Quinces

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Quinces

Postby Mr Four Square » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:11 pm

Anyone got a recipe for making a quince wash?

I have heard they make a brilliant spirit with delicately perfumed scent. Sounds pretty good to me.

Any advice much appreciated thanks
Mr Four Square

equipment: T500 Boiler 2"pot head + reflux

Re: Quinces

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:45 pm

Never heard of one but if you could slow roast them you could bring out a different flavour.

I think they are very high in pectin though :think:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby bt1 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:10 am

I think they are very high in pectin though

+1 The fores and early heads throw needs to be well...huge to be anywhere near safe. Apparently one of the worst actually.

From web reading ...one of the few fruits that self set as a jam/jelly due to pectin levels... firm = pectin high , over ripe/softer= flavour

Worth a crack for sure but I'd be real cautious on the cuts.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby kiwikeg » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:27 am

My Nana used to make jam/jelly from Quinces they were slow to ripen so she used to pick them and put the on a shelf for weeks till the were really ripe,soft almost spoilt. She had a word for the stage of ripeness but it escapes me.
If your looking for a supply of quinces try old pear trees as quince was commonly used as a rootstock for grafting pears and if pruning gets neglected the quince likes to sprout new branches from below the graft scar.
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Mr Four Square » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:29 pm

It makes a great fruit paste. There are a few recipies for mascerating them with vodka or brandy too.

Getting the fruit shouldn't be problem anyone who has one doesn't know what to do with them.

On a 23 litre wash I'll throw 150ml of fores and won't use the first litre of heads. That should be safe enough. What does pectinaise do?
Mr Four Square

Postby Smbjk » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:03 pm

Yep they are high in pectin. You ever seen quince paste for cheese... sticky stuff. Pectin is used in jams as a setting agent. Not sure how this would effect the wash, suppose it depends on how much quince you use. Maybe you could try a quince vodka and use diced quince as a botanical in a ginn basket this would probably work well with a cater head like the one that mac made for doc, the one with the diversion chain where you can only infuse the hearts if you want :think: just a thought
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:33 pm

Yeast + pectin = methanol.

Not my post but;

methanol comes from the pectin, which mainly composed of methyl esters of galactose. When pectin breaks down, by enzymes introduced by microorganisms, or deliberately introduced, the methyl esters combine with water to produce methanol, so the aim should be to leave the pectin well alone if you can.

Google "pectin in distilling" there is alot of info on it.

I believe that you could make a decent spirit from quince, given the flavour of them to be quite pleasant, but as bt said you would need to be very harsh on cuts.

They are an under used (or not completely understood) fruit that have more use than accompanying cheese platters, whether that in in a wash is still green fields mate. I say go for it if you're confident in your cuts :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

Postby Mr Four Square » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:56 pm

So many talk about quinces perfume it has to be good.

Got it ! Pectinase helps to break down the pectin which binds the cell walls in plants. This results in higher juice extraction and probably quicker fermentation as the cell is easier for the yeast to consume. Here's to learning !

Does that mean that there would be even more methanol to collect if I use Pectinase? Or not relevant?
Mr Four Square

Postby Urrazeb » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:59 pm

Mr Four Square wrote:So many talk about quinces perfume it has to be good.

Got it ! Pectinase helps to break down the pectin which binds the cell walls in plants. This results in higher juice extraction and probably quicker fermentation as the cell is easier for the yeast to consume. Here's to learning !

Does that mean that there would be even more methanol to collect if I use Pectinase? Or not relevant?

My understanding is it will increase methanol content, and in this case unnecessarily. If you mash the fruit enough you shouldn't require any further additives to break cell walls. I think this will just increase your heads fraction and decrease your heart cut.

Use a drill mixer attachment (could even sharpen it up) and give the very ripe fruit a buzz in a bucket, should be enough to break it down for the yeast to do it's job.
Urrazeb

Postby twobottles » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:35 pm

Ripe quince juice has a lovely aroma indeed and tastes a little similar to pineapple juice. Somebody who isnt me has fifty or so trees and collects the juice to flavour cider. Im sure I remember him telling me something about a method of removing the pectin before fermentation, a french method of cider production. Might just have things jumbled in my head but I think that you add something which turns it into a jelly then you either scoop it off the top or syphon the juice from below..... Anyone?
twobottles

equipment: 50 mm pure distilling reflux still, extension with extra scrubbies, now triclamped to a 50l keg with a triple ring gas burner. 2" modular shottie pot still!

Postby Urrazeb » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:15 pm

Ahh so you could do a "pasteurization" with the quince juice before adding to the wash.. :think:

Good thinking TB.

Pretty sure heating and crash cooling will drop the pectin, never done it myself but hopefully someone more experienced can chime in here..
Urrazeb

Postby Mr Four Square » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:44 am

TB hope someone pops up with the French connection

UZ Thanks for the advice about Pectinase. I'll make a drill powered blender and scrat them up and manage the methanol with large cuts.

I have found a few Serbian? language clips on Youtube showing them making their version called Dunjevca so I'm leaning towards Chills suggested recipe for now ...

Scrat 5- 10 kgs of ripe quinces
5kgs of sugar
23 litres of water
Yeast ( 25gms EC1118)

I'm assuming the water and sugar are the compromise so you don't have to mash large amounts of fruit (which would give you plenty of natural liquid and sugars)

Pretty much Crows Plum recipe which works great.
Mr Four Square

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:59 pm

Cool mate. Let us know how it goes! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

Postby twobottles » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:02 pm

We'll I found what I was looking for just not sure how useful it would be in the quince context. It's called "keeving" http://www.cider.org.uk/keeving.html
twobottles

equipment: 50 mm pure distilling reflux still, extension with extra scrubbies, now triclamped to a 50l keg with a triple ring gas burner. 2" modular shottie pot still!

Postby Mr Four Square » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:46 am

One year later ... I used the recipe and it made a beautiful drop. Stripped it first then slow distilled. Just finished the last of it at Christmas.

A mate just dropped 30 kgs of lovely yellow quinces on me 8-} so I am at it again. Upping the fruit this time to 10kgs a batch figuring that the flavour was so good why not more but I'm keeping the 5 kg of sugar. They have a lot of natural sugar but almost no juice. Barely enough to wet the bottom of the bucket from 25 kg of pulp. I've seen videos of old style making in Serbia ( Dunjevaca) and they use massive amounts of fruit. The wash is like porridge and you need a clever stirrer thing inside your boiler to stop the wash burning to the bottom . For my set up I'm happy to top it up with water and sugar.

If you can get hold of some of these I highly recommend stilling some. They run a little late in the season so plenty of time to get the summer fruits out of the way before it's Q time.
Mr Four Square

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:07 am

How to Test for Pectin
This is a proven standard test for pectin content and luckily it's hard to go wrong with.

Take one teaspoon of clear boiling fruit juice and drop into a cold glass or cup, allow it to cool for a minute and then add three teaspoons of methylated spirit and swirl it around or gently shake.
If a large clot forms from the juice, adequate pectin for a good set has been extracted and the sugar may be added to the fruit and juice
If there is only a medium amount of pectin, several small clots will form
wynnum1

Postby Triangle » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:46 pm

Sounds good 4 square. Last year when in Serbia I gave the Brandy a good work out and I reckon quince was probably my favourite, and I'm pretty sure I tried just about every fruit :-D I'd drank plum for years as the staple diet for ethnics, I reckon it would be down the bottom of the list now.

Pity I wasn't into the distilling thing back then, there were a heap of stills around the place I should have got some pictures of. This is the only one I took a pic of.....no idea how this one cools!

Triangle

equipment: To be anounced!

Postby Mr Four Square » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:15 pm

Is the one on the left a copper worm for cooling I n a barrel ?
Wow what a trip. What did you learn about the making? There is so little juice in them but plenty of sugar and flavour so I guess they add water to large amounts of chipped fruit and ferment that?

There are plenty of you tube videos if you can understand Serbian let us know if they give any secrets away !

Here's one. http://youtu.be/qaFy6jlf5EA

My latest batch is still bubbling away 2 weeks after pitching. Looking forward to a stronger brew as I've doubled the fruit. :happy-partydance:
Mr Four Square

Postby Zaximus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:23 am

Mr Four Square wrote:
If you can get hold of some of these I highly recommend stilling some. They run a little late in the season so plenty of time to get the summer fruits out of the way before it's Q time.

Mate I couldn't agree more! This is a very unknown fruit here in Oz but is so incredibly beautiful and aromatic. The last timei had quince spirit, or Dunjevaca, I was sitting ina ski resort in Vlasic, Bosnia, in front of a fire with my wife and the hotel owner who had actually made the Dunjevaca himself. Incredible stuff, although the bloke wouldn't give up the recipe :naughty:

Got 2 × 30L fermenters @ the 2 week mark too so really looking forward to running this! Well definitely run as much of this now while it's the season as I can that's for sure. Please post how yours turns out mate, as well I. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zaximus

equipment: Pot still with a thumper

Postby Mr Four Square » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:35 pm

Happy days brother ! I'm hoping Triangle Going Sick or someone else with an ear for the Balkans will translate some of those YouTube clips and crack the code. This years wash is still popping away merrily coming up to its fourth week.

The French call this Eau de vie du coing. Pronounced qua. BTW just noticed the avatar . Freestone European plum ! The real deal. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Mr Four Square

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegies