how well it would be after a couple of months on oak :dance:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Fruit & Vegies